1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Sony A73/A7R3/A7S3/A9 Thread

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by traveyb, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Spleen Sauce

Wise Guy

So your earlier comment that said, "The colours are better on sony, more natural and raw whilst the canon colours are pre cooked" doesn't make much sense if you couldn't tell the difference :p

I think we're arguing over whether a Porsche or a Ferrari is better. Matter of opinion really, both are going to do an amazing job, the limitation isn't ever likely to be the gear, it's the person using it (certainly in my case).

2. jonneymendoza

Capodecina

They are better. The blind test asked which raw image they liked better and many chose Sony, another one had Sony fuji canon etc and ask people to pick the Canon and barely anyone got the Canon pic right.

So much for canon having better colour science lol.

And there are limitation related to gear, I can't shoot sports with 1fps canon mirrorless toys with subpar af on lenses bigger than my Sony 400mm F2.8 (there is no rf mount equivalent yet some of there lenses are just as big lmao ;))

Stick with canon and I'll stick with my gear that's better than canon in almost every catagory.

3. Spleen Sauce

Wise Guy

:rolleyes:

4. aoaaron

Wise Guy

I think someones just a bit bitter that they've pumped all their money into Sony and now Canon have decided to take the mirrorless game seriously.

5. And

Hitman

At the end of the day it's the photographer (and their post-processing skills) that makes the biggest difference, not the system. The camera is a means of recording what the photographer sees and the 'darkroom' is the means to then show how the photographer sees.

6. jonneymendoza

Capodecina

You mean someone who wasted money on canon lol

7. ethan

Soldato

Not being judgemental in any way but are the issues between the 200-600 specific to that camera?
    I'm wavering between a A7r3 and the IV.

8. tatts

Wise Guy

If you have or want the 200-600 then don't buy the R4. Lots of info out there on the AF issues. I've gone back to the R3 and added an A9 now. With the reply i had back from sony yesterday (Japan and Tokyo) we won't be getting a fix anytime soon.

9. footman

Mobster

The A9 and 200-600 is a marriage made in heaven. My A7R3 had focus hunting issues, albeit moderate, with the 200-600 but it was enough to make me switch to the A9.The difference is night and day and the IQ has no real world difference for me.

10. tatts

Wise Guy

I was missing so many shots with the R4 and 200-600 IQ didn't play a part, even static objects I was seeing over 60% of shots missed. The A9 feels like cheating after the R3 and R4, The crop factor was good but the file size and missed shots are not something I will miss.

11. The_Abyss

Capodecina

Can anyone recommend a set of extension tubes for the A7iii?

12. footman

Mobster

I use a Meike set, 10mm + 16mm, seem to work OK, there is a very small amount of rotational play in them but doesn't appear to affect my images, they still look awful:D.

13. divuk83

Wise Guy

I have a set of Neewer tubes. They were cheap and feel pretty cheap but they work fine. There is a little play in them and they feel a bit crusty when mounting them. Some of the reviews I read mentioned them damaging the electrical contacts on the camera mount or the lens and while hey don't mount that smoothly, if done with care I have had no issues at all. I did look at the Kenko ones, but they are quite expensive and don't look much better. The whole point of them is that they are cheap, if I was going to do macro seriously I would get a proper macro lens!

Dave

14. The_Abyss

Capodecina

Thanks both, I've ordered the Meike set and will see how I get on with those. I haven't used a set for years, but would just like to try a few things while spending longer at home.