1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Sony A73/A7R3/A7S3/A9 Thread

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by traveyb, Apr 19, 2017.

1. And

Hitman

I just switch the power save time to 30 min if the situation calls for it as the Sony bodies are noticeably slower to wake (than Canon DSLR), otherwise I keep it on 2 min and tap menu or half press to 'ready' the camera in anticipation.

2. antc

Wise Guy

Thank you that's a lot of useful detail and information there, much appreciated!

3. Jase

Mobster

Why do you want to make the switch, what sort of photography do you do?

Canon look like they are making a real effort with their upcoming mirrorless cameras so I'd say now isn't a good time to change, wait a few months and see what happens.

Personally I though the A73 was terrible how anyone can put up with the awful EVF is beyond me, the ergonomics are just as bad. Same went for the A7RIII and that's why as the time I had multiple systems.

I gradually made the full switch from Nikon to Sony when they released the A7RIV and A9II. The A7RIV had a much better EVF, ergonomics and better weather sealing (and yes I had zero confidence in the previous models weather sealing) alhough.

With the A9II there was very little difference apart from ergonomics and weather sealing.. which sort of leads me to where I'm going with this.

Sony have had a massive lead in the FF mirrorless market for many years, yet in a very short time the likes of Canon getting close to them and they are releasing some amazing glass to go with it (so are Nikon but at a snails pace).

There's a limit to how much time Sony can rely on their eye AF etc to sell their cameras and the hype from Youtubers. They are still using pathetic rear screen with limited touch capability even on their new cameras such at the A7RIV. Their user interface and menus are a nightmare.

Don't get me wrong I'm happy with Sony (it was and at the moment is the best choice for me) however I'm not sure if I was looking to change to mirrorless now I'd jump to Sony, I would probably wait a few more months and see what happens.

I'd jump back to Nikon (or Canon) as soon as they have a decent pro body and lens line up which I don't think will be too long.

4. ethan

Soldato

Problem with Nikon however is you can't rely on shutter priority all the time and the continual switch from that to manual when you need to can send you crackers-especially for wildlife where conditions are changing all the time. I'd prefer an EVF over an optical viewfinder any day despite thinking my Nikon D850 is one of the most accomplished cameras I have ever used. I'm sad to see it go.

5. Raymond Lin

Capo Crimine

I have to agree. I got my Sony 2 years ago, the landscape was different then, much.

However, I would still wait a while before moving to Canon, they still are missing a few key glass like a 35/1.4. Also there is pretty much zero used market for them right now so getting into them with new glass is very much cost prohibitive, if I sell my Sony 85/1.4 and get the Canon 85/1.2 RF, the GM will only cover like 40% of the Canon, I have to find double and then some of more cash. So the diminishing returns in swapping is way high right now.

6. Jase

Mobster

The D850 was/is imo the best DSLR made, I loved it and really can't think of anything I disliked about it and I still miss the timelapse feature which always did a great job. I just needed a smaller/lighter system and from using my Fuji gear for years I got so used to the benefits of mirrorless.

7. Jase

Mobster

That's a good point, I'm actually finding that with Sony too... try finding a used Sony 600mm f4 GM :(

8. ethan

Soldato

Especially since mirrorless lenses are becoming larger and heavier ;) Seriously the weight of the FE 200-600. I didn't realize it was heavier than my 150-600.

9. Jase

Mobster

I've got a 200-600 and it is a beast of a lens, I generally use it when I have a need and its the only lens I carry, still want a 600mm f4 instead though :) For everything else there was a big enough weight saving to make it worthwhile and my 16-35 2.8GM is the same weight (actually slightly lighter) than my old Nikon f4.

10. marcus_667

Wise Guy

bored of my gear fancy a change reckon its worth going from eos r to a73?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
  11. Spleen Sauce

Wise Guy

No.

12. The_Abyss

Capodecina

Doubt it, if you're looking for something dramatically better or different.

What's boring you about the Canon that you think a Sony A7iii will cure?

13. Jase

Mobster

This.

14. marcus_667

Wise Guy

When buying the R which I have barely used I was toying with the sony then for the 10 fps and full frame mirrorless . as I usually shoot motorsport (obviously done jack this year human malware problems) , I listened to my old man and not my heart as it just appealed to me some with its features .

But really fancying me an A73 with a tamron 28-75 2.8 , 70-200 and 100-400/200-600

15. Jase

Mobster

You realise the R is a full frame so the only other feature you've mentioned is 10fps which is just 2 more than the R anyway.

Sounds like you just want to change and looking for some justification, it's your money so buy what you like, you're not going to see any benefit and you'll probably find some things which are worse.

16. marcus_667

Wise Guy

R is 5 fps in constant and i know its full frame

17. Jase

Mobster

My point remains that you have already decided that you want to change you really don't need to to ask if it's a good idea.

18. marcus_667

Wise Guy

Very good point tbh , cheers :)

19. Jase

Mobster

Before you buy the A73 though, I would say to check out the A9, there are some good deals on that and you certainly would see a difference especially for sports.

20. Spleen Sauce

Wise Guy

I agree with this - if you’re going to go to the effort of changing systems, you might as well do it properly and go with something that’ll actually make a big difference to what you want to shoot.