The Sony A73/A7R3/A7S3/A9 Thread

Soldato
I'm more interested in the newly announced 100-400mm gm lens.

A7rii is more than enough camera for me, even if this a9 is amazing, the a7rii was already pricier than I could sensibly justify.

But that 100-400mm could replace my fe 70-300mm and sigma 150-600mm. With a bit of compromise, but oh so much more portable.

Would rather it was black though :)

Man of Honour
I'd consider the system switch to this from a 5D3, it's the only camera IMO that seems to be worthy of a complete upgrade in every possible area barring price (lol).

So much so, that i priced up body and lenses that I'd be looking at and came to:

SonyA9.jpg

Dat price...

The 85 and 35 1.4s are what I already have from Sigma, the two ranges I almost exclusively shoot at. But I can't seem to find a decent ultra-wide for the E-mount system (hence the addition of the 24-70 2.8.

I currently have Tamron's 15-30 2.8 VC which is absolutely great, so something similar would have been ideal.

Caporegime
Putting price aside. it is simply the lack of glass, lack of flashes. I need to replace

16-35/2.8
24-70/2.8
20/1.4
24/1.4
35/1.4
45/2.8 TSE (granted, this matters not as it is a manual lens anyway)
50/1.4
85/1.2
100/2.8 Macro
135/2.0

Radio trigger flashes in the 600 EX-RT.

How many of those can I replace and how many I need an adaptor?

Caporegime
I have one Yongnuo flash, with it side by side to the 600 EX-RT, the Yongnuo is just unpredictable, something about the capacity inside or something just don't hold enough charge and can't do multiple bursts. Whereas the Canon will just fire and fire and fire. I wasn't even shooting full power.

Sony's flash hot shoe is also different, it has some weird pins in it, I could for example put my Canon flash in the Fuji and it will fire in manual mode. With the Sony that just not an option due to the proprietary hotshoe design.

Caporegime
There must be some, or some kind of triggers as I know people use the A7 series in the studio.

As for flashes, no idea, and no idea if they are built in 1 like the Canon version either. This needs research and something I need to know before jumping in, it is as important as replacing all the glass.

Caporegime
Putting price aside. it is simply the lack of glass, lack of flashes. I need to replace

16-35/2.8
24-70/2.8
20/1.4
24/1.4
35/1.4
45/2.8 TSE (granted, this matters not as it is a manual lens anyway)
50/1.4
85/1.2
100/2.8 Macro
135/2.0

Radio trigger flashes in the 600 EX-RT.

How many of those can I replace and how many I need an adaptor?

You don't want to be using an adapter if you really care abut image quality, auto-focus and reliability. The microl-ens array is designed for lenses projecting relatively close to the image plane and so apply so strong refraction at the edge, and the Sony FE lenses are specially design for the image sensor distance and micro-lens array. A Canon lens designed of a 45mm sensor offset can cause some weird artifacts and reduce definition.

Caporegime
You don't want to be using an adapter if you really care abut image quality, auto-focus and reliability. The microl-ens array is designed for lenses projecting relatively close to the image plane and so apply so strong refraction at the edge, and the Sony FE lenses are specially design for the image sensor distance and micro-lens array. A Canon lens designed of a 45mm sensor offset can cause some weird artifacts and reduce definition.

Exactly, it would be quicker and easier to wait for Canon to make a camera to catch up to Sony than Sony to catch up with Canon's lenses.

It only takes 1 bodies, where as it will take a lot of glass and flashes from Sony.

Caporegime
Canon and Nikon will have FF mirroelss cameras before long. There is no great conspiracy here, they aren't purely trying to withhold mirror-less cameras in the desperate hope people will only buy DSLRs.

Caporegime
Canon and Nikon will have FF mirroelss cameras before long. There is no great conspiracy here, they aren't purely trying to withhold mirror-less cameras in the desperate hope people will only buy DSLRs.

Not sure about Nikon as they just posted a extraordinary loss financial year report, they might have to shelf some projects or not for a while but Canon just brought out the M5 which is an indication they are putting money and R&D into mirrorless. They just need to put it in a EF mount body.

What I know is the body won't be compact like Sony's due to the current DSLR design, the sensor will have to be where it is for the light to hit exactly where it should be. Which I don't mind. If they could bring a global shutter, 20fps, no black out and keep the good ergonomic then bring it on.

Caporegime
Not sure about Nikon as they just posted a extraordinary loss financial year report, they might have to shelf some projects or not for a while but Canon just brought out the M5 which is an indication they are putting money and R&D into mirrorless. They just need to put it in a EF mount body.

What I know is the body won't be compact like Sony's due to the current DSLR design, the sensor will have to be where it is for the light to hit exactly where it should be. Which I don't mind. If they could bring a global shutter, 20fps, no black out and keep the good ergonomic then bring it on.

Nikon's losses will mean even more reason to push new mirror-less bodies. This was an official Nikon interview a couple of months back
https://nikonrumors.com/2017/02/24/...-dslr-and-mirrorless-cameras-and-lenses.aspx/
"bringing in multiple mirrorless cameras at an early stage"

The extra depth is really not an issue. It is 2cm, and that only has to be around the lens mount. Some smart designs i have seen have simply put a control dial around the mount like the Canon s95 compact did. For bigger cameras it is largely irrelevant because the size is mostly dictated by ergonomics.

Soldato
Exactly, it would be quicker and easier to wait for Canon to make a camera to catch up to Sony than Sony to catch up with Canon's lenses.

It only takes 1 bodies, where as it will take a lot of glass and flashes from Sony.

This may not be easy. Canon's mirrorless may be 2 generations behind Sony's, and Nikon's mirrorless may be 4 generations behind Sony's.

A9's sensor is a design of BSI + Stack, and the electronic part is fabricated by TSMC with 16nm fab process, which is merely a tad behind world's best Intel 14nm. Canon was still using 500nm fab process for almost all sensors, and Nikon's Renesas was using 250nm fab process for the D4/D4s sensors. When Sony made the IMX094 sensor for Nikon D800 the fab process was 180nm, and today's 16nm is a quantum leap.

If you compare the LiveView of Canon 1DX-II (38.9Wh battery for 390 shots) vs. Sony A9 (16Wh batter for 650 or 480 shots), the power consumption of the A9 is merely 23% of that of the 1DX-II.

Caporegime
Nikon and Sony are cross licensing sensor technology. A lot of the time when people say nikon is using a Sony sensor they are forgetting that the many of the sensors are using Nikon design and IP, which is why when Nikon have switched sensor providers to Toshiba and Aptina many of the same sensor characteristics stay the same. You have also seen cases where a supposed Sony sensor was released in a nikon camera first with Sony having to wait 6 months before launch as part of a licensing agreement.. And at the end of day nikon can just purchase the sensor the A9 is using.
Do you have a link for the A9 sensor using a 16nm process, would seem to be absurdly expensive. Camera sensors have been manufactured with older and larger node sizes because of costs and the fact that there is really just no benefits. Ultimately a pixel has to be as big as possible and the sensor has to be a fixed size. Transistor densities have never been an issue, merely yields and costs for such big pieces of silicon.

I doubt Canon and Nikon are far behind Sony at all. Both companies have been releasing mirror-less cameras. In fact the Nikon 1 series for a logn time was by far the best camera for continues AF in a a mirrorless, and would still give most of the Sony A series a run for its money today.

One of the most critical parts of a mirrorless is the viewfinder which will liekly be outsourced. Sony's viewfinders are still a long way behind the best there is in the market. The Epson viewfinders used in some Leica models are far superior.

Back
Top Bottom