The Sony A73/A7R3/A7S3/A9 Thread

Caporegime
That's a bargain tbh for the difference it brings in IQ and features.

Lets hope so. I will have less lens but I don’t need as many now and everything will be covered.

So far I have

55mm f1.8 za
85mm f1.8
16-35 f4 G OSS
100-400 f4.5-5.6 GM OSS

Plan to add this week

Batis 18mm f2.8 or 25mm f2.8 for Astro - almost zero coma and ca with these lens apparently and highly regarded for Astro
And either the Tamron 28-70 f2.8 or the 24-105 f4 OSS. Still can’t decide between them. The Tamron is sharper and more bokeh but I have my primes for that but the 24-105 has a much better range for a day to day travel lens and is one of the best 24-105 on any camera system as far as sharpness goes anyway and matches the legendary canon L Lens. It also has OSS and is light and weather proofed. At the moment I am more swayed to the 24-105

Later on when I come across a second hand one, I’ll get the Sony 1.4x tc. No way am I paying £500 for a 1.4tc. That’s more than I paid for my 55mm ZA 1.8 lens which is ridiculous.

Added bonus is I have £330 of cashback to come so far.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Lets hope so. I will have less lens but I don’t need as many now and everything will be covered.

So far I have

55mm f1.8 za
85mm f1.8
16-35 f4 G OSS
100-400 f4.5-5.6 GM OSS

Plan to add this week

Batis 18mm f2.8 or 25mm f2.8 for Astro - almost zero coma and ca with these lens apparently and highly regarded for Astro
And either the Tamron 28-70 f2.8 or the 24-105 f4 OSS. Still can’t decide between them. The Tamron is sharper and more bokeh but I have my primes for that but the 24-105 had a much better range for a day to day travel lens and is one of the best 24-105 on any camera system as far as sharpness goes anyway.

I would personally check out/wait for the Sigma 14mm/1.8 or 20/1.4. Much faster lens (not sure about Croma performance)

2 stop difference is quite big at these extremes.

Caporegime
Damn you......I had 99% made my mind up and now you have me second guessing again.......

I know you have your primes for the bokeh but if you have decided to pack light and use the zooms then you wouldn't have packed the primes so IMO it's better to get something closer to the primes as much as possible.

Plus, you don't need the IS in the 24-105 as you have IBIS.

Soldato
Couldn’t take it anymore and clearly I’m not a real man. I had some plays with it and it’s just so damn heavy and huge. No way is this lens going to get used as it should as I will end up leaving it behind to save weight so it’s packed up and going back.:(

So instead, this arrived this morning........my fist GM lens. Far more manageable And weighs a third of the sigma 150-600. Only thing hurting now is my wallet

The lens is indeed a thing of beauty but I found I had to get the handgrip extension for the body to make it more comfortable to hold.
I’d hoped to get the 1.4 tc before going on holiday but delivery was messed up and I’ll have to wait until I get back. They’re like hens teeth to get hold of but for my purposes 160mm is important.
Enjoy it.

Caporegime
That's a bargain tbh for the difference it brings in IQ and features.

Tbh it’s a massive step up in iq, af and low light but a big step down in features. The Sony May appear feature packed to you coming from a canon DSLR but I have lost the following features

Only 10fps electronic shutter vs 60fps and 8fps mechanical vs 18fps
No pro capture where the oly takes 14 shots before you press the shutter
Far inferior IBIS. Handheld shots of a few seconds is possible with the oly. In no review of any Sony body have I seen anybody even getting up to a second. Oly certainly has the best IBIS by far.
No focus stacking. The oly would take 8 shots and focus stack them in camera or up to 100 shots and you do it in software.
No live view and composite - was great to be on bulb mode and just close when the picture was right. Made fireworks a breeze.
No blackout on viewfinder - I know Sony has this on the a9 but it isn’t on the a7
Hi res mode to take 8 shots to form a 80mb file.- this was to compensate for the loss in iq with such a small sensor and only worked with static subjects and tripod so won’t be missed.

So yeah, overall I am giving up tonnes of features which no doubt if Sony put them all in a body they would want £5k for it so the em1 is a bargain at £1400 but decided iq is more important plus the af was doing my head in on the Olympus. Too many missed focus shots. I figure the Sony A7 iv or v will put me back to the features I had with the Olympus so now was a good time to jump ship while my lenses were worth good money.

If only Olympus had gone for a bigger sensor they would be outperforming Sony by some margin on features.

So far I have sold every lens I own for at least the price I paid for them which is good. Will lose £850 on the body, batteries and grip but that’s life.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I would personally check out/wait for the Sigma 14mm/1.8 or 20/1.4. Much faster lens (not sure about Croma performance)

2 stop difference is quite big at these extremes.

The 2 stops would make a massive difference to Astro work but unless these are completely newly designed lens which I thought they weren’t, then the sigma 24mm f1.4 and 20mm f1.4 on other mounts have terrible coma which ruins them from r use in Astro work. The only decent sigma Astro lens is the 35mm but it’s not really wide enough. Will have to see how they do with the 14mm f1.8

Will wait for the reviews to be out though as not in any hurry yet and probably have spent enough for now once I get my walkabout zoom.

Caporegime
Tbh it’s a massive step up in iq, af and low light but a big step down in features. The Sony May appear feature packed to you coming from a canon DSLR but I have lost the following features

Only 10fps electronic shutter vs 60fps and 8fps mechanical vs 18fps
No pro capture where the oly takes 14 shots before you press the shutter
Far inferior IBIS. Handheld shots of a few seconds is possible with the oly. In no review of any Sony body have I seen anybody even getting up to a second. Oly certainly has the best IBIS by far.
No focus stacking. The oly would take 8 shots and focus stack them in camera or up to 100 shots and you do it in software.
No live view and composite - was great to be on bulb mode and just close when the picture was right. Made fireworks a breeze.
No blackout on viewfinder - I know Sony has this on the a9 but it isn’t on the a7
Hi res mode to take 8 shots to form a 80mb file.- this was to compensate for the loss in iq with such a small sensor and only worked with static subjects and tripod so won’t be missed.

So yeah, overall I am giving up tonnes of features which no doubt if Sony put them all in a body they would want £5k for it so the em1 is a bargain at £1400 but decided iq is more important plus the af was doing my head in on the Olympus. Too many missed focus shots. I figure the Sony A7 iv or v will put me back to the features I had with the Olympus so now was a good time to jump ship while my lenses were worth good money.

So far I have sold every lens I own for at least the price I paid for them which is good. Will lose £850 on the body, batteries and grip but that’s life.

That's a lot of features indeed.

The other side of the coin is I often that it has always been the case that the makes outside Canon and Nikon always have historically offered more features, it has never been enough however to win over the Canon/Nikon users because the end result never seem to stack out enough for them to switch so you wonder how useful these features really are at the end of the day.

Not every shot you take need focus stacking and things like black out isn't something that matters at all in the final image and things like IS can be solved with a monopod. But every shot you take with the Sony you can use that better IQ.

The latest Sony generations is the first one in a long time I feel it is enough to dib my toes into.

Soldato
What flashguns do you recommend for general short range indoor event shooting? I read the Sony ones pretty much all overheat quickly

Caporegime
Is a four grand spend on this system including camera enough to get me a portrait, landscape and wildlife lens? I'm out of my depth here so any help would be appreciated.

Portrait, Landscape and Wild Life?

£4k?

That's £2k in lenses?……

No….you can pick 2 of the 3.

Sony 85/1.8 for portraits, then either get a Sony 16-35/2.8.

or the GM 100-400 £2500.

They are around the same price both options.

Back
Top Bottom