The Sound BlasterX AE-5 Owners' Club

Man of Honour
Make sure you are using headphone output and it is correctly identifying you are using headphone output as a device in the OS.

Soldato
Make sure you are using headphone output and it is correctly identifying you are using headphone output as a device in the OS.

I'm using the headphone socket on the card but the only device that shows in the OS is speakers. This is the same whether I choose direct hp, 7.1 hp or either of the speaker options in the AE-5 drivers. The only others options are s/pdif and hdmi but these are all disabled.

This was the same for my SB Z.

Man of Honour
I'm using the headphone socket on the card but the only device that shows in the OS is speakers. This is the same whether I choose direct hp, 7.1 hp or either of the speaker options in the AE-5 drivers. The only others options are s/pdif and hdmi but these are all disabled.

This was the same for my SB Z.

Actually if you are using the 7.1 HP modes, etc. it will show speakers in Windows playback devices I forgot that - I had a problem with mine when I first installed it (due to previous sound drivers) where it wasn't detecting headphones properly.

Soldato
So it's set correct? I'm using 7.1 HP mode. I've got the eq settings the same as my SB Z and all other settings but this really lack any bass compared to the SB Z. I've even put the bass setting on 50%. This was off on the SB Z as there was more than enough bass without it.....

Not sure what else to try TBH.

Associate
I used to find that sometimes the default format in control panel sounds would sometimes drop to a lower quality, dvd etc, might be worth checking that

Soldato
I'll check that later when I can.

Am I right in thinking that the molex connector is only for the RGB lighting and isn't required for the general use of the card? I don't have this connected as I have no interest in the RGB features.

Man of Honour
Anyone using one of these with some AKG K702 headphones?

Got my AE-5 installed today but I'm struggling at getting a sound that I like out of it. Ive tried similar settings to what I was using with my Sound Blaster Z and tbh so far I'm preferring what I was hearing with the Z despite numerous reports saying the AE-5 is a big step up for headphones.

The Connect software isn't that nice to use either, the software with the SB Z was much easier to use.

Anyone got any suggestions as its sounding prettu thin to me compared to my SB Z?

Definitely switched it over from speakers to headphones? In sound setup too. I forgot that myself when I first tried them :D

I have DT990s and only need it set to around 10% and it is almost too loud.

Soldato
So it's set correct? I'm using 7.1 HP mode. I've got the eq settings the same as my SB Z and all other settings but this really lack any bass compared to the SB Z. I've even put the bass setting on 50%. This was off on the SB Z as there was more than enough bass without it...
Do you have surround enabled if you're listening above 2 channel source?
7.1 HP mode itself likely switches Windows playback configuration to 7.1.

Soldato
I have DT990s and only need it set to around 10% and it is almost too loud.

Isn't there a gain setting on the AE-5? Unless of course, you have it set to lowest; if there is one.

Indeed. I used to have it between 6 - 8% with the AKG K702 when I used to use the card.

Same question; do you have the gain at a lower setting?

Regardless of the gain setting though; it goes to show how much of a difference there is from person to person when it comes to how loud each person likes the volume.

Someone created a thread no so long back. He had K7xx headphones with a Schiit Modi/Magni stack. On high gain and at pretty much max volume; it wasn't quite loud enough for him.

Boggles my mind how someone can listen with what would seem to me like unbearably high volume.

Makes me think of those people that can eat ridiculously hot chillis without breaking a sweat; maybe they and the people that have headphones stupidly loud have become desensitised..

Soldato
That was going to be my next question, which impedance setting are you using? I'm currently using the middle setting, something like 62 - 150ohm. The K702 are 62ohm but I keep hearing that they are hard to drive even though they have a relatively low impedance.

Do you guys use 7.1 HP or Direct HP? If using 7.1 HP what settings do you use for surrender, crystelize and eq etc?

I'll double check all my setting later when I get home.

Thanks for all the input so far.

Associate
I use the gain of whatever the headphones I am using dt990 pro high, akg 702 normal. Some fps games I use direct but if 7.1 I have equaliser off and the engine 50/60/10/off/off but sometimes like a bit more bass and 100% surround

Soldato
Sgavan which do you prefer between the K702 and DT990? Out of the two I went with the K702 but was unable to try the DT990. Now I'm starting to think that maybe I made the wrong choice as the 702 hurt my ears a little and sound better if I don't wear my glasses. I know the DT990 has softer ear cushions so maybe they would fit around my glasses arms a bit better.

Any glasses wearers able to give their input in either of the 2 hps?

Associate
Sgavan which do you prefer between the K702 and DT990? Out of the two I went with the K702 but was unable to try the DT990. Now I'm starting to think that maybe I made the wrong choice as the 702 hurt my ears a little and sound better if I don't wear my glasses. I know the DT990 has softer ear cushions so maybe they would fit around my glasses arms a bit better.

I find myself using the dt990s more that the 702, don't wear glasses but they are very comfortable and seem to make a complete seal. Overall though I would be very happy with either.

Soldato
Why not? It sounded better with the AKG K702.

It's entirely up to you of course, but I just think it's pointless when you have to have the volume at a mere 8% before it's too loud.

The headphones sounding better with when set to higher gain, is because gain boosts the volume. We automatically assume that louder = better sound quality.

If someone were blind tested with what they thought were two different headphones; but they were actually the same model of headphone, just one pair playing the same music but a bit louder than the other pair. You could pretty much guarantee that the majority of people would say that the pair of headphones playing the louder music are the better sounding.

Also; you may not do this, but I've seen people say that they have different programs/apps set at different volumes within the Windows volume mixer. The lower the master volume, makes it harder to set different apps at different volumes, as you only have a small amount of leeway. I've done that in the past, and trying to do that with master volume set so low, is a pain in the butt.

No reason why you shouldn't continue using high gain though, if that's what you prefer to do. Horses for courses and all that. Just trying to explain giving the headphones a higher gain setting, doesn't actually improve the sound, it just makes them louder for any given % of volume. :)

For non glasses wearers; I wouldn't have thought there would be much difference between the two, comfort wise. The biggest discomfort factor for the K702's was removed, when AKG got rid of the 'torture bumps' on the headband. For glasses wearers, it could be the clamp force contributing to discomfort when wearing glasses. I suppose it depends whether the K702's clamp more than the DT990's. Maybe how soft the pads are would also play a part.

Must admit I'm a little surprised you find they sound better when not wearing glasses. That would suggest the headphones need a good seal; wearing glasses would break that seal. This is what happens when people wear glasses when using AKG K550 headphones, as they are closed back and rely a good seal. K702 being open back; it's not often considered that open back headphones need a seal.

Thinking about it more; you could say that there is a seal between the front of the driver, the ear pads and the listener's head; even if there is none between the back of the driver and the ear cups.

Would be interesting to see what other people find who wear glasses, when using full size open back headphones with and without glasses on.

Performance wise; for music, it comes down to preference. For gaming, the K702's perform better.

That was going to be my next question, which impedance setting are you using? I'm currently using the middle setting, something like 62 - 150ohm. The K702 are 62ohm but I keep hearing that they are hard to drive even though they have a relatively low impedance.

They are known as being 'hard to drive' because they are insensitive headphones (93dB/mW), so need more power to output the same dB compared to most headphones at a similar Ohm rating, and even ones with higher impedance.

They are not so much 'hard to drive' at lower volume, it's more when the volume is really turned up loud they require more power than a lot of devices can provide. At a lower volume, a sound card without a headphone amp or decent onboard audio will drive them fine, as long as the user doesn't expect really loud volume.

Just as an example compared to some other popular headphones; Sennheiser HD598 are fairly close in impedance, but the K702 need 4x as much power to reach the same dB.

Comparing the K702 to the DT990; the K702 need twice as much power to reach the same dB as the DT990, but are 1/4 of the impedance.

Quite a few people think that higher impedance means more difficult to drive and therefore means better quality. K702 shows that is not the case, and judging solely on impedance is rather misleading.

Use whichever gain setting suits you. Using a higher gain just means you will need to turn the volume down, unless you like it very loud. As I explained above, setting the gain higher doesn't make the headphones sound better, just louder; and pretty much everyone automatically mistakes speaker or headphones that sound louder as having better sounding quality.

Associate
Question for all you AE5 guys...
I have a set of Sennheiser GSP 600 hooked up to my AE5. I love the sound using the virtual 7.1 setting. I am having issues with mic volume though. I use Discord for chatting with friends in games. I have all the settings checked in the Soundblaster software as in Noise REduction, Echo Cancellation and then Smart Volume on. Then in DC I am also using all of that programs settings such as Echo Cancellation, Noise Suppression and Gain Control. In Windows I have the mic volume turned up to 100%. So now my issue.. if I don't have Mic Boost turned on, I am pretty quiet according to my friends. However, I don't pick up additional noise such as my noisy mechanical keyboard. If I turn the mic boost to just 10%, I sound good again however the mic picks up everything. Its an issue I've just been dealing with forever.. but is there something I am missing? Also I do NOT have the Exclusive Mode checked in windows10 as I read long ago not to use it.
Anyone else have good experience with proper mic settings?

Back
Top Bottom