The Sound BlasterX AE-5 Owners' Club

V F

V F

Soldato
It's entirely up to you of course, but I just think it's pointless when you have to have the volume at a mere 8% before it's too loud.

The headphones sounding better with when set to higher gain, is because gain boosts the volume. We automatically assume that louder = better sound quality.

If someone were blind tested with what they thought were two different headphones; but they were actually the same model of headphone, just one pair playing the same music but a bit louder than the other pair. You could pretty much guarantee that the majority of people would say that the pair of headphones playing the louder music are the better sounding.

Also; you may not do this, but I've seen people say that they have different programs/apps set at different volumes within the Windows volume mixer. The lower the master volume, makes it harder to set different apps at different volumes, as you only have a small amount of leeway. I've done that in the past, and trying to do that with master volume set so low, is a pain in the butt.

No reason why you shouldn't continue using high gain though, if that's what you prefer to do. Horses for courses and all that. Just trying to explain giving the headphones a higher gain setting, doesn't actually improve the sound, it just makes them louder for any given % of volume. :)

For low gain 80 and mid 150 I still had it at 8% but those settings seem to make the AKG K702 sound too coarse.

Even on the Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS I have the Windows volume at 21% and the dial to 9 o'clock for the SMSL sAp Pro II AMP.

Associate
Just installed one of these - should the logo on the card light up without plugging in molex (thought molex was just for RGB strip, but i may be mistaken)?

Soldato
This is potentially a dumb question, so apologies in advance. But was there ever a desktop equivalent of the AE-5 released? I'm toying with the idea of building a tiny ITX system for LAN nights at a buddy's house, but I'd still like good gaming audio when at home.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
This is potentially a dumb question, so apologies in advance. But was there ever a desktop equivalent of the AE-5 released? I'm toying with the idea of building a tiny ITX system for LAN nights at a buddy's house, but I'd still like good gaming audio when at home.

Creatives latest external box the G6
https://uk.creative.com/p/amplifiers/sound-blasterx-g6

I believe its got good amp power for more power hungry headphones also.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
FYI AE5 owners.....

Creative are tweaking their upcoming AE9 soundcard and improving its overall quality, there is no ETA but a creative rep has said its going to be worth the wait.

I reckon its since they did not expect the Nu soundcard to be so good.

Man of Honour

TBH only things I'd really want is swappable opamps and just a little more out of the headphone amplifier - with a little more voltage to play with and the option of balanced outputs it would satisfy everything I could ask.

Associate
FYI AE5 owners.....

Creative are tweaking their upcoming AE9 soundcard and improving its overall quality, there is no ETA but a creative rep has said its going to be worth the wait.

With this high end card, they should have supplied a decent balanced headphone output to really differentiate it...

Soldato
If you have consoles SBX G6 supports also Dolby Digital decoding and can be used fully with them.
You just have to configure settings in PC to set up binaural sound simulation for headphones.

Thanks man. I do actually have a PS4 Pro, and I have neglected the audio with it, truth be told. So improved audio there would be great.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
TBH only things I'd really want is swappable opamps and just a little more out of the headphone amplifier - with a little more voltage to play with and the option of balanced outputs it would satisfy everything I could ask.

With this high end card, they should have supplied a decent balanced headphone output to really differentiate it...

I had no idea what a balanced output was till I just googled it, does it really make a good difference to sound quality in music ?

Just in case anyone wants source for Creative AE9, creative rep does update it rarely
https://www.reddit.com/r/SoundBlasterOfficial/comments/agdc3n/sound_blasterx_ae9_release_date/

Man of Honour
I had no idea what a balanced output was till I just googled it, does it really make a good difference to sound quality in music ?

It isn't huge but it is like the difference between having the AE-5 in non-direct mode versus direct but also seems to give a slightly wider presentation - some headphones benefit more than others - my HD600s have a smoother sound in balanced mode.

Soldato
Thanks man. I do actually have a PS4 Pro, and I have neglected the audio with it, truth be told. So improved audio there would be great.
Then you can get double benefit for the money.
Predecessor G5 lacked Dolby Digital decoding, so G6 is nice upgrade in that.

After having configuring done in PC, SBX G6 is connected to PS4 with USB for power and optical cable for signal.
Then you need to make sure in PS4 settings that digital/optical is chosen as output port and Dolby bitstream as format.
https://denon.custhelp.com/app/answ...-output-bitstream-audio-(dolby-digital-/-dts)

For configuring in PC you just select headphone mode and that "Headphone 7.1" and enable Surround in BlasterX Acoustic Engine.
Not sure if G6 defaults to having SBX/processing enabled when powered, but device has physical button for it.
And it's easy to notice if there's no binaural sound simulation/HRTF applied, if you have good headphones.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
It isn't huge but it is like the difference between having the AE-5 in non-direct mode versus direct but also seems to give a slightly wider presentation - some headphones benefit more than others - my HD600s have a smoother sound in balanced mode.

That does sound impressive, when I went from non direct to direct hp mode I never looked back it was that detailed and clean, so does that mean your headphones detachable cable needs to be balanced cable and your soundcard or amp need balanced outputs?

Soldato
Then you can get double benefit for the money.
Predecessor G5 lacked Dolby Digital decoding, so G6 is nice upgrade in that.

After having configuring done in PC, SBX G6 is connected to PS4 with USB for power and optical cable for signal.
Then you need to make sure in PS4 settings that digital/optical is chosen as output port and Dolby bitstream as format.
https://denon.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5868/~/setting-your-sony-playstation-4-to-output-bitstream-audio-(dolby-digital-/-dts)

For configuring in PC you just select headphone mode and that "Headphone 7.1" and enable Surround in BlasterX Acoustic Engine.
Not sure if G6 defaults to having SBX/processing enabled when powered, but device has physical button for it.
And it's easy to notice if there's no binaural sound simulation/HRTF applied, if you have good headphones.

Awesome - bookmarked for future reference. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom