The Stig (White)

Permabanned
Ok, so the black Stig, (series 1 and 2) was Perry McCarthy.

But who is the white Stig?

He seems to have a very similar driving style to Tiff Nedel.

Who do you reckon it is?

Mic

Mic

Soldato
iCraig said:

Who do you reckon it is?
That young BTCC chap in the Aygo football I thought. But its more likely a massive mix of differnet people.

Soldato
The Mail claimed it way Julian Bailey and have also said Ben Collins, but McCarthy said that there was no set stig, and they alternate between a few drivers.

Soldato
IMO the Stig is just whoever they can get ahold of. Sometimes when they test very very exotic cars around their track they actually let the owner or test driver dress up as the Stig and drive it - because they couldn't possibly insure it otherwise. IIRC the MC12 and Renault F1 car were two such instances.

Also in the Winter Special show they showed the Stig doing a massive olympic ski jump which clearly isn't something that'd be in the skills book of a race driver.

In short, the "Stig" is just a character. It's role can be played by almost anyone.

Soldato
NathanE said:
they actually let the owner or test driver dress up as the Stig and drive it - because they couldn't possibly insure it otherwise.

Why on earth not? :confused:

Car magazines manage to insure all sorts of cars up to and including Enzos, Veyrons, etc so I can't see why this would be a stumbling block for Top Gear.

Soldato
NathanE said:
IIRC the MC12 and Renault F1 car were two such instances.
I thought about that at the time of the Renault lap. I know to even get close to an F1 car, whether racing it or just taking a blast, you have to have x amount of licenses and be very well known to the team themselves. They're not going to give a few million quid's worth of last years carbon to someone they aren't 100% sure about.

It was most likely Heikki Kovalainen driving it that day.

edit:
should have really read Wiki first :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Trojan said:
Why on earth not? :confused:

Car magazines manage to insure all sorts of cars up to and including Enzos, Veyrons, etc so I can't see why this would be a stumbling block for Top Gear.
Don't ask me. Just that the Reno F1 test driver has publically admitted to being the one who drove it round their track. Not sure about the MC12 but I believe it is equally in the public domain.

BTW: Car magazines get insurance for a test drive, not a mini track day... There's a big difference when exotics are involved I would guess.

They glossed it over when he crashed the Koensigsegg, made out everything was hunky dory ;) "Yep yep, we told them it needed a rear spoiler and yep they're going to take this one back, put one on, and yep yep yep send it back to us!"

Soldato
NathanE said:
BTW: Car magazines get insurance for a test drive, not a mini track day... There's a big difference when exotics are involved I would guess.

I know for a fact Evo mag take various exotics around a track, and I believe most performance magazines do at least once a year when they have their Car of the year / Trackday car of the year features.

Soldato
iCraig said:

Who do you reckon it is?

It's so not Tiff... For a start Tiff can't drive and not blather on endlessly, occasionally letting out a squeal. Half the time I think that he's just VBH in a man suit!

Soldato
Trojan said:
I know for a fact Evo mag take various exotics around a track, and I believe most performance magazines do at least once a year when they have their Car of the year / Trackday car of the year features.
Fair enough but that isn't really the main point we are discussing here :)

Associate
its different people. An old producer of top gear taught at my college last year and said its just whioever they can get, hence calling them the stig.

Back
Top Bottom