The Stig (White)

Permabanned
OP
aztechnology said:
I Just think he never appears to shut up and concentrate when driving fast...

But surely that makes him a good driver, seeing as he can drive around a circuit and still talk to the audience.

His job isn't to just drive the cars, its to review them. Wouldn't be very good if you just watched him inside the car driving silently.

Soldato
Watched an episode of older top gear today, it was the one with Hamster doing 24hr 2cv racing..

On the side of the car it had written (barely visible but sky+ freeze frame nailed it)

Stig
Vicar
Rasta
Hamster

They introduced the drivers as Hammond, fastest vicar, fastest rasta, and professional racing driver..

This is the picture of the professional racing driver aka "The Stig"

DSC00248.jpg

Dunno if its been posted before, but thought it worthwhile posting

:D

Permabanned
weeble said:
A racing line's a racing line - there's only one. If you're a highly trained ex/current racing driver, it's only a matter of tenths of seconds difference. Granted car manufactured test drivers will have a degree of familiarity with the car, but they may not to be race trained.

Mansell and Hill both took the same 'different' line on one of the first corners on the TG track ('different' as in different to the line taught to celebs by Stig when doing their laps )

Man of Honour
Could be Martin Stretton (??) who races a lot in historic motorsport and is, I am told, one of the many Stigs. The reason they use the "Stig" idea is simply so they can use various drivers when which prevents hold ups in filming should said star driver be racing and makes the public think there is a level playing field on these tests, which there is not.

Man of Honour
can't someone work out his height from film footage, then compare that as well as body size/proportions to likely drivers...

If anyone is sad enough to do it.

Soldato
Someone on 205Gtidrivers.com recently sold a trailer to Top Gear. He asked who The Stig was when someone came to pick up the trailer and the reply he got was that it's Ben Collins (who I noticed was on Best Of Top Gear a few weeks ago). I'll try and find a link to the post.

Linky . Have to be registered to view though.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Sanchez said:
Someone on 205Gtidrivers.com recently sold a trailer to Top Gear. He asked who The Stig was when someone came to pick up the trailer and the reply he got was that it's Ben Collins (who I noticed was on Best Of Top Gear a few weeks ago). I'll try and find a link to the post.

Linky . Have to be registered to view though.

the guy seems to have it correct.

http://www.embassyracing.com/TheTeam/Ben.htm

that guy looks very similar to the guy in the freezeframe from UK Gold. He's got the same receeding hair line and face structure.

Associate
When i went to see Jimmy Carr a few months ago somebody shouted out and asked who he was, he said he coudnt us due to signing something but he said it is an ex-rally driver.

Man of Honour
its gotta be great fun playing with the public so much - they can pretty much say anyone, or any disapline "the stig" does or used to drive in and get a huge rumor started :D

end of the day i don't really care - its the stig, hes a god like driving icon that need-not be identified for my viewing pleasure, just drive like the wind and occasionally crash very very expensive cars!

Back
Top Bottom