The Stig (White)

Caporegime
Phoenix211 said:
its different people. An old producer of top gear taught at my college last year and said its just whioever they can get, hence calling them the stig.

Doubt it, its the same guy throught the season otherwise he would be shorter and fatter depending on the episode!

Soldato
And also surely the whole point of having a Stig is to remain consistent. You can't put Schumacher in one day then Ide the next, as its blatently obvious that the comparison in times would be far from fair!

Mic

Mic

Soldato
Type_R said:
And also surely the whole point of having a Stig is to remain consistent. You can't put Schumacher in one day then Ide the next, as its blatently obvious that the comparison in times would be far from fair!
The show isnt exactly consistent though, its just a laugh really.

Associate
Type_R said:

A racing line's a racing line - there's only one. If you're a highly trained ex/current racing driver, it's only a matter of tenths of seconds difference. Granted car manufactured test drivers will have a degree of familiarity with the car, but they may not to be race trained.

Mic

Mic

Soldato
weeble said:
A racing line's a racing line - there's only one. If you're a highly trained ex/current racing driver, it's only a matter of tenths of seconds difference. Granted car manufactured test drivers will have a degree of familiarity with the car, but they may not to be race trained.
But in formula one even, some drivers are a couple of SECONDS off the pace all season. Didnt one driver get chucked out cause he was 4 seconds off everyones pace? And hes a real pro to get to F1

Soldato
Mic said:

If you can bring a lot of money through sponsorship to a team then they'll whack you in a car even if you are only half decent. There's been a couple of decent drivers in recent times that have missed out on drives purely because they lacked sponsorship.

Associate
Mic said:
But in formula one even, some drivers are a couple of SECONDS off the pace all season. Didnt one driver get chucked out cause he was 4 seconds off everyones pace? And hes a real pro to get to F1

F1's a poor comparison - there are rookies that bought their way in, and the pros. Then factor in the different manufacturers.

A better comparison would be A1GP, where the cars are the same. But I get your point.

However, Top Gear typically use racing driver's, but the drivers have their own racing career's to follow (granted the previous stig was on sabatical) and therefore aren't always available, if on the international circuits as most drivers are.

Associate
Firestar_3x said:
Every F1 driver who has done the track has taken a diff line to the stig and been quicker, so no not just one line through the corners!

There is only one racing line, and that is the fastest, most direct line. If you take any racing formula, they all take the same line because it's the most efficient.

The F1 driver's have been taking different line's, perhaps taking the mick out of the stig's driving ability, perhaps because he doesn't take the optimal line.

Soldato
i dont think anyone knows who white stig is. this debate has come up before with people saying "ah i know xxx and he told me xxx" the point is, no-one knows, its all speculation.

Soldato
weeble said:
There is only one racing line, and that is the fastest, most direct line. If you take any racing formula, they all take the same line because it's the most efficient.
Not toaly true. Watch BTCC, Matt Neal uses completely different lines to the other drivers.

And you can see the different lines drivers use in F1 as well, Tosa at the Imola GP a few weeks back is a prime example.

Soldato
Oakesy2001uk said:
I agree, I think you'll find he's pretty quick!

I don't doubt he's quick.. all that Sports car racing must mean something. I Just think he never appears to shut up and concentrate when driving fast...

Personally I don't think that Tiff is The Stig. I don't think they drive similar, but mostly I think there is no way that Tiff would be Part of Top Gear whilst still presenting 5th Gear.

M0T

M0T

Soldato
aztechnology said:
I don't doubt he's quick.. all that Sports car racing must mean something. I Just think he never appears to shut up and concentrate when driving fast...

Personally I don't think that Tiff is The Stig. I don't think they drive similar, but mostly I think there is no way that Tiff would be Part of Top Gear whilst still presenting 5th Gear.

Tiff was on top gear a while back when they did the special with all the celebrities, the one where they had the 2 cars stacked and the top driver had steering and the bottom had the pedals. He was the mystery driver.

Soldato
weeble said:

The F1 driver's have been taking different line's, perhaps taking the mick out of the stig's driving ability, perhaps because he doesn't take the optimal line.

Err, that's just not true.. Unless you are saying, for a particular set of circumstances.

The racing line all depends on what you are driving, what kind of corner it is, where the grip is best, where the bumps are worst, etc.

A while back, when I used to follow the Bike GP's they introduced a few 3 cylnder bikes and allowed them to be lighter than the 4's. They took entirely different lines around the corners as they could hold a higher corner speed and tried to take a classic smooth line. The 4's tried to square corners off as much as they could to spend as little time with the bike leant over and off power.

Soldato
When me and a few friends went to a filming of TG Clarkson asked the audience if they knew who the Stig was. I shouted Damon Hill and he said "no comment". So we cornered him later and asked what no comment means. All he said about DH was "hes done a couple", but he wouldnt tell us who the usual driver was (obviously :p).

Back
Top Bottom