• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The thread which sometimes talks about RDNA2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Some more interesting stuff on Infinity Cache from AMD's press release:

Seems like the effective bandwidth is the sum total of infinity cache and GDDR6 bandwidth as if they are operating in parallel. The cache hit is expected to stabilise at 58% in infinite time.

"AMD Infinity Cache technology that offers up to 2.4X greater bandwidth-per-watt compared to GDDR6-only AMD RDNA™. Measurement calculated by AMD engineering, on a Radeon RX 6000 series card with 128 MB AMD Infinity Cache and 256-bit GDDR6. Measuring 4k gaming average AMD Infinity Cache hit rates of 58% across top gaming titles, multiplied by theoretical peak bandwidth from the 16 64B AMD Infinity Fabric channels connecting the Cache to the Graphics Engine at boost frequency of up to 1.94 GHz. RX-547"

https://www.amd.com/en/press-releas...-pc-gaming-amd-radeon-rx-6000-series-bringing

Some more info on infinity cache:
"AMD is using standard 6T SRAM, Navi 21’s Infinity Cache would be at least 6 billion transistors "

So it's broadly a GA104 die without infinity cache. Will Ampere catch up eventually like fine wine?

https://www.anandtech.com/show/1620...-starts-at-the-highend-coming-november-18th/2

Caporegime
I cant see any retailer sticking to recommended prices if demand is high, look at the 3090 and 3080 range, all over RRP. I just hope AMD have plenty of stock for demand so the prices are at least close to RRP.
its a shame AMD cant enforce the RRP buy saying we will only supply stock if sold at this to stop scalping.

one thing is for sure we dont want 2 to 3 month pre order waiting lists
My local retailers seemed to sell an initial batch or two for rrp and then the next ones were marked up, so I think as long as I manage to get in there early I 'may' be ok.

The real question for me is if AIB coolers will be significantly better than the default AMD ones.

Associate
My local retailers seemed to sell an initial batch or two for rrp and then the next ones were marked up, so I think as long as I manage to get in there early I 'may' be ok.

The real question for me is if AIB coolers will be significantly better than the default AMD ones.

Well at least your local retailers seem to be fair, looking at the pre orders for the 3000 series and how already an extra £50 been stuck on the 5950x cpu i see a lot more scalping and price inflation in both sectors over the next few months.
as for AIB coolers its something i dont really care about as i water cool, but again no point having a card if no water blocks are available. I think it will be in everyone's interest to look for reviews prior to purchase.

Soldato
I think it's always going to be more sensible to wait, just depends on how long you're willing to wait. Seems retailers are squeezing people on the OC variants as a priority.

Yeah I think so. I'll hold off to see what happens with AIB cards. I'm in no rush so I can easily wait.

Soldato
I will still wait for some decent, third party benchmarks that compare the two lineups.

When have actual review benchmarks ever come in that are wildly different to what's put up in reveal slides? Sure, a few fps + or -, but they're never really out by so much as to put people off from buying them or make them look like outright liars, It's simply not in AMD's interests to make wildly boastful performance figures, when they can be disproved in an instant.

Where they know they're not going to be able match Nvidia Ampere, in Ray tracing, they simply don't say anything and just leave it to the reviewers to drop the bad news :p

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Toying with waiting for an AIO if there’s likely to be one.

A nice quiet 6900XT or 3090 is all I’m asking for. A lot, I know. :D

Soldato
Imagine being one of the 'queue' and your 3090 turns up in these past few days. I'd probably just bite the bullet and get on and use it. But you'd wonder about returning it for the price difference if AMD can supply the demand that is.

Well saying that there were 10+ Zotac 3090's £1699 on OCUK website and they have all gone so someone is happy to buy them.

Associate
When have actual review benchmarks ever come in that are wildly different to what's put up in reveal slides? Sure, a few fps + or -, but they're never really out by so much as to put people off from buying them or make them look like outright liars, It's simply not in AMD's interests to make wildly boastful performance figures, when they can be disproved in an instant.

Where they know they're not going to be able match Nvidia Ampere, in Ray tracing, they simply don't say anything and just leave it to the reviewers to drop the bad news :p

True, although I think RDNA2 roughly matching Turing in RT would be somewhat of a win in my eyes, as that's more than fast enough for this entire gen looking at the next gen consoles RT performance. What's more important in the reviews imo is AMD's DLSS competitor and news of it coming if not at launch then asap.

Soldato
True, although I think RDNA2 roughly matching Turing in RT would be somewhat of a win in my eyes, as that's more than fast enough for this entire gen looking at the next gen consoles RT performance. What's more important in the reviews imo is AMD's DLSS competitor and news of it coming if not at launch then asap.
I think when it's said they will "match" Turing it means the hit to the performance will be relative to that of Turing when Ray tracing is on vs off. I'll go out on a limb and say overall the Ray tracing performance will blow Turing out the water considering the 6800s are much stronger in general then any Turing card.

Associate
I think when it's said they will "match" Turing it means the hit to the performance will be relative to that of Turing when Ray tracing is on vs off. I'll go out on a limb and say overall the Ray tracing performance will blow Turing out the water considering the 6800s are much stronger in general then any Turing card.

Well lets hope so, that would be fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom