• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The thread which sometimes talks about RDNA2

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I agree I personally think we are still a few years off this. Game development cycles are literally years and RT is still so young, I truly believe next gen cards are where RT will be meaningful.
Also the way consoles use checkboard vs any type of DLSS will make a major impact on development, AMD have a card to match Nvidia this time but AMD's software stack is a way behind and I think this is what we need to see develop before a definitive answer is found.

I just want to be able to drive my Valve index at smooth looking gfx and 90-144hz, I think either the 3080 or 6800xt are gonna struggle still.
IMO RT won't become common until the performance cost is reduced. Right now 90% of people will probably just disable it and dial up other effects instead, without having their FPS halved.

Put it this way CEX is buying FEs for 701 quid. But if the 6800xt is better someone wants the FE so essentially I won't loose out any money all been well.

I always turn ray tracing on but it hardly is noticeable in fairness apartment from looking at oneself in a mirror

Put it this way CEX is buying FEs for 701 quid. But if the 6800xt is better someone wants the FE so essentially I won't loose out any money all been well.

I always turn ray tracing on but it hardly is noticeable in fairness apartment from looking at oneself in a mirror
You can get up to £1050 for them on Fleabay according to the recent sold listings.

IMO RT won't become common until the performance cost is reduced. Right now 90% of people will probably just disable it and dial up other effects instead, without having their FPS halved.
+1 100%

Morning btw!

Nvidia people really try to dump on AMD and it's so counter productive, Nvidia have an edge in RT this gen and a better software stack no one can or should say otherwise what ever their favorite colour is.

I see a couple of problems though:
1. RT I don't see being mainstream for the majority of situations/game for a good 3-4 years. (If the Ampere range can only just now do it well enough Devs will only now look to adopt it, Developing games takes years!).
2.My 6800XT RT is 100% faster than the 3080 people can't buy :D:D.

It's an awesome time to be a tech geek right now, but I honestly think the game changers are next generation of cards, by that point the only improvements are going to be RT and FPS @4K, 2 years time all the arguments made today matter, but today?

14:00: 6800XT reviews are released and it best the 3080.
14:05: Willhub frantically rips out his 3080FE and runs down to CEX before the prices change. :p:D

This is 1st Gen Ray Tracing for AMD... and NVIDIA 2º gen. NVIDIA work on Ray Tracing for Years.. but they didn't invent it.

I'm amazed why people think AMD have to win against NVIDIA on the first attempt on Ray Tracing further more they were so behind performance wise and had so many other desavantages... you can solve all in one go.

This are 256 bit bus cards... vs 320 and 384..

What they are doing is already too good.

I wonder how long it will be before AMD release their version of dlss?

At least at the moment you can enable ray tracing on nvidia cards and claw back the fps by enabling dlss.

AMD really need to get their equivalent out ASAP so the hit to performance isn't so harsh

At least at the moment you can enable ray tracing on nvidia cards and claw back the fps by enabling dlss.

AMD really need to get their equivalent out ASAP so the hit to performance isn't so harsh

Best person to ask is @Grim5 as he is obsessed with pointing out the weaknesses of AMD features. It may not be accurate, but he spends a heck of a lot of time researching instead of being on his new 3090/consoles.. ;)

I doubt it'll be very long if it helps consoles provide extra performance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom