• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The thread which sometimes talks about RDNA2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
When a 5700XT uses 10 Watt more than a 2070 Super its all "look at how efficient Nvidia are and how bad AMD are" i'm not pointing my finger at you, but this is what happens so don't be surprised when AMD users throw that back in Nvidia users face.

Really? I must have missed that. Sounds a bit daft tbh. I know when there was almost a 100w difference people used to harp on about it, but 10w? lol

They ain't now tho. So do we give AMD credit now?

No because the 3070 is more efficient than the 6800 :p

Soldato
So now that it is clear the 6800XT sits below the 3080 at 4K it leaves some of us with a mild dilemma.

6800XT is OK and does sort of compete with 3080 in some scenarios and that is right where I expected it for rasterised performance. Though the sub-par ray tracing performance being below 2080Ti makes it a poor choice for future proofing. I was hoping it would at least give better RT than 2080Ti. On the other hand the 3080 with only 10GB is going to be a potential problem for 4K.

Hard to decide what to do to be fair but I would rather take a punt on the 3080 given it seems to be a better all round GPU according to most reviews.

Just wait for the inevitable Ti next year. It will be much better all round with more ram.

Associate
Yes it is supposed to be more realistic however, Ive not seen any talent to reflect that in the rtx titles thus far. And, from my observations it seems that nvidia just wants to show Ray tracing to the extent that it looks silly reflecting mirror like images on puddles, tvs, etc.

Nvidia is simply using Ray tracing as they did with tessellation to overdo it to encourage a performance penalty that they can afford to incur to hamper Radeon, once again. Old dog old tricks. IMO.

As you see more console gaming developers use Ray tracing it would be more subtle and less intrusive. However the downside is that it will have very little Improvement on image quality. It does have the potential to impact development resources. However only developer resources.

In particular on console developers will not use Ray tracing in such a way in which it would bring a negative experience for the games they want to sell.
With reviewers like digital Foundry putting everything under a microscope. Most developers would want to avoid any level of scrutiny to their games that they want to sell.

So it is my assertion, guess, that Ray tracing will be used only in to help decrease development time in areas that need it most. However with a minimal impact visually in the games you play.

And that is how I see the legacy of Ray tracing in games. Just enough to help with development time. But nothing substantial to showing a tangible difference in IQ in the game. Except those times Nvidia gets involved only to promote RTX. Because they need Ray tracing to sell their gpus.

You

There are 19 UNRELEASED games in that list? Are you sure about that?

I am not play games with a wing nut. Approx. 10 are released. If you cant tell the truth bother someone else.

Soldato
So now that it is clear the 6800XT sits below the 3080 at 4K it leaves some of us with a mild dilemma.

6800XT is OK and does sort of compete with 3080 in some scenarios and that is right where I expected it for rasterised performance. Though the sub-par ray tracing performance being below 2080Ti makes it a poor choice for future proofing. I was hoping it would at least give better RT than 2080Ti. On the other hand the 3080 with only 10GB is going to be a potential problem for 4K.

Hard to decide what to do to be fair but I would rather take a punt on the 3080 giving it is a better all round GPU.
I wont be losing any sleep tonight after getting a 3080 at launch for £650 especially so given the 6800XT is now listed higher than that at OCUK, would probably be a miffed if I had paid £880 for a 3080 rog strix though.

Caporegime

Hard to decide what to do to be fair but I would rather take a punt on the 3080 giving it is a better all round GPU.

I would dispute RT performance is worse that the 2080TI, you would have to base that on 2 games and ignore the other 8, its disingenuous to say that.

If you're on 4K yes the 3080 is the better card, 1440P the 6800XT is the better card and yes the 10GB VRam on the 3080 is a real problem, that's right on the limit for 4K and even 1440P in some instances, so yes it has a bit more muscle to drive 4K but it doesn't have the VRam to make it a reliable 4K card. Because Nvidia are cheap, its good enough, just, on the day, but that's it. there is no longevity in it.

Caporegime
I would dispute RT performance is worse that the 2080TI, you would have to base that on 2 games and ignore the other 8, its disingenuous to say that.

If you're on 4K yes the 3080 is the better card, 1440P the 6800XT is the better card and yes the 10GB VRam on the 3080 is a real problem, that's right on the limit for 4K and even 1440P in some instances, so yes it has a bit more muscle to drive 4K but it doesn't have the VRam to make it a reliable 4K card. Because Nvidia are cheap, its good enough, just, on the day, but that's it. there is no longevity in it.
Also worth remembering, the 6800 XT was 5% on average slower than the 3080 at 4K over 18 games tested on harware unboxed. How will that 5% advantage fair in 6-12months time given driver optimisations? I bet it's down to 0% before long. (going off past history)

Associate

10GB is not a problem on the 3080 there is a whole thread for that wing nut argument. Not one game max's out 10GB. Not even Godfall.

Caporegime
Also worth remembering, the 6800 XT was 5% on average slower than the 3080 at 4K over 18 games tested on harware unboxed. How will that 5% advantage fair in 6-12months time given driver optimisations? I bet it's down to 0% before long. (going off past history)

5% of course is a huge gap when cognitive dissidence drives your decisions, RDNA2 will mature, and rapidly this time, before AMD tune the drivers, its already blowing Nvidia into the weeds on any game that isn't getting a bit long in the tooth, but its 10GB VRam will kill it in 4K long before they mature.

Seriously i can't even entertain the idea of a £700 10GB card for 1440P never mind 4K, i mean really?

Soldato
For me lack of Ray Tracing performance and DLSS is more of a worry going forward than a 10GB VRAM limit. Especially up to the next 24months. RT will become massively popular, starting with Cyberpunk next month, only a couple of games will need more than 10GB in the foreseeable and this will be cured by dropping a level on one setting, turning off RT in some title's will loose way more visual quality.

Caporegime
5% of course is a huge gap when cognitive dissidence drives your decisions, RDNA2 will mature, and rapidly this time, before AMD tune the drivers, its already blowing Nvidia into the weeds on any game that isn't getting a bit long in the tooth, but its 10GB VRam will kill it in 4K long before they mature.

Seriously i can't even entertain the idea of a £700 10GB card for 1440P never mind 4K, i mean really?
Well, we've both experienced the limitations of 8GB on GPUs. You with a 2070 Super 8GB and myself with a 5700 XT with 8GB. Yet neither of us could exceed that vram allocation. Almost like that's not the only metric that should be used to measure sufficient vram. ;) :p

Caporegime
For me lack of Ray Tracing performance and DLSS is more of a worry going forward than a 10GB VRAM limit. Especially up to the next 24months. RT will become massively popular, starting with Cyberpunk next month, only a couple of games will need more than 10GB in the foreseeable and this will be cured by dropping a level on one setting, turning off RT in some title's will loose way more visual quality.

I'm not worried about the RT performance, what we have right now are almost all Nvidia sponsored titles, the one that isn't RDNA2 blows Nvidia into the weeds in RT performance, its going to be another situation where the performance of enhancement tech like this and DLSS will depend on who sponsored the game. As for DLSS AMD are working on their own.

No, the 10GB is the real problem for me, i wouldn't even buy an 8GB 3060TI for that reason, the 8GB i have on the 2070 Super is already a problem for me in more than one instance.

Soldato
They ain't now tho. So do we give AMD credit now?
I think we have to give AMD credit for what they have achieved but remember this isn't no AMD vs Intel situation and the cards perform about even with AMD winning in some titles and nvidia winning in others, you also have to remember that AMDs feature set is weaker than nvidia and prices are not much difference.

Had AMD come in a $499 for the 6800 and $599 for the 6800XT then it would have definetly shook things up more but as it stands they offer similar performance to nvidia for similar prices.

Soldato
So now that it is clear the 6800XT sits marginally below the 3080 at 4K it leaves some of us with a mild dilemma.

Hard to decide what to do to be fair but I would rather take a punt on the 3080 given it seems to be a better all round GPU according to most reviews.

depends on the game, it's 20% slower than the 3080 is some

Soldato
You

I am not play games with a wing nut. Approx. 10 are released. If you cant tell the truth bother someone else.
These are the unreleased games on that list as far as i could tell.
Cyberpunk 2077
Vampire
Synced Off Planet
Dying Light 2
Atomic Heart

You tried to move the goal posts and now you're getting pissy because i called you out on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom