• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The thread which sometimes talks about RDNA2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Its brilliant that AMD have managed to match Nvidia performance at the same release time.for this gen.

Its a shame they couldn't have made the prices of the 6800 series slightly better to really **** on Nvidia. Although 16gb of vram is a welcome advantage over the 3080.

I dont get the price difference between the 6800 or 6800xt though. Seems far too small.

Lastly, this bodes well for the 52cu xbox series x gpu. I mean that's going to translate to close to or around 2080ti performance judging by these numbers.

Associate
Once the review sites online and on youtube get hold of the cards and test them in real world situation that will be the true testing ground.

when using the new cards with last gen AMD CPUS or Intel CPUS, performance might not look so hot, tons of speculation to be had out of todays AMD presentation for sure...but as always, time will tell.

PLUS do the cards need PCIE 4.0 motherboards to get the best out of the cards?

Are the AMD figures totally skewed towards having the latest AMD tech !!!.

No to PCIEx4, loads of info out there gen3 doesn't hamper current stuff at all and the new link between the 5000CPU and the 6000 Cards means direct load off the PCIe BAR.
The 6800 was without the boosting tech only the 6900 had it enabled and this was mosting to pee into Jensens open mouth.

Associate
I've canned my Tuf Non-OC 3080 order (low 130's in the queue) - 50/50 between being impressed enough with AMDs specs for that to be interesting and having had enough of playing Nvidias game of trying to spend money with them... I'm out. Will see what 3rd party reviews of AMD's cards come out with and what Nvidias response is, at this stage I'm leaning toward AMD though as Nvidia have shown they're just playing the market as they did with the last gen of over-priced and under-delivering cards.

Caporegime
Very interesting... so basically since the first rumors came out the reality is that the 6800XT has taken the place of the 6900XT and what I thought was the 6900XT in the AMD Zen3 presentation was in fact the 6800XT. Same tier as I thought, different name. For $649 that is VERY impressive and that is likely what I am going to get my hands on. :D

What I didn't expect and was really wrong about (happily so!) was that a 3090-tier card would not only exist, but actually turn into a genuine 3090 competitor... I simply didn't think they could do it. However, to then do it with the same size card as a 6800XT is just staggeringly awesome and makes the 3090 look like the ridiculous hulking monstrosity that it is. Even though I didn't think they had one in the bag, I figured if they released a 3090 competitor they would likely undercut it in price... but again... by over 50% at $1000? Holy **** AMD... you knocked it out of the park! :eek:

I feel sorry for anyone who bought a 10GB 3080 for gouging prices, because AMD now have a card that equals it with 60% more VRAM. Or I especially feel for anyone who bought a 3080 Mug Edition, also known as the 3090. To be equalled by a card that costs 60%+ less in a much smaller size with less power draw just confirms that the 3090 was just an absolute joke of a card. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, and all of these cards that equal or exceed performance use good old GDDR6... meaning that AMD have really shown their engineering skills and that Nvidia really made a mistake using GDDR6x which drove their costs up while delivering no real benefit over GDDR6.

Sure, RT performance is likely similar to Turing, but i can live with that for this gen. If they can get their own version of DLSS out there that would also be great and I expet they will, though it likely won't be as good.

Big Navi, in combination with Zen3, is one of the most exciting launches I can remember. In combination with a 5900x, a 6800XT is going to be a killer card and it will be interesting to see if the prices stay at MSRP level at the launch. I can't wait. :)

Last edited:
Associate
NVIDIA high end GPUs like the 3080 will have worst textures than the digital PS5 which is like half its price in 2 years time lol.

Pure fantasy lol. The 16GB memory on the ps5 is shared between system and graphics, and thats before you even consider the difference in gpu power

Soldato
AMD are offering you a gaming eco system with Ryzen, RDNA2 and obvious compatibabilty with the consoles.

With NV you get a GPU - if you can find one...

Problem now is that Intel and Nvidia might see the need for their own proprietary advantages.

Will AMD allow Intel to have Direct Memory Access?

Soldato
The 6900 XT looks good price against the 3090 but what wouldn't. When you compare the 3090 to 3080 or the 6900 XT to 6800 XT then the 6900 XT also looks a bit over priced, should have been more like £800 for both top tier cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom