The "Top Gear", Season 24/25/26 thread

Soldato
I doubt as many would have cared if the interior was at least full Toyota, it's crazy that the interior is full on bmw.

The exterior is clearly designed by toyota but then they just gave up on the interior and slapped all the bmw stuff in? What the hell?

If all the bmw stuff was hidden underneath and just worked then I feel it would have been more forgiven. It's the first thing all the press mention when they climb in and they seem to find it jarring.

Presumably because Toyota knows that the interior is generally considered the weak point of most Japanese cars, especially in this market segment.
The interior was he first thing mentioned by reviewers when they climbed into the GT86 too - how it's all a bit cheap and tacky compared to other cars in the segment. Now, they have a beautiful interior, but "'it's not Japanese enough!". Toyota can't really win, can they?

Like the GT86, does it really matter if the car is a joy to drive? I'm not generally bothered about "quality" interiors, and it doesn't bother me that mine is considered "crap". But I'd still prefer a BMW interior given the choice, and I don't think I would enjoy the car any less if had one.

Caporegime
Presumably because Toyota knows that the interior is generally considered the weak point of most Japanese cars, especially in this market segment.
The interior was he first thing mentioned by reviewers when they climbed into the GT86 too - how it's all a bit cheap and tacky compared to other cars in the segment. Now, they have a beautiful interior, but "'it's not Japanese enough!". Toyota can't really win, can they?

Like the GT86, does it really matter if the car is a joy to drive? I'm not generally bothered about "quality" interiors, and it doesn't bother me that mine is considered "crap". But I'd still prefer a BMW interior given the choice, and I don't think I would enjoy the car any less if had one.

The MK4 Supra's interior was a revelation and nothing like anything else on the market. You get into the new supra and you might as well be in a 3 series BMW. I know if I was getting into Toyota's Halo car I would want it to feel special. Nissan had no problem doing it.

Soldato
The MK4 Supra's interior was a revelation and nothing like anything else on the market. You get into the new supra and you might as well be in a 3 series BMW.

Genuine question...in what way was it a "revelation"? I have had the pleasure of sitting in a Supra once, and when I got in, nothing particularly amazing struck me about the interior. I remember it was shaped around the driver to give that 'cockpit' feeling, but aside from that, it just seemed like the interior of any 90s Japanese car - cheap, but functional, and not really the key focus of the car. Which was fine. There was nothing about it which made me think "wow, this is a special car!". Not until I experienced the performance.

Now as I said, I fully admit I'm not an "interior" kind or person anyway, I can generally take them or leave them, so I'm unlikely to ever be particularly impressed by one. And I wasn't even driving when the Mk4 came out. But I don't understand how the interior was considered so revolutionary and integral to the Supra that it should now be considered a bad thing when the new car comes instead with a interior which is objectively "better", just because it's made by Germans and not Japanese.

I know if I was getting into Toyota's Halo car I would want it to feel special. Nissan had no problem doing it.

Are you talking about the GTR? Because again, I don't think I've ever heard anyone mention special about the inside of the GTR....in fact, the only time I've ever heard anyone talk about the interior of one is when it's been mentioning how typically Japanese it is...ie crap materials and bland switchgear! What is so special about it?

I'm not being deliberately obtuse here. I get that it might be a bit of a disappointment that such a cult classic is no longer designed and built entirely in house, but it just doesn't strike me as the massive issue people are making it out to be. As mentioned before, better this than no new 6-cylinder, rear wheel drive, good looking coupé at all, surely?

Soldato
The MK4 Supra's interior was a revelation and nothing like anything else on the market. You get into the new supra and you might as well be in a 3 series BMW. I know if I was getting into Toyota's Halo car I would want it to feel special. Nissan had no problem doing it.

there is nothing special about GTR interior? which is what I presume you're talking about this.

all this crying seems to be a bit uncalled for.. seems that pleasing people in this day and age is impossible.

I can image if toyota went full out with this it would've been what LFA Was for lexus. 500k car that no "normal" person can acquire.. whereas this is a 50k car that fits right in and will surely be very affordable to many in a few years.

Soldato
This weeks has a custom exhaust build on a cooper S & remap 170->209bhp .... how much was actually gained by the exhaust. ?
Custom exhaust place in Ipswich look as if they have no health an safety .. women with long hair operating pipe bending machine that's a good idea.

... vw amaroc vs ms-rt transit

Soldato
watched a bite - the overtake strategies on the roads are interesting -
but video quality is poor - waz it shot with mobile phones ... and what's with the racist dress styles ... it's like the deprocated black and white m*******

Back
Top Bottom