The "Top Gear", Season 24/25/26 thread

Associate
Cant say I will miss it, I am one of the dinosaurs who liked it when it was more about reviewing cars.
I think Channel 5 had a car program along similar lines but more consumer car orientated with tests, reviews and topical subjects related to everyday motoring, cant think of the program name of it right now.

Soldato
Cant say I will miss it, I am one of the dinosaurs who liked it when it was more about reviewing cars.
I think Channel 5 had a car program along similar lines but more consumer car orientated with tests, reviews and topical subjects related to everyday motoring, cant think of the program name of it right now.

5th gear, maybe.

Man of Honour
The problem is that the viewing figures showed exactly what happens if you have a show focussed on reviewing cars and lamenting such thrilling information as how many litres of storage the boot has with the seats up... no one watches it.

OG New Top Gear had some really good features over the years amongst all the messing about. Even the latest trio had a few segments that were really informative and interesting. IMO it was starting to find its feet after the cringe worthy antics early on so its a shame its gone but no huge loss really.

Chris was basically carrying the show once Clarkson and so on left :s all the other presenters have been ultimately forgettable and few if anyone would even shrug if any one of them was replaced I feel. I did think Flintoff was starting to find his feet in the show though.

Soldato
Personally, I actually didn't mind the Evans, Le Blanc, Harries seasons. I think Evans' pasting by fans and critics was quite undeserved.

McGuiness and Flintoff - nope. Watched a couple, was OK. Not quite sure why the BBC seems to insist on hiring northerners when it's trying to appeal to a particular demographic 20-40s?? I guess.

Quite happy with GT and online stuff life DriveTribe. Quite happy watching a quick 20 mins of the Scottish lad showing off Martin's new 530hp heart :)

Man of Honour
I think Evans' pasting by fans and critics was quite undeserved.

Aside from a couple of more serious pieces he did which were actually really good, I found him irritating personally due to trying too hard and just didn't capture the spirit of Top Gear. I didn't mind Le Blanc but was ultimately forgettable as a Top Gear host.

McGuiness and Flintoff was a common theme with Top Gear, one of them would work, not both, they needed someone else to play off which wasn't the other.

Soldato
McGuiness and Flintoff was a common theme with Top Gear, one of them would work, not both, they needed someone else to play off which wasn't the other.

That's not a bad shout tbf. Individually, there were arguably quite watchable. Mcguiness more than Flintoff personally. Together, it was like they were just messing about too much.

Caporegime
Top gear experimenting with some kind of online only format and moving away from the TV show ? This latest episode on their youtube channel has a feel of the old show about it the way the 2 presenters go back and forth. I enjoy jack as a presenter, just get chris harris on it and i'm sold.

Soldato
I always used to think I didn't like the presenter Jonny Smith when I watched that show, but his youtube channel is great. He's a good reviewer, and great host.
I used to quite like Driven on Channel 4 as well. But that may be rose-tinted glasses there...
I really rate Jonny Smith. fully charged has not been the same without him imo. that said more is better and so I get to watch 2 channels now :)

Last edited:

Dup

Dup

Soldato
This was the best review they did; their response to "why don't you review regular cars?":

Richard Porter makes some comments about Top Gear being "axed" at the beginning of this weeks Sniff & Smith podcast. Nothing we haven't figured for ourselves but he mentioned about the whole team not just the presenters and some other tidbits.

Back
Top Bottom