The Tottenham Hotspur Club Thread **No Spoilers**

Permabanned
If only the rest of the PL thought like Levy..

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/40722879

"We have a duty to manage the club appropriately," said Levy.
O come on AW has been saying that for years, typical blinkered supporters, and Levy only bitching now as he could very well be stuck, loads to pay out for a new stadium, does not leave a lot to buy players with, specially now as the market has gone crazy, its funny when Levy holds out for a huge payment for his players its fine, but let anyone else do it and the market is wrong, typical!!

You never saw him say to Citeh, what 50m for Walker, don't be silly pay us 10m that's a way more sensible figure.

Don't get me wrong the market is madness right now but Levy is the last one who should be pointing fingers.

Caporegime
O come on AW has been saying that for years, typical blinkered supporters, and Levy only bitching now as he could very well be stuck, loads to pay out for a new stadium, does not leave a lot to buy players with, specially now as the market has gone crazy, its funny when Levy holds out for a huge payment for his players its fine, but let anyone else do it and the market is wrong, typical!!

You never saw him say to Citeh, what 50m for Walker, don't be silly pay us 10m that's a way more sensible figure.

Don't get me wrong the market is madness right now but Levy is the last one who should be pointing fingers.
Absolutely this. I have always said the stadium move has come at the worst possible time for Spurs. Just when they were starting to build something, they now have to stall in transfers because of a stadium move. Plus the expense of the stadium will mean limited future transfer activity and the real possibility of losing some major stars too.

Plus they never play that well at Wembley either. Terrible move all round for them. At least when Arsenal did it, they were at the top and had recent titles underneath them to placate the fans somewhat when they knew future success would be limited. Spurs have just chucked away the best chance they have ever had of winning the premier league.

Permabanned
Absolutely this. I have always said the stadium move has come at the worst possible time for Spurs. Just when they were starting to build something, they now have to stall in transfers because of a stadium move. Plus the expense of the stadium will mean limited future transfer activity and the real possibility of losing some major stars too.

Plus they never play that well at Wembley either. Terrible move all round for them. At least when Arsenal did it, they were at the top and had recent titles underneath them to placate the fans somewhat when they knew future success would be limited. Spurs have just chucked away the best chance they have ever had of winning the premier league.
Well to be fair they had to do it, I bet money is pretty tight there even before the stadium cost.

I think spurs could well be in for a tough time, while for now they have a low wage bill I can almost guarantee after their last season players will be knocking on the door for some hefty pay rises.

Wembley is always tough to use as a home ground, but lest it's not the old one.

Very curious to see how they do this year, I think they will be out the top 6 if not 7, but hey you never know.

Soldato
Just reading an article this morning about Spurs and how you could be sailing into bother with the wage structure and that Rose may be the tip of the iceberg.

Was an interesting read but I'm it a Spurs fan so don't have as much knowledge as you guys. Is it likely from what you hear or just paper BS?

Associate
It seems that those close to the players believe that everything is ok - but I would anticipate some renegotiation for when the team moves back to WHL.

It may be wishful thinking but Sky's interview with Dele seemed to confirm this.

Soldato
Well Kane getting a new contract for £200k a week certainly changes things? Who would have thought they would see a Levy player in the Top 10 highest paid in the Prem?? :eek:

That changes things in a big way to start doubling your top earners salary... maybe we can start to compete in the transfer market again :D

Soldato
Well Kane getting a new contract for £200k a week certainly changes things? Who would have thought they would see a Levy player in the Top 10 highest paid in the Prem?? :eek:

That changes things in a big way to start doubling your top earners salary... maybe we can start to compete in the transfer market again :D

not with your new stadium you wont

Don
I did. With the amount of tv money being pulled in these days Spurs could/can comfortably afford to pay more than they have been paying, regardless of the stadium and crucially, had they not been willing to give out these bumper deals they were almost certain to lose them.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I did. With the amount of tv money being pulled in these days Spurs could/can comfortably afford to pay more than they have been paying, regardless of the stadium and crucially, had they not been willing to give out these bumper deals they were almost certain to lose them.

Exactly. This is why teams are willing to turn down ridiculous offers for players that are bang average but considered vital for their premier league survival. If Spurs didn't start paying what other teams are in wages they will simply lose their top players and drift down the table. I'm more surprised Kane wasn't on more money before now honestly.

Soldato
What is with some people and Spurs! Even when we do something which people have been moaning about people still manage to turn it into a negative :mad:

Hopefully Spurs settle into the stadium straight away and we can make further progress next season. Young side, lots of English talent, new stadium, chairman finally committing to keeping players and a good manager the future looks bright for us Spurs fans :cool:

Don
To be fair, only The One made a negative comment. Spurs have a lot of scope to increase their wagebill - relative to turnover, Spurs are one of if not the lowest payers in the League and with CL money increasing again from this coming season and very likely to be another increase in PL money in 12 months (the small drop in domestic rights will be more than covered by the increase in overseas rights), there's even more room to spend. The only question mark is the stadium. I've not been paying much attention so don't know much details on the costs of that and how it's being financed but I'd guess, at the very least, that there won't be any negative financial effect transfer/wage budgets - in other words, at the very least the additional revenue the stadium brings will cover the costs of financing it, if not providing some excess money.

fez

fez

Caporegime
BBC reporting that Spurs are going to sign Dele Alle to a new contract worth £100k/week. How is he A) not on way more than that already and B) Not demanding at least £200k/week

Don
BBC reporting that Spurs are going to sign Dele Alle to a new contract worth £100k/week. How is he A) not on way more than that already and B) Not demanding at least £200k/week
Levy must have some kind of mind control device to keep these players signing contracts with Spurs' wage structure
I think Spurs have always been clever and signed players up to new deals earlier than other clubs may do, meaning their players are always tied down for the long term and as a result, it gives Spurs a stronger bargaining position when going into negotiations. Alli for example still has 4 years to run on his existing deal - Alli doesn't have to sign this new deal but with 4 years to run on his current contract, Spurs are under no pressure to sell him so there's little to lose from Alli's point of view in signing this deal. Obviously Spurs can't take the **** with their offers or players will tell them where to go but it appears to me as if Spurs tactic is to take a short-term hit by giving out new deals & pay rises early to save themselves being put into a position where they're forced to giving huge contracts or sell players against their wishes.

That said, for every Kane & Alli there's a Dembele and Alderweireld who don't take these offers and instead will sit tight on a smaller wage to improve their bargaining position.

Back
Top Bottom