• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The value in watercooling a gpu?

Permabanned
Going by that video it's a bit of a let down as it doesn't really gain much more performance at all, the nitro can boost to 2010mhz too

I think it's been like this for a while, AMD have been pushing their factory clocks close to the limit since Fiji, Even when we get decent looking overclocks it doesn't do much for in game performance due to how the clocks adjust on the fly. I've been thinking of doing a waterloop for a couple of years but I don't see the value in it with AMD's GPU's or CPU's, A good AIO on the CPU & a decent aftermarket GPU gives as good as it gets.

Soldato
Just remove the stock fans and mount some 90-120mm ones on it instead. Much cheaper way of getting quiet and upgraded cooling :)

Soldato
It's not for anyone tbh. Other than people who want to show off their rigs.

Expensive to buy, expensive to run. No real benefit over top end air cooling apart from slightly quieter or silent.

Nope!

My rig isn't on show. No maintenance in over 2 years, so costs nothing extra. If I wanted to, I could clock higher as well, because I'm not restricted by heat.

Have you ever water cooled? I'm guessing not. I'm sure you just make things up just to talk to people :p

Soldato
Some of us
It's a case of been doing it
Since times when it made a
Big difference
2600k at 5ghz+
And when gpus were actually very
Noisy and hit 90c
So already had most of the gear
Just needed new blocks
But it's not for everyone
Each to their own I guess
I don't go around slating people
For hanging a kilo of aluminium off
Their cpu socket lol
Live and let live I say

Soldato
I'm going to watert cool my next GPU. I'm so sick of manufacturers using crap fans on their coolers that sound like jet engines

Caporegime
Nope!

My rig isn't on show. No maintenance in over 2 years, so costs nothing extra. If I wanted to, I could clock higher as well, because I'm not restricted by heat.

Have you ever water cooled? I'm guessing not. I'm sure you just make things up just to talk to people :p

when i'm talking expensive to run i mean more power draw than top end air cooling solutions.

you need to run a pump, radiator fans, etc.

i thought about it and decided against it due to cost vs increased performance not being worth it. they look great though.

Soldato
I'm going to watert cool my next GPU. I'm so sick of manufacturers using crap fans on their coolers that sound like jet engines

Yep, pay £100s (or £1000s if you buy nvidia carda) for a gpu and get the cheapest fans the manufacturer can find :\

Soldato
None of them have decent coolers. They are all loud and only just enough to keep temps below max.

On my last 2 gpus Ive done fan mods using good quality case fans, its so much better. They should just do it from the factory.

Soldato
Don't buy bottom end card.

The answer isn't spending £500 on watercooling gear.

It's spend another £20 and get one with a decent cooler on it.

Mine is silent.

my 1300 pound Asus strix 2080ti is rated as the quietest 2080ti on the market yet sounds like a jet engine.

All of them have bad fans. If you can't hear it, it's because the rest of your case is even louder or you have headphones on

Soldato
Going by that video it's a bit of a let down as it doesn't really gain much more performance at all, the nitro can boost to 2010mhz too

I've had a water cooling setup for about 7 years now and it's the best solution if you want to ensure maximum performance with lower noise levels. What I have found is watercooling puts you off from upgrading often as it's a pain in the back side to keep draining, refilling and bleeding the loop every time and it's not just the draining either, you have disconnect the whole PC find somewhere to drain it trying hard not to spill fluid over components and ends up being very awkward and fiddly. While I've enjoyed the benefits of watercooling on my next build I'm going back to air for the sake of simplicity.

Caporegime
my 1300 pound Asus strix 2080ti is rated as the quietest 2080ti on the market yet sounds like a jet engine.

All of them have bad fans. If you can't hear it, it's because the rest of your case is even louder or you have headphones on

Your card likely runs hot.

My card runs at 59c whilst playing pubg. Which isn't a friendly game to play. Fans are still silent.

2070 super jetstream.

What temps does your card whilst benchmarking or playing a brutal game?

Soldato
I've been watercooling for nearly 15 years now and yes it can be a pain in the arse and more involved but for me it's worth it mainly for the noise levels.
If you already have a custom loop for your CPU and have enough rad capacity then add the GPU to the loop.

Caporegime
I've been watercooling for nearly 15 years now and yes it can be a pain in the arse and more involved but for me it's worth it mainly for the noise levels.
If you already have a custom loop for your CPU and have enough rad capacity then add the GPU to the loop.

I have an NVR in the same room and the fan on that is noisier than my PC. My GPU is idling at 25C and room temp is 21C. I believe my card runs extremely cool therefore fans from it are never an issue.

I am looking into buying a quieter fan for the NVR but it would involve splicing wires as they use a different connector to pc's.

I have a fan controller built into my case. With settings 1-2-3. I can only hear the fans day to day on 3. On 2 you can just barely hear them as in a very slight sound and on 1 it is completely silent.

I honestly don't see the point in watercooling for me apart from aesthetics.

I also game with headphones on I don't have speakers. With them on I can't even hear the NVR and I can hear the NVR from the other room. I could hear it from downstairs before I cut off the grill using a dremel.

Caporegime

your fans will be ramping up at that temp to audible levels. not surprising. i can game at 50c in CSGO, 59c PUBG and idles at 25c in a 21c room.

my older 1080 though ran hot - would run at 75C-85C when gaming and benching. this new card is so much more efficient and a lot better built. it takes up 3 slots the heatsink is massice and it has bigger fans rather than smaller ones which make more noise.

that is the issue with my NVR. small fan and grill = siren effect. it's so loud.

Back
Top Bottom