• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: The Vega Review Thread.

What do we think about Vega?

• What has AMD been doing for the past 1-2 years?

• It consumes how many watts and is how loud!!!

• It is not that bad.

• Want to buy but put off by pricing and warranty.

• I will be buying one for sure (I own a Freesync monitor so have little choice).

• Better red than dead.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Caporegime
Vega64 needs to be ~£450 and Vega56 ~£350. Unfortunately, I suspect AMD would be making a considerable loss at such prices.

Why did they get into this situation? Surely it'd be better to just sell more 580s lol.
Is the vega line up meant to be expanding? At the moment they've got a huge gulf in 580 to v56 in terms of product offerings

Soldato
Maybe the Vega chips weren't supposed to be quite so expensive to produce, so they thought they would have Vega 56 at £350, which isn't too far from the RX 580 at sane prices. Regardless, it didn't turn out that way.

Caporegime
Maybe the Vega chips weren't supposed to be quite so expensive to produce, so they thought they would have Vega 56 at £350, which isn't too far from the RX 580 at sane prices. Regardless, it didn't turn out that way.

The 580s are stupidly priced too tbh. The 480 at one point was like 160 for 4gb and 180 for 8gb. We ended up with a rebrand that costs loads more. I get that the. 1060 isn't exactly a cracking price either. This is the most pathetic I've seen the gpu market.

Soldato
The 580s are stupidly priced too tbh. The 480 at one point was like 160 for 4gb and 180 for 8gb.
If you're talking about reference cards then yeah those prices did briefly appear.

We ended up with a rebrand that costs loads more. I get that the. 1060 isn't exactly a cracking price either. This is the most pathetic I've seen the gpu market.
Agreed, it's bad.

They cost the same before the high demand resulted in gouging and silly prices.

Are you sure? From what I remember the mining craze took off at almost the same time as the rebranded cards came out so there were never any RX 580s at "normal" prices.

Soldato
I prefer speakers.
But even with headphones it's not the best. I have pc360's so I do get background noise.

I'm almost at the point of going 1080 AIB but not yet.
I never even set up my PC speakers after I moved 18 months ago. I just use headphones all the time, partly because otherwise my girlfriend and I can't game at the same time, but also I just rarely need to use speakers and I'm happy with headphones anyway. If I want to watch TV or films or listen to music using speakers I have my HTPC setup downstairs. :)

I'm really happy wth my GPU, even if it doesn't have as much grunt as the GTX 1070 or Vega 56 it's inaudible over my standard case and CPU fan setup, and I get over 60 FPS with near-max settings in the RPGs I play, and over 100 FPS with near-max settings in FPSs I play (all at 1440p). That's enough for me hopefully for a couple of years, and I wouldn't swap the silence for a ~20 FPS bump across the board but that's just me.

Soldato
I imagine they all sound better than a reference 290x.
It's actually unbearable now. I've actually stopped playing story driven games because it's detracting from the experience.

Just get a Gelid icy cooler. simple to fit and keeps the card quiet and cool. I mean it's time to stop moaning about it. Fix it or get another card.

Caporegime
I never even set up my PC speakers after I moved 18 months ago. I just use headphones all the time, partly because otherwise my girlfriend and I can't game at the same time, but also I just rarely need to use speakers and I'm happy with headphones anyway. If I want to watch TV or films or listen to music using speakers I have my HTPC setup downstairs. :)

I'm really happy wth my GPU, even if it doesn't have as much grunt as the GTX 1070 or Vega 56 it's inaudible over my standard case and CPU fan setup, and I get over 60 FPS with near-max settings in the RPGs I play, and over 100 FPS with near-max settings in FPSs I play (all at 1440p). That's enough for me hopefully for a couple of years, and I wouldn't swap the silence for a ~20 FPS bump across the board but that's just me.

I've got a 2560x1080 144hz so I want as many frames as possible. I'd get more frames and silence from an AIB 1080. Hell an AIB 56 would suffice

Caporegime
Just get a Gelid icy cooler. simple to fit and keeps the card quiet and cool. I mean it's time to stop moaning about it. Fix it or get another card.

It's not worth fixing it, it doesn't offer enough frames anymore. And you tell me where I can buy an AIB Vega. There's nothing for me to buy, I could buy reference vega but I'm not prepared to pay the ridiculous price tag.

Or I lose the freesync I bought my monitor for and get an AIB 1080. Which is a compromise ultimately.

Back
Top Bottom