1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The wait to…points? A slap on the wrist?

Discussion in 'Motors' started by thezappa, Nov 25, 2019.

1. Rotty

Don

Generally they arrived very quickly, under a week

2. theone8181

Mobster

Personally I think you should lose your licence for speeding in a 30:p. High speed roads anything goes Imo, but not residential.

3. Fusion

Capodecina

A lot of 30 zones used to be 40mph though, and for quite a long time. This despite braking/tyre technology being inferior back then.

4. Maundie

Mobster

But also a lot less traffic and phone zombies in those days

5. yak.h'cir

Mobster

If they were paying attention sounds like you were going fast enough to be caught. It's not automatic though so if they were having a break you might get lucky!

In South Yorkshire I was offered a course following 41mph in a 30mph zone.

6. Psycho Sonny

Caporegime

So you think that because you slowed down only because you saw a speed trap they will go easy on you?

If they hadn't been there you would have kept on going at the same speed.

So what do you think? This isn't rocket science or something worth asking on a forum. just wait to see if you get a letter in the post or not.

7. thezappa

Hitman

No. I was asking if they would give a different penalty given the speed. Had I been doing 100 then the answer would be yes.
    Since the margin is a lot smaller it’s not unreasonable to think there may be a level of tolerance.
    It’s pretty clear there is a level of discretion in these things.

Thats an assumption, and not necessarily true.

One could reasonably argue that your post was not one worth posting on a forum yet here we are. There must be thousands of posts on here that according to you don’t need to be posted but people ask them for their own understanding.

8. Luke

Soldato

I got a NIP for 43 in a 40 about 10 years ago in South Yorkshire. I really wish I'd taken photo's of it as nobody ever believes me...

9. sideways14a

Wise Guy

My only nip was for 37 in a 30... well on the way out of a 30 - the picture they showed me in the bacon bus at the time had the national speed limit signs in view beside the car as they took the picture.

Delighted i was, catching me just as i sped up over the line.
    Still it was ages ago and they are long spent.. they made naff all difference to my insurance or owt so if it happened again and i had a choice between points or speeding course i would take the points.

10. Journey

Soldato

You think if you applied the same logic to a no entry sign it would be valid? If I just go past it a little bit it won't matter :p

Or is it that the actual sign indicates something is allowed start/stop or should happen at that sign or before reaching it?

11. Liquidfox

Mobster

Mine arrived day 12, that was a bit of a kick in the teeth.

12. disfunktion

Wise Guy

At the local force's discretion alas. I was done at 35 in a 30 in Central Manchester - No option of a course straight 3 points and £100 fine.

When I queried this they said it is totally upto them and the area where I was caught was deemed to be high risk and therefore they were not offering courses.

13. Semple

Soldato

A lot of 30 residential zones have now turned into 20. Tbh I have never seen a speed camera at 20mph.

14. Rotty

Don

yes. it as at discretion though what happened to you is rare

15. linktoinsanity

Underboss

It's annoying when those (now) 30 roads actually still feel like a 40 road, because of the width etc. Just have to keep reminding yourself you are in a 30.

In some cases I do wonder why they are now lower though, noting that Braking technology and car safety is superior now to what it was before, then again I suppose the roads are busier and driving standards are inferior.

16. disfunktion

Wise Guy

Yes and rather frustrating but you have no say so or right to appeal.

17. HangTime

Man of Honour

18. vanandjuanunited

Soldato

He's already passed the crash course though :p