*** The Windows XP x64 Thread ***

If we're talking about performace enthusiasts, then I agree. You made a sweeping statement with:

The real question is, will stuff work faster on XP64, and the answer is no... so until games actually get a boost from the thing, its a pointless upgrade

And it wasnt clear you were talking about only desktop machines and only games players.

Give it 6 months, and the drivers will be in place. Wont be long after that until we start seeing applications optimised for x64. Will be longer still before we start seeing games though :(

Combat squirrel said:
Otacon - could we add on to the list a firewall/antivirus list that works with x64 win ?
If you know of some that will work (other than avast, which has been mentioned), then by all means post away.

Ka0ticMind said:
Hi....i'm after drivers for my sound card ( AudioTrak Maya 5.1 MKII PCI Sound Card ) been to thier website..but can't see any 64 bit drivers available, also emailed them but they haven't replied, does anyone know where i can get drivers fot this? or am i going to have to buy another audigy 2 card?

Regards.
No joy here, sorry dude.

James_N said:
im after some canon drivers for my printer (i250) and scanner (LiDE 30)
http://www.planetamd64.com/index.php?showtopic=6090&mode=threaded

Not looking good :/

Dave said:
It says on the box that it is "fully compatible with all 802.11b products", so can I just use another companies' (belkin, linksys etc) 64-bit drivers?
I'm afraid not. By that, it means that when properly installed, it will communicate with all other 802.11b compliant devices (access points/other wireless cards) regardless of vendor.

You will need the manufacturers drivers to satisfy the 'properly installed' bit :)

The OS needs to have the drivers already bundled in order for the device to install without any CD's or other media. XP natively supports wireless configuration, but thats something different.

You wont be able to use any other drivers other than those specifically written for your hardware.

The general opinion is that if you can find working drivers for all your devices, then you should have relatively few problems using the OS, if any at all, so why not :)

Back
Top Bottom