The Witcher series (Netflix)

Caporegime
Have to say, this show should be called "The Sorceress". :D Yennefer is stealing the show! I'm gripped by her storyline. Geralt and Ciri are a bit boring so far. Just finished episode 2.

Associate
Just watched the first 2 episodes. Never knew Claudia Winkelman could act like that. Ant and Dec Bard character is bit annoying.

Geralt and Ciri so far so good and Roach is one handsome gorgeous beast of a horse.

Soldato
Have to say, this show should be called "The Sorceress". :D Yennefer is stealing the show! I'm gripped by her storyline. Geralt and Ciri are a bit boring so far. Just finished episode 2.

Agreed.

Yennerfer and Geralt are the best parts.

Awful costumes and general stage, thinking the budget was pumped into the CGI for the monsters.

Soldato
I don't get it, I was so hype for this for months and seeing people's comments here I was excited to watch the first episode tonight....I turned it off after about 30 mins, I'll have to force myself to finish it tomorrow. The effects are terrible, the first scene made Jason of the Argonauts look good. Cavill putting on that voice is really unconvincing, the script is cheesy like npc dialog I guess but that doesn't really work in a TV setting. Other actors and such are all so wooden, but mostly is just the terrible effects and staging putting me off. I feel like I'm watching a different series to everyone else lol.

I'm gutted as I've really been looking forward to it, I'm gonna push on for first 3-4 episodes incase it picks up else I'll have to just drop it.

Associate
I don't get it, I was so hype for this for months and seeing people's comments here I was excited to watch the first episode tonight....I turned it off after about 30 mins, I'll have to force myself to finish it tomorrow. The effects are terrible, the first scene made Jason of the Argonauts look good. Cavill putting on that voice is really unconvincing, the script is cheesy like npc dialog I guess but that doesn't really work in a TV setting. Other actors and such are all so wooden, but mostly is just the terrible effects and staging putting me off. I feel like I'm watching a different series to everyone else lol.

I'm gutted as I've really been looking forward to it, I'm gonna push on for first 3-4 episodes incase it picks up else I'll have to just drop it.

It's not been getting great reviews from critics and from watching the first episode i can see why. I wasn't expecting much as i thought the trailers looked really hammy and sadly that's the overall vibe i got from the first episode. Maybe it gets good later on but i can only stomach so much ropey acting.

Man of Honour

I can see how you'd get that impression but I didn't find the bad stuff too cringe worthy - the effects are mixed with some really good and some quite ropey but never bad enough I found it distracting - I found the dialogue had just enough snappiness to it to offset the cheesiness it sometimes had.

Some of the NPC stuff is done intentionally as a nod to the games I think - some of the characters actually allude to it and not just for character building i.e. dropping comments about doing the same thing over and over for the rest of their life, etc.

Overall I never found the bad stuff bad enough to put me off and I'm usually pretty easily put off by stuff like that - while the good stuff was enough to offset the rest for me personally.

Soldato
Watched the first episode and I have to say the combat is top notch. Although, and this bugged me in the games too, why do NPCs go out of their way to insult and attack a man who is an expert in combat and whose sole job is to kill things a lot bigger and scarier than they'll ever be? Do they never think, "hang on a bit, this guy is going to brutally kill me without breaking a sweat"?

Caporegime
Watched the first episode and I have to say the combat is top notch. Although, and this bugged me in the games too, why do NPCs go out of their way to insult and attack a man who is an expert in combat and whose sole job is to kill things a lot bigger and scarier than they'll ever be? Do they never think, "hang on a bit, this guy is going to brutally kill me without breaking a sweat"?

You have to remember that there are not a lot of witchers. Most of what people will know about them is reputation and their reputation is not "great fighters" it is "freaks who are barely better than the monsters they fight" It's easy for them to believe that they could take him with a few of their friends, especially when these are peasants who may not be the smartest.

Soldato
Triss is a total miscast, awful. Yennifer has grown on me a bit as the show has gone on.

At the moment anytime Henry and Dandilion arent on the show, it sucks.

The timelines jumping around all over is extremely poorly done as well.

Soldato
seen the first 4 eps - i like it, but it is a bit confusing as to what is going on sometimes (and i've read the books!).
i agree that triss is miscast although she might get better. At the moment she seems so different from both the games and the books.

Soldato
What changes have you spotted? I only noticed a couple from memory:

Fringilla is never at Aretuza, Yens backstory with her parents was tweaked slightly

Only minor stuff really I guess, there's the fact Triss isn't a red head, they've changed the witcher medallion and he doesn't wear his two swords on his back like he's supposed to

Soldato
The timelines jumping around all over is extremely poorly done as well.

I'm 4 episodes in, and despite reading the first book, and playing the games, I was also getting confused about the timelines. There are no indications at all that these are happening at different times, it was only when I read the Gamespot review (who have slated it for this reason) that I realised.

Back
Top Bottom