The worst car(s) you have ever owned/driven?

Soldato
Chrysler Neon R reg 2.0i.

It is a 2 litre petrol (injection).
It develops 100hp.

Only drove it for two days, but my 1.1 fiesta is much nicer to drive.
  • Indicators are injection moulded and hollow at the back
  • seats go backwards at shoulder level, giving no support
  • headrest only goes up/down and is about a foot from your head so no good for whiplash
  • many of the buttons are not backlit (eg: to adjust mirrors).. I ended up folding them away in the dark by mistake and had to fumble to find the switch to try and get them back and then adjust them properly..
  • steering is horrible light
  • massive understeer
  • no rear visibility - high boot and the rear doors cut up into the window as you look further back so you see none of the floor
  • bonnet drops away so you can't see the front.

Soldato
I've not driven a lot of things, but I hated the pedal position in the Peugeot 106... I have small feet but still couldn't get the hang of it.

And, it's not exactly a car, but I drove a Citroen Berlingo 1.9D van from Manchester to Kent and back.

Bit of a wake-up call going from a car with 200bhp to a van with what... 80bhp? Having to plan your overtakes and absolutely nail it to get anywhere was not fun.

Only returned 40mpg aswell :(

Associate
I win I win, I had for a while a .........FSO Polonez, seriously it must be the worst car ever built.
I bought it of an ex-girlfriends dad as my car was off the road and it was the "sport" version but I never did find out what sport had to do with that car, I had to change the starter motor on it once which took me about 8 hours and was seriously considering taking the engine out to make the job easier :(
If you dont believe me how bad a car it is this is what Clarkson thinks to it :) ..HERE

Caporegime
I think fox was probably comparing like with like as a modern car, its obviously not as bad as some of the old stuff (of which neither he nor i would have any reason to have driven :))

Hmm, I'm showing my age! :o

I always chuckle to myself when I hear people complaining about modern cars, the worst are leagues ahead of the best back in the day....

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Hmm, I'm showing my age! :o

I always chuckle to myself when I hear people complaining about modern cars, the worst are leagues ahead of the best back in the day....

To rub salt into the wounds i think the worst car ive ever had as a daily driver was a late 2004 Seat Leon 1.9TDI-S. How things change :D

Soldato
Worst cars for were both Vauxhalls.

The first was an M reg, then brand new Cavalier 2.0 130 SRi, this thing just kept on going into limp home mode and the electrics would just die for no reason. It had loads of work done to it including 3 ECU replacements, 2 half engine replacements, a full engine replacement, it had the wiring loom changed twice (I think) and it had part of the loom changed a few times too. In the end Vauxhall asked the lease company take it back after the first year so that it could be shipped to Luton so they could examine. The lease company replaced this with,

dah-dah, a brand new on an N plate Vectra 2.0 CDX, used to do a lot of miles and I always felt drowsy in it. After a year of hassling Vauxhall it turned out there the heater matrix for the heating inside the cabin had microscopic holes which vented the coolant as a fine spray into the cabin. It also suffered from the common Vectra problems including chucking brake fluid over the front disks which does make braking slightly frightening.

Swore after the above 2 I'd never ever buy a Vauxhall and to date have kept my promise :)

Associate
I remember going to a band rehearsal in a mates G reg Metro, even if it had been properly maintained it would have been dog awful but this had been massively negelected. Only had first and fourth gear working, he'd have to absolutely rev the nuts off it than bang it into fourth and just hope for the best :eek:. Drove a 2CV for a shortwhile and that thing was like a Merc compared to the horror of the Metro.

Soldato
I win I win, I had for a while a .........FSO Polonez, seriously it must be the worst car ever built.
I bought it of an ex-girlfriends dad as my car was off the road and it was the "sport" version but I never did find out what sport had to do with that car, I had to change the starter motor on it once which took me about 8 hours and was seriously considering taking the engine out to make the job easier :(
If you dont believe me how bad a car it is this is what Clarkson thinks to it :) ..HERE

Yeah, pretty crap car.

However, that's living the high life compared to a Zastava Yugo: -

yugo4519881bo7.jpg

Help (google image) yourself to pics of the outside but have some eyewash handy. :)

Has anyone called penski and told him someone made a thread packed of all of his most favourite cars? :p

Man of Honour
Daewoo Matiz 0.9L. Enough said.

Small, rattled, no feel at all though the steering, and absolutely no power. That said, it is my mates and we have had over 100 indicated on the clock with me as a passenger, while out-dragging a chaved out clio. Was funny, if a little scary (yes i know 100 on the clock is not 100, but the cars top speed is meant to be something like 85 lol)

I've not driven that many cars compared to most here but I'm going to disagree, if you accept that the Matiz is chronically underpowered (and frankly you have no choice in the issue) and was designed for nipping around town then it suddenly becomes a rather different proposition. Sure, you've got to bury your foot to get anything like acceptable performance and going round corners at anything more than 60mph is slightly worrying but there is a certain amount of satisfaction to be gained from it. There is even more satisfaction when you successfully overtake for two reasons - the obvious one is that you've managed to wring every last bit of power out of an engine that wouldn't look out of place in a lawnmower and the other one is the look on the drivers face that you've just passed - probably 95% of the people I overtook would instantly try to re-overtake as soon as I moved back in, the indignity was too much or something like that - I liked to think of it as me doing my part to keep Britain's roads moving at an acceptable pace. ;)

As for the worst car I've ever driven, probably a 1L 3 cyclinder Suzuki Swift (my parents have a penchant for buying underpowered cars, the Matiz was 0.8L), atrocious handling, serious lack of power because it was a lot heavier, the electric windows broke on it, the body seemed to be made out of cardboard judging by how easily it picked up small dents. However it did the job more or less so I can't judge it too harshly.

Associate
I think the worse car i have driven is a TATA pick up that was about 5years old. I took it for an MOT for the owner & was horrified at how it drove. Not the worst car i have driven though as that has to be one of my many sheds i used to buy from scrappys, Spanner for a day or two then run them until they died.
Judging by previous posts on this forum if i described them half of the members here wouldn't sleep for 6 months :p

Damn, had forgotten about the TATA pickup I drive occasionally...scrap my previous post about the Cabstar!

Soldato
1996 1.1 Fiat Punto.

My god that thing was a death trap. At 65/70mph is used to rock back and forth and the engine literally sounded like it was going to explode and when going round a corner, you used to think it'd just roll over. Such a POS car, i can't believe anyone bought it brand new! :p

Soldato
I drive cars part time in the evenings and reposess them sometimes at weekends, so I get to drive the creme of cars. The worst one to date was a rover 75 that belonged to a mars rep.

It lasted 4 miles before running out of water, then went another 3 miles, during which absolutely none of the electrics would work apart from the fuel gauge.

Generally I have never driven a nice Daewoo.

Recently I drive a transit connect van. Im sure that companies only buy them because they want an employee to leave and give it to them as a punishment. It used half a tank of diesel coming from London and rattled all over the place. It was horrible to the extreme.

Soldato
Yeah, pretty crap car.

However, that's living the high life compared to a Zastava Yugo: -

yugo4519881bo7.jpg

Help (google image) yourself to pics of the outside but have some eyewash handy. :)

Has anyone called penski and told him someone made a thread packed of all of his most favourite cars? :p

Cmon, that was a luxury car compared to my first ever car........(don't laugh......no honestly, don't laugh....) it was a:

LADA RIVA.

/hides in shame :p

Soldato
1996 1.1 Fiat Punto.

My god that thing was a death trap. At 65/70mph is used to rock back and forth and the engine literally sounded like it was going to explode and when going round a corner, you used to think it'd just roll over. Such a POS car, i can't believe anyone bought it brand new! :p

Wasn't the Mk1 punto a car of the year somewhere??? :D

Soldato
I've not driven that many cars compared to most here but I'm going to disagree, if you accept that the Matiz is chronically underpowered (and frankly you have no choice in the issue) and was designed for nipping around town then it suddenly becomes a rather different proposition. Sure, you've got to bury your foot to get anything like acceptable performance and going round corners at anything more than 60mph is slightly worrying but there is a certain amount of satisfaction to be gained from it. There is even more satisfaction when you successfully overtake for two reasons - the obvious one is that you've managed to wring every last bit of power out of an engine that wouldn't look out of place in a lawnmower and the other one is the look on the drivers face that you've just passed - probably 95% of the people I overtook would instantly try to re-overtake as soon as I moved back in, the indignity was too much or something like that - I liked to think of it as me doing my part to keep Britain's roads moving at an acceptable pace. ;)

LOL

:D

Back
Top Bottom