TheSkyNet news thread - 17/10/11

Associate
There is certainly something up with the Trophy system. Just been awarded The HAL (9000), The Core (30000), Owner of the Galaxy (100000) & The space Traveler (384000).
The trophies for me were correct @ 2800ish points when i checked yesterday but now @ 3021 they are showing incorrect so it may be going wrong ~3000 points or everyone may have been given them accidentally today??
As long as the science i correct who cares if the trophies are wrong but im sure i can be sorted.

Soldato
OP
From the main forums, regarding the stall in points every now and again

Hi All,

Credit problems noted and the problem is caused by server instability - as suspected. I am keeping the system running manually at present while we trace the problem (which could even be the new hardware the DB was moved to last week). There may be still a couple hours of stagnation if I don't get to the server when broken e.g. while asleep. But it should be running fine now.

In the meantime please bear with us - if you're not getting credits then at least no-one else is, and the processing code is unaffected (the results are coming back just fine).

Thanks again

Rhys

Soldato
I was about to say it would be down for the night but its running again, still going to post this anyway...sorry Tim :D

For those who dont know who Ageotas (Tim Young) is or what he does .....

http://www.scitech.org.au/about/scitech-presenter-set-to-star-on-beauty-and-the-geek.html

Tim - Front left on 'Beauty and the Geek' 2010

frontleftg.jpg

...the polarimetry of single pulse emissions from the Vela Pulsar - What guys will do to pull chicks :p

Last edited:
Associate
OK ive got this up and running (i think):confused:

Im geting points but no processor usage:confused:

Does this realy not have any front end, if not how do you run multiple cores?

Not realy had time to fool with it work getting in the way:(

Soldato
OP
Your on the team page and gaining points - I've no active work at the minute either.
For more clients - log into the website, and press the green tick for extra brower based clients.
You can have one per core open (one less if running the background client)

Associate
Can you not have multiple cores running on the background client?

I think a minimal front end for the background client is going to be a must even if it just shows the number of active clients and allows you to launch/stop multiple cores.

Soldato
Am well chuffed that i am able to run seti and do a bit here too will try my best :)

Has anyone given this much thought? With the sudden influx of information and crunchers there's allways the chance TheSkyNet could become self aware and come back to bite us on the asp .... runs n hides :D

Permabanned
Hehe, It's funny how I only push my system more for folding and not gaming. Overclocked by CPU by another 400mhz and upped my graphics card for higher core clock and extra 50gb/s throughput on the memory.

Being economical you see, my PC = my radiator and heater :p

Soldato
Hehe, It's funny how I only push my system more for folding and not gaming. Overclocked by CPU by another 400mhz and upped my graphics card for higher core clock and extra 50gb/s throughput on the memory.

Being economical you see, my PC = my radiator and heater :p

Aye tis the season for heavy duty overclocks and save on the central heating :)

Soldato
OP
Spent most of the morning tweeking the spreadsheet and set up the graphs in advance.
Mainly as I've a favour to ask - would anyone like to do the news this week?
I'll be in spain for a week and can't guarentee I'll have computer access every day.

It involves a manuel stats grap off TheSkyNet 'ladder' tab
(as the team one updates less frequently and Biffa and DavidCopeman's stats are not recorded correctly)
Using firefox it's easier as the usernames are remembered - but it still 19 look ups.
With both the position and points score added to the spreadsheet.
Every thing is auto from then on except the high/low ppd value - that done by hand
I'm sure an excel macro could do it - might read up on it this week.

Oh and MarineIguana - looks like you forgot to switch it on again ;)

And I'm taking loudbob, dekez, Biffa and LavaMoney off the graphs this week as they are all inactive currently :(

Last edited:
Associate
Ok so Hydra dropped a bigadv(6903) at 98%:mad:

For her penance she is now doing skynet, i say for her penance you should try setting up 48 cores on this its a PITA:eek:

Soldato
OP
is that 48 cores? or 24 core all hyperthreaded?
And that some serious point out put - you're going to love the graphs this week :D

Thankd halz - I'll e-mail you the database on friday.
You do have excel2000 or newer I hope ;)

Last edited:
Associate
Thats 48 core AMD at 2.9Ghz or 52212 MIPS:D

Cant do this for long the network load is huge i think 100+ GB a month just with what i have running now:(

Edit: Not sure how much work its doing ,seems only 3-4 cores are loaded im just getting the points for active clients.
Thats 4608 points per day just for active clients.

Last edited:
Soldato
I completely forgot about this, not bad considering it's only running on 2 machines at work which are rather crap old workstations without much (read any) oomph. Should probably stay late one night and install it on the whole office :)

Back
Top Bottom