TheSkyNet news thread - 17/10/11

Associate
Not sure if im running any more , not showing in the console anymore:confused:

My rapid points gain from earlier has stopped:confused:

Im with Biffa on this one, not sure what im doing either which adds to my insecurity:(

Im not seeing any cpu use with a lot of the clients but my internet connection is getting hammered:confused:

Biffa you have mail:)

Soldato
OP
They are having issues with the servers atm - it is beta afterall.
One of the tech keeps needing to wake it up - which is not so quick when he is asleep himself :(

just started my 4 clients and they are gaining points - not anymore they're not :(

Last edited:
Permabanned
Yeah baba. Woke up again this morning to find my 2 instances had stopped running. With little to zero point gain over the night. Very frustrating to donate resources and then for it to just simply keep breaking or not work.

Gonna give it another week personally, if not I'll retire this project as i'd rather donate 100% resources to BOINC which can use it. I understand its new and there are bugs, but it's been a constant drop issue and I'm literally going out my way to help in this project. Where BOINC is all inclusive as one and I can control it easily.

I'd hope skynet would make a more easier and reliable manager, via the browser I can only but imagine is what is maybe causing certain instability.

EDIT: Trying to start it up again, just failing to work and not processing anything, Skynet is down?

Last edited:
Associate
Hydra did nothing all night, i restarted all 48 clients this morning and only 33 show up:confused:

How can i restart the backgnd client easily, i have it installed on two rigs but they are no longer showing up?

Above all they need to get this thing stable i realy cant be babysitting it all the time:(

Dont know if i even processed anything but my internet connection took a 2.4Gb hit in 24 hrs.

Soldato
OP
tbh BaBa It's not ready for Hydra atm - the whole DC community have jumped on this project I bit to early.
In some part due to threads like this :o
Babysitting and zero credit crunching are currently the normal for at least a week while the servers are sorted out on a shoestring budget.

Man of Honour
Biffa you have mail:)

Replied
sekret.gif

Man of Honour
tbh BaBa It's not ready for Hydra atm - the whole DC community have jumped on this project I bit to early.
In some part due to threads like this :o
Babysitting and zero credit crunching are currently the normal for at least a week while the servers are sorted out on a shoestring budget.

This is what it feels like when I run TheSkyNet:

hitbyabus1.gif

Permabanned
Been running 1 instance only all night to monitor it. about 15-20credits earnt and dies again, shows as no machines and MIPs offline.

I'm really excited about this project, it's fresh, modern and the team behind it seem great. Just hope they can get a long term fix in place soon.

Soldato
It's not ready for Hydra atm - the whole DC community have jumped on this project I bit to early.

I'm with you on that one, I dont think it was their intention for it to run flat out.
Although some people have been asking for it to be capable of being run like that (and use gpu's) I hope they resist.

Lots of people doing small chunks was the message, low carbon footprint and all that I presume.
I do feel guilty using loads of electricity on various Boinc projects, this is why I admire the route they have taken.
Yes, I dont have to run them like that but you get sucked into the competition.

As Ba found out, the data consumption on the Hydra was getting silly, imagine if it was gpu enabled.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Post from the skynet team leader

Hi all,
thanks very much for the support and also highlighting your concerns, this shows us that you are keen for this project to succeed and we appreciate you steering us in the right direction and keeping us focused on the important issues you're experiencing. As some of you have suggested everyone involved with theSkyNet is working very hard to take care of these issues and keep data (and credits) flowing at a consistent rate. We want you to have a good expereince with theSkyNet and once we attain stability we'll begin looking to grow the project and working towrds addiitonal functionality for the user. Right now we're doing neither as we focus on fixing resolving the issues our current user base has.

Getting this type of project up and going is new territory for us and as such we are learning lessons as we go. The important thing is that the system works, despite some issues here and there, and we (you!) have been processing radio astronomy data which has allowed our scientists to test the system, reine the system, demonstrate that the data products produced are scientifically credible and begin processing data that will ultimately contribute to the science being undertaken by this organisation. So big pats on the back all round for theSkyNet community are in order, thank you.

We'll endeavour to announce any major outages due to backend modifications but for the next few days you may experience some temporary halts in the data flow as we try and identify a particular 'glitch in the matrix' and resolve. Once this has been done we should see consistent uninterupted flow of data (and credits) to keep your machines busy, after all we don't want them getting bored do we! We had a meeting yesterday with everyone working on the project, at the meeting all issues were discussed across the front and backends of the system and priorities set. We expect to see all major issues and core front end functionality (pause button, alliance issues etc.) taken care of within the next 2 of weeks with less major issues and functionality added in the following 2 weeks, idealy giving us complete stability within 4 weeks.

Thanks for your support, contribution and continued patience, we do appreciate it.

Permabanned
Am I right in saying as long as your web instances are open and running, as soon as the backend is working again, skynet will automatically started crunching and add credits?

As it wasn't working last night when I went to bed, (left the 1 instance open) but woke up to skynet crunching away.

Soldato
Yes, I just leave the web app open all the time and it continues once the servers are back up. The only problem is that it continues to use loads of memory even when it is not doing anything. Six instances use almost 4gb on my system.

Soldato
Mainly as I've a favour to ask - would anyone like to do the news this week?
I'll be in spain for a week and can't guarentee I'll have computer access every day.

Just make sure it only a week ! :D

Every thing is auto from then on except the high/low ppd value - that done by hand

Wish I read that bit properly, just spent ages trying to figure that out :o

There maybe some compatability issues if you use my spreadsheet when you get back
as I have a more recent edition of Excel and got a couple of warning's regarding backward
compatability when I saved it, I dont think its to serious but cant be sure.

Soldato
Quick inter Team snapshot

OKEgb.png

To the 'ScienceNetwork WA', OcUK are inbound, E.T.A .....couple of hours, pack your bags and vacate the premises :D

Back
Top Bottom