• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

They are Here

Capodecina
Soldato
I am about the ask the most irritating question every devised by mankind. Ready? Here we go.

Is it worth getting a 3870 over an 8800 GT?

A one word answer will do.

Soldato
Hi there

OK sold well over another 100+ since I booked in that stock, think these will be sold out by end of day.

Not had an ATI launch this positive for a long time. :)

Probably because you have no 8800 GTs in stock.

I've decided to wait for a GT after seeing more reviews.

I'm sure when new shipment of GTs comes along they'll drop in price and you get on average 25% more performance.

Still the spoiled child in me makes me want one NOW!!!!!

Associate
If you buy new ATI card then if Nvidia new Geforce 9 released into market - how would you feel about it and can you afford to replace very soon? I would rather wait until Nvidia release new one cos Im no in hurry to buy new one as you know clock run so fast so take it time --- Nvidia new Geforce 9 may be better one to get but have to wait and see when it comes in Q1 2008 - I used ATI Radeon but moved to Nvidia as I own Geforce 8800GTX and think about to get new GF9.

Soldato
The 9 series is rumoured to be q2 2008 according to what i have read. They are however supposedly bring out a 8800gx2 in q1. So you may be waiting a lot longer for your 9 series card when you could pick up a nice cheap fast card right now.

Associate
either Q1 or Q2 2008 for new GF9 -- I rather wait until it release, plenty of time and I dont want to spend too much< i rather save my money just now until later like I say Im no in hurry.. just hang on as you know clock run so fast.

Suspended
why? 10.1 has no use and is a tiny upgrade? any soundcard can do 5.1, even onboard can :confused:
personally the GT is worth it. no gimmicks and better performance for a appropriate price, unless you have a overwhelming need for a low wattage/cooler card.

Associate
Hands up. I have never owned an ATI card.

This Gen I've had EVGA AC3 8800GTX, BFG 8800GTS 320, LEADTECK 8800GTS 640.

Now, is it me or do Nvidia cards seem to be getting disposable lately.

A New card comes out yey! Reviews, benchmarks, how hot is yours, loving it,
and so on. Two months later and another one comes out and every one carn't wait to bin them off for the new card!

Must have the latest I hear you say.
Fair enough this is up to you, if you have the cash why not. But what happens to the old card, how soon they are forgotten. 7900GTX?

Ok enough, just seems to me older ATI cards are not forgotten so quickly.
9800pro,x1900xt, anyone. The x1900xt can still be found included in some modern benches.

I could be wrong.
All I said was it might be time for me to try one:)

Last edited:
Soldato
This Gen I've had EVGA AC3 8800GTX, BFG 8800GTS 320, LEADTECK 8800GTS 640.

Now, is it me or do Nvidia cards seem to be getting disposable lately.

A New card comes out yey! Reviews, benchmarks, how hot is yours, loving it,
and so on. Two months later and another one comes out and every one carn't wait to bin them off for the new card!

Must have the latest I hear you say.
Fair enough this is up to you, if you have the cash why not. But what happens to the old card, how soon they are forgotten. 7900GTX?

Ok enough, just seems to me older ATI cards are not forgotten so quickly.
9800pro,x1900xt, anyone. The x1900xt can still be found included in some modern benches.

I could be wrong.
All I said was it might be time for me to try one:)

Had my 8800GTX for ages and its still the best £ per performance card around.

Caporegime
hm i think people are getting a bit faddish if they are swapping cards with ~ 10-20% performance differential 3 times in 12 months!

but it does go to show the strength of the 8800xxx series since its launch!

for the record, since selling my 7800GTX earlier in the year i got an 8800GTX, sold that and now have a 8800GT and for all intents that was more than enough changing for me, i only got the gtx because i bought it at a price that i could not turn down.

Back
Top Bottom