They never turned up to fit my smart meter

Soldato
If you think about when you use electricity, running an electric oven, telly on, laundry on, all when you get in from work before bed. That creates a lot of demand. You need to build enough power generation to supply that peak power. The rest of the time, the generators just work less which is “wasted” capacity. If you off set the peak, you need to build less generators, but run them for longer.

there’s a lot more to it, but that’s the general gist.

the cheap tariffs aim to encourage that offset.
Exactly this.
Some generators are paid not to generate during the slow hours. Smoothing out the use is better for everyone.

Quite frankly, I don't see the energy companies ever wanting to do anything that has you paying them less, that just seems like bad business.
It leaves me suspicious of these meters.
Suppliers still make a profit on cheap over night energy tariffs.
Last year people using overnight energy were paid (given credit) to use it.

Associate
Someone make their mind up. Is it saving us money or not?

No. Because any saving you make on being able to charge your EV overnight (how many people can actually afford an EV? I think it's overstating it massively to say this is a reason to support the argument), or set your 'smart' washing machine to come on overnight (one load overnight, when I need to do 2 or 3 a day?)...I'm struggling now...what else can I postpone to overnight cheap electricity?...My ironing...? My cooking...? My TV watching...? The kids gaming...? Yeah, nah. It'll all be off-set, and then some, by a massive hike in peak-energy costs when the 'normal' family needs/have to do things. Or we going to have to delay feeding the kids until after 23:00 and before 06:00?

The only people that will get anywhere near making any sort of saving, are those that don't need to make the saving, i.e. people that can already afford 1 or more EV, smart appliances, have the freedom to control when/where/how they work.

The thousands of people that are struggling to make ends meet, in rented accommodation, with cheap, non-smart appliances, kids, no car, have to work when they're told, will not be able to make enough of an adjustment to their lives to benefit. In fact, I suggest their cost of living will dramatically increase. But hey, they just need to work harder, don't they? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Hasn't it always been the case that the leccy is cheaper at night? I'm not versed in the technical terms of the meter but doesn't that disc spin slower at night?
depends on your contract, economy 7 is a system thats radio controlled and switches between peak and off peak depending on a radio signal. That system is getting turned off next year in favour of smart meters :(

Commissario
depends on your contract, economy 7 is a system thats radio controlled and switches between peak and off peak depending on a radio signal. That system is getting turned off next year in favour of smart meters :(
tbh smart meters are probably far more reliable than the old economy 7 system which always had major issues with incorrect readings and the meters getting noted down the wrong way round (not to mention potential failures in the switch over).

We never had it, but I know quite a few people who had issues (often major ones) with the readings, often after changing suppliers or similar.

Associate
You're uneducated in this field Lee, step away from it to save yourself from further embarrassment.

You're welcome.

Tbh, this quote applies to you. You know nothing.
Stop putting yourself across as an expert, as it's embarrasing for you........ You're welcome.

Your talking arse about paying 5p/kwh per unit, or are you in an area where octopus have a wind turbine, or on a past fixed term rate?
I sell commercial rates at 7.5p kwh on the same turbine octopus advertise, day or night. Unfortunatly I'm stuck on this until 23.
Current commercial selling rate is between 20 to 25p/kwh at the moment, probably dropping to 15pkwh in a years time. My prediction is that will be the new norm, so househould rates around double that.

I've always kept track of the industry, let go a planning permission for a 250kw pv system when they all of a sudden ditched the Fit for solar. I'm doing a scoping report now if its worth the investment again & commercial battery backup to take a high using factory off grid in triad events, etc.
Ever heard of triad John smith....lol. You have a narrow view. I'm sure your rate may be right for you, but peak pricing to stop demand is coming & the more people put off smart meters, the better.
It's going to lead to a backward step in living standards for the less well off.
Our grid is knackerd, especially out of the cities, the investment needed for a carbon free, all green electric future is going to povertise the uk compared to China, etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
I am also on the 5p Octopus Go Tariff. Will rise to the current rate of 7.5p when the fixing ends (IIRC for me this is Oct 22 - although I would need to double check my account).

Anyone who was locked in before the new rise would also be on the 5p rate.

Associate
I am also on the 5p Octopus Go Tariff. Will rise to the current rate of 7.5p when the fixing ends (IIRC for me this is Oct 22 - although I would need to double check my account).

I'm locked till Nov this year. I might jump to EDF if they still offer the 4.5p rate.

Associate

Exactly & this is a subsidised rate.
Private rates are always subsidised by commercial, but to pretend this will last is a fallacy as demand grows.
Please retort John Smith. I'm up for the debate.
How will smart meters not lead to a degredation of living standards?

Last edited:
Permabanned
How are you using so little in the day? Do you have solar or battery storage?

How much leccy have you used so far today?
How much does a fridge use a day? How much does a balls to the wall PC with saving states off use a day compared to a more modest PC which does the job but doesn't having bragging rights?
To all the single men out there in a one bedroom flat...How much leccy do we actually use? lol

Back
Top Bottom