Things I don't like (TIDL) thread

Man of Honour
Hangovers

Switch to vodka, I haven’t had a hangover since 1974, when I
switched from whisky to vodka, in a bar in Poznań, Poland.
Scotch was beaucoup złotys, my Polish girlfriend suggested I
should try the National hooch, and I’ve never looked back.

Man of Honour
Microsoft setting defaults to US English. Even though you've selected on UK Keyboard layout on install, it won't automatically set UK for language/regional settings.

Always has done for me, but then again I've always had UK English copies of Windows retail. Maybe don't install US English native versions, or pirate versions arrr mateyyy since they're typically ENG-US native :p

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Microsoft setting defaults to US English. Even though you've selected on UK Keyboard layout on install, it won't automatically set UK for language/regional settings.
This is not the case for any MS ISO which i have used. I have used a S2016 ISO a couple of times just this morning and it certainly sets the region settings to UK.

Soldato
Recently this has been irking me in my workplace, a large corporate HQ... I'll be walking around the building and spot women (ok 3 so far) who dye their hair in bright colours like super bright purple, blue or a rainbow mixture, then a few weeks later it's dyed a different obnoxious colour.

It strikes me these women either;
a - want to be noticed and get the attention (which is shame as they're all not attractive)
b - lead dull lives and think they're being fashionable/leading a trend

get a life!

Soldato
Always has done for me, but then again I've always had UK English copies of Windows retail. Maybe don't install US English native versions, or pirate versions arrr mateyyy since they're typically ENG-US native :p

This is not the case for any MS ISO which i have used. I have used a S2016 ISO a couple of times just this morning and it certainly sets the region settings to UK.

I just thought i'd look into this further after your replies.
It turns out that the default "English" ISO language that I've been using for probably almost a decade is US English (EN-US) and it transpires that there is an "English-International" ISO language option that is British English (EN-GB).

I'm going to go and simultaneously cry and scream into a pillow.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
It turns out that the default "English" ISO language that I've been using for probably almost a decade is US English (EN-US) and it transpires that there is an "English-International" ISO language option that is British English (EN-GB).

haha :) You'll find that if you use a japanese one then it defaults to Japanese, too :D

Soldato
haha :) You'll find that if you use a japanese one then it defaults to Japanese, too :D

Silly me for thinking English would be English ay? :p Why don't they put EN-US if it's EN-US?!

qssIXwm.png

But definitely silly me for not looking at the 'English-International' properly, or at all for that matter.

Things I don't like: Microsoft not naming their languages properly.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
To be totally fair to them....we are using American software written by american people and named by Americans. While i am always happy to hate on Americans, i cant totally blame them for naming UK English as Intl English and leaving simply "English" as US English :p

Soldato

It wasn't like that all the time, something MS started doing a few years back. Retail copies of Windows 9X were always US English (EN-US).

Commissario
OP
Switch to vodka, I haven’t had a hangover since 1974, when I
switched from whisky to vodka, in a bar in Poznań, Poland.
Scotch was beaucoup złotys, my Polish girlfriend suggested I
should try the National hooch, and I’ve never looked back.
God no, vodka does terrible things to me.
It’s slowly going away, have an 11 hour flight soon :(

Man of Honour
To be totally fair to them....we are using American software written by american people and named by Americans. While i am always happy to hate on Americans, i cant totally blame them for naming UK English as Intl English and leaving simply "English" as US English :p

Purely out of curiosity, why would anyone be happy to hate on Americans?
I have French blood, and I’m proud of it, I make no secret of the fact that I root for La République whenever they have a sporting fixture, even if it’s with England, although I’m happy for my kids and my friends if England win anything.
I fly the Tricoleur on Bastille Day, and flew a small one on my Black Cab during the World Cup and Euros, much to the chagrin of my fellow drivers, so I’ve experienced the senseless insults about France and the French, from people who’ve never set foot there.
Okay, I poked the bear by proudly declaring my allegiance, but what transgressions have Americans committed to earn their opprobrium?

Soldato
Recently this has been irking me in my workplace, a large corporate HQ... I'll be walking around the building and spot women (ok 3 so far) who dye their hair in bright colours like super bright purple, blue or a rainbow mixture, then a few weeks later it's dyed a different obnoxious colour.

It strikes me these women either;
a - want to be noticed and get the attention (which is shame as they're all not attractive)
b - lead dull lives and think they're being fashionable/leading a trend

get a life!
I bet they get lots of satisfaction knowing their choice of arbitrary colour annoys you. Or maybe they just like being colourful.

Back
Top Bottom