Things that require two hands

Associate
I need some help for what will be part of an assignment.

I've already come up with the idea of a restraint of sort - a device that is a lockable reel wiith a retractable belt that can be retrofit onto a current chopping board to restrain whatever is required by having clips on the reel housing and end of belt.
I've came up with all sorts of ideas to aid cleaning the item and also different cross sections of belts to aid holdingg different shaped objects. I know it isn't the best of ideas but when your task is to design something to assist independance for disabled there isn't much that hasn't already been done to death and then some more.

I've already thought of flipping the reel 90° and having it clip into an adjustable clamp for worktops and the belt looping and clipping into the reel so that it can tighten and hold jars, but my idea doesn't seem that great when you actually google one handed chopping boards and jar openers and see what is on offer at the prices they are offering; so I'm trying to broaden my market by thinking of a means to use my device outside of a chopping board / jar perspective.

tldr: Mechanism kinda like a seat belt, with clips on the mechanism and end of the belt to clip onto things and be flipped/supported 90°, and where mechanism can tighen enough to restrain the object. Need ideas of things it could restrain for one handed person activities or just activities a one handed person would struggle with.

http://mmc-manuals.ru/manuals/l200_2006/online/Service_Manual/img/00/AC100083AC00ENG.png

Bar

Bar

Soldato
So the kind of things I would think of:

Slicing loaves of bread
Slicing joints of Meat
Preparing vegatables
Opening bottles / jars (although you would need to be able to alter the orientation)

Couple of design considerations: Hygiene / cleanability - possibly alter your design to use things like rubberised "I" straps with different elasticity / lengths. Will achieve what you are looking for, but cheaper / easier to replace and clean.

Soldato

Slicing loaves of bread
Slicing joints of Meat
Preparing vegatables
Opening bottles / jars (although you would need to be able to alter the orientation)

Couple of design considerations: Hygiene / cleanability - possibly alter your design to use things like rubberised "I" straps with different elasticity / lengths. Will achieve what you are looking for, but cheaper / easier to replace and clean.

if this is to assist the lives of people with only 1 arm then with the exception of the bottles/jars you've got pre-sliced/prepared versions available.

bottles and jars themselves can be tricky, even for folks with 2 hands (i mean there's even hollywood stereotypes about it) the best way i can think is adapting the wrap around device often used by mechanics for removing oil filters and the like but fixed in position (as in bolted down)

Associate
OP

Slicing loaves of bread
Slicing joints of Meat
Preparing vegatables

Pretty much all those have very good alternatives.
Pretty much this that can hold bread or other devices such as a cheese grater.
https://www.completecareshop.co.uk/...CMolGaiZULs_O9Es_WVtMYBMBGDyGDN0aAu-bEALw_wcB

My main argument against this design or similar is hygiene and ease to clean one handed. The pros of this sort of design are the spikes that help aid for peeling potatoes etc which is simple but effective. I've thought of an attachment that clips onto the belt and the belt pulled tight to work in a similar way.

I've drew all sorts of different shaped designs from I to C to half a C to ribbed etc for grip that could be changed as needed and also the changability means replacements are cheap rather than buying a full new assembly with reel included.

@Jonnybmac there is a wood working device called a bench hook which might provide some inspiration by the sound of what you are suggesting.

I took inspiration from the joiners clamps you use where you squeeze and they tighten as a means of fastening the reel to the worktop when needed.

if this is to assist the lives of people with only 1 arm then with the exception of the bottles/jars you've got pre-sliced/prepared versions available.

bottles and jars themselves can be tricky, even for folks with 2 hands (i mean there's even hollywood stereotypes about it) the best way i can think is adapting the wrap around device often used by mechanics for removing oil filters and the like but fixed in position (as in bolted down)

Yeah see the bottle idea is great but there's products on the market for a few quid where its a V-shape and you just slide it in and twist.

Maybe I'm just peeing in the wind with this one but I can't really think of any designs that could be improved upon for disabled or elderly people.

Associate
Might already exist but what about a product which holds pans steady on the hob so that they can be stirred vigorously with the other hand without falling off/over?

I have an induction hob and I imagine stirring with only one hand would have the pan all over the place with it just being smooth glass.

Back
Top Bottom