Things that require two hands

Associate
Putting in contact lenses - I'll have to give that a go one handed. Could be done with a subtle thumb-flick on to the fourth finger perhaps. Holding a contact lens cleaning solution with one hand and a contact lens delicately perched on a finger in the other is one more consideration.

Yep, that's utterly impossibly for a vice/clamping device to do.

Soldato
Might already exist but what about a product which holds pans steady on the hob so that they can be stirred vigorously with the other hand without falling off/over?

I have an induction hob and I imagine stirring with only one hand would have the pan all over the place with it just being smooth glass.

magnets

not even joking, electromagnets integrated into the heating element itself.

Man of Honour
a brake mechanism for bog roll.

annoying when you go to grab a few sheets and the roll spins on leaving a birds nest of paper on the floor.

would put labrador puppies out of a job, but hey, thats business

Associate
magnets

not even joking, electromagnets integrated into the heating element itself.

If this hasn't already been made then we may be on to something here. It could self engage once the pan is placed down and then would need to unlock easily too. The stronger the better. Could also be marketed as safe to prevent children pulling the pan onto themselves.

Soldato
If this hasn't already been made then we may be on to something here. It could self engage once the pan is placed down and then would need to unlock easily too. The stronger the better. Could also be marketed as safe to prevent children pulling the pan onto themselves.

i'd suggest simply have it as part of the heating element- element is turned on it sticks the pan down, turn the element off to unstick it.

of course the big downfall is it wouldn't work with non magnetic pans.

Associate
i'd suggest simply have it as part of the heating element- element is turned on it sticks the pan down, turn the element off to unstick it.

of course the big downfall is it wouldn't work with non magnetic pans.

Induction hobs don't work with non-magnetic pans anyway do they?

One potential issue is when it starts to boil over and you want to lift it off quickly. If it's bubbling or splashing like mad and you have to stick your hands in and try to fiddle a control to turn it down, it could end badly. Haha.

Anyway, we've brainstormed the genius idea, Jonnybmac can come up with the intricate details.

Soldato
Washing your arm pits

You cannot wash your left pit very well with your left hand and vice versa without breaking some bones
That's actually really easy to do, you you just apply the soap to your left pit with you right hand (or visa versa) then rub the soapy hand in the right pit, then close your right pit and rub it back/forth.

Soldato
That's actually really easy to do, you you just apply the soap to your left pit with you right hand (or visa versa) then rub the soapy hand in the right pit, then close your right pit and rub it back/forth.

The idea of the thread is, you don't have use of your right hand to apply soap to the left side :p

Associate
OP
Putting in contact lenses - I'll have to give that a go one handed. Could be done with a subtle thumb-flick on to the fourth finger perhaps. Holding a contact lens cleaning solution with one hand and a contact lens delicately perched on a finger in the other is one more consideration.

Yep, that's utterly impossibly for a vice/clamping device to do.

a brake mechanism for bog roll.

annoying when you go to grab a few sheets and the roll spins on leaving a birds nest of paper on the floor.

would put labrador puppies out of a job, but hey, thats business

You can already buy toilet roll holders that do that.

Washing your arm pits

You cannot wash your left pit very well with your left hand and vice versa without breaking some bones

Wouldn't a sponge/cloth on a long handle solve that problem?

Was more looking at what i could restrain with a belt device than opening up new ideas for solving one handed problems but i appreciate all the help people have given thank you.

Associate

Wow, comparing myself with her I'm completely different when it comes to contacts. Only the third finger is what I use to insert lenses (4th finger is a bit weak when I consider it), but she jabs it in with the second finger. As for getting them out; two hands needed, second finger left on the upper eyelid and third finger right on the lower eyelid, then compress down to a squint to pop the contact lens out. However, she just snatches them out straight from her eye.

I have learnt much today.. mainly that a technique I've taken for granted for years has alternatives...

Back
Top Bottom