Thinking about getting a Golf GT

Associate
Well done!!! Your grade based on your ability to speak English and communicate in a way that allows a reasonable percentage of the population in England to understand you, has now improved from an E- to B-

Just a shame you didn't explain why a remap on a 170bhp TDI supposedly causes problems, what those problems might be, or point to any evidence to support what you're saying, given that you've never owned or driven a 140bhp car, a remapped 140bhp, 170bhp car, AND a remapped 170bhp with problems in order to be able to compare them or calculate their comparative fuel enonomy :p

He is though completely correct in what he is saying. Although its more the fact the 170 gives pants results when mapped than problems.

Thats from having owned a 140ps golf for 2 years and driven a 170ps golf on a regular basis. Both remapped.

Maz

Maz

Soldato
It's off topic, but depending on finance, many, including most popular HPA, by law must have get away clause allowing you to return the car and terminate the contract once half the original sum was paid. In 4 in 5 cases it works out cheaper to terminate the contract rather than pay over the depreciation just to sell it for fraction of the price after finance is over...

This is false information, there are no laws that specify that HP agreements must have termination rights.

Whether the customer is given termination right entirely depends on amount of money borrowed and their credit status.

Ie: They will not give you termination rights if you are carrying negative equity forward and trying to borrow £15k for a £10k car, or if you have a habit of missing/late payments.

And I don't know where you get the figure of 80% of agreements are cheaper to terminate than pay :confused:

Sounds to me like you've been speaking to the pub solicitor.

Maz

Maz

Soldato
Actually sorry I'm giving you false information now!

What really happens is if any of the above situations arises (Low credit score, neg eg carried over) then the finance company upon application for HP switches the product to a motor loan (Loan for a car secured on the car).

Basically similiar to HP without termination right and reposession rights.

Soldato
I love these threads. OP says one thing and then everyone who comments says something totally different.

About as useful as a dead cow!

Take my advice, test drive one and if you like it buy it. End of. Dont waste your time on these forums.
This forum does have a rep of being anti-VW and being pro-ford/honda.

Personally i wouldnt buy a ford even with your money.

Soldato
well at 18, I 've driven the following cars:
vauxhall cavalier
vauxhall corsa
peugeot 306 convertible
peugeot 106
rover 25
Citroen c2
Renault clio
vw golf

Yeah well that's hardly a reflection of the norm, is it. I'm 19 and have only driven a 530d, 1.4 Golf and a 1.6 Focus (driving instructor).

To the OP: It is indeed true you could purchase much better cars for that price second hand. However, some people just don't get it. It really is exciting sitting in a brand new car that has been built just for you, where everything is in top condition and where you know you have warranty and servicing behind you if needed.

Some times it's better to go for the latest, for quality and image rather than engine size. Parents offered to get me an old 1.6 Renault but I'd much rather be insured on and drive around in my mum's 1.4 FSI MK5 Golf. It's a bit like buying a computer. Would you rather spend £1000 and get a brand new one that has been built just for you, or would you rather spend £600 and buy a second hand one which isn't quite as good??

Man of Honour
It really is exciting sitting in a brand new car that has been built just for you,

Not when the car is a Golf diesel it isnt. Sure, when your custom built Ferrari or BMW M3 arrives its pretty special. But this is a Golf diesel. It's a tool for getting from A to B whilst doing leet mpgz. And with something like a Golf diesel it probably isnt built just for you at all, it'll come from group stock anyway.

I was lucky enough to do the entire new-car-thing at someone elses cost. The car I had felt, looked, smelled and was exactly the same from Day 1 with 6 miles on it to Day Something with 1300 miles on it. Only it was then worth £3k less.

Soldato
On a personal note. The Golf I mentioned about is now just over 2 years old. Parents ordered it brand new Dec 05. In terms of build quality and reliability it has been incredible and has taken an absolute battering as I learnt to drive in it. As it's only a basic model I can only assume the GT sport will be even better.

Go for the GT. Don't think about what you could have bought. Just enjoy it and reward yourself for all the hard working in saving up for it. I've seen many of these in the flesh and they look absolutely stunning. Much nicer than the GTI or the R32. They don't have the horrible chrome bit of the R32, and the front looks much more aggressive than the GTI.

Man of Honour
Go for the GT. Don't think about what you could have bought.

Isn't this the sort of attitude that will set you up for financial ruin later in life? Are you seriously advocating that somebody spends £18k with no consideration for anything else? Thats just ridiculous.

I've seen many of these in the flesh and they look absolutely stunning. Much nicer than the GTI or the R32.

If you had any credibility when you clicked 'Reply' you don't have any left now :p

Soldato
Once again you're automatically thinking the R32/GTI look better because they have superior engines.

Rubbish. The R32 is ugly from the front because of that horrible grill. The GTI has what, a stupid red line with GTI written on the front? The GT Sport looks much nicer than both of them.

That's not to say I would pick it over them if I had the money. I'd much rather have a GTI edition 30 but I still think the GT sport wins on the looks front.

2070528.001.1M.jpg

%5B46%5D_30-years-of-brand-evolution-vw-golf-gti.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
I own a Golf and I wouldn't pay full retail for a diesel one in fact I never paid retail for the GTI either, assuming you have tried the other cars in a similair class and still want a Golf (I personally in diesel form would take a A3 TDI or 1 Series if you can live with RWD) the trick is get a nice discount. They now come with full heated leather as standard and can be had for 15k ish through brokers etc I personally would add full climate control and highline computer (Xenons aswell probaly) which gives a fair spec for your money . As they are in demand for what ever reason, after 3 years they should still be worth over 10k not a huge amount of cash to lose from owning a new car if you are lucky it will only need serviced once in 3 years of ownership, first service is under £150.

The reason the 170 TDI doesn't remap well is the DPF although you can now get a bypass pipe for it and with this they map to over 200bhp and the mpg is better as it is no longer wasting fuel cleaning the DPF.

Back
Top Bottom