Thinking about wetroom / new bathroom.

Soldato
Hi I'm thinking of renovating my "spare" bathroom beside office.

I will also be chasing out the office floor so I can get an outside tap to the back garden which I currently don't have.

Couple questions
Can you sink a wetroom former into a concrete screed (by chasing out say 30mm across the floor) - what brands do you recommend and normally use?

Do you think if a wetroom was positioned in similar location to existing it would need a shower screen or could it go to the floor? Currently sitting on the toilet side is rather tight (800mm wide tray)

The plan indicated on old drawings isnt quite right as near the door is 700mm which seems too tight for a tray? Else could swap the shower for that side

3w6hWAk.png

Pictures

X5WQzZx.jpeg

WxuW6Bq.jpeg

I still need to repaint in the roof light..
rbc2LKV.jpeg

I had another bathroom thread I completed and some other tiling jobs here :

Last edited:
Soldato
Do you need a separate sink if this isn’t a main bathroom or ensuite. You can get toilets with sinks on top of the cistern. Would free up some space for the shower and toilet positioning.

Soldato
OP
Do you need a separate sink if this isn’t a main bathroom or ensuite. You can get toilets with sinks on top of the cistern. Would free up some space for the shower and toilet positioning.

I think seperate sink is better.

Potentially could reverse the toilet onto the wall the radiators currently on then would have more room for a shower screen, would then need to find space to get the radiator on though

Soldato
OP
I would consider a raised shower former to allow space for waste etc., like the foam ones from Abacus.
Yeah that was the kind of thing I was thinking but wouldn't you want it recessed/sunk into the concrete so the it's level access between the adjacent room?

I suspect I might need to strip the room then get a flavour of what I'm working with /against.. (eg drain levels)

Soldato
OP
Hi, I'm thinking, where do you find all the time to do your projects? You've done about 5 of them whilst I'm still finishing 1 :cry:

Not enough other hobbies
No kids
Don't mind upsetting the wife
Sorts me out for most of them.. :D

Ive certainly slowed down now as most my house is nearly done and I've started a new job. To be fair i started my previous job 2 years ago and I bought this house id hazard a guess at 20+hrs a week diy...)

I think this is a job I can start after summer /when I please really with no real time deadlines as we don't use that shower or need it really, I'd like to get the planning right as currently its not great

Soldato
Room is pretty small, you'll need a screen to stop everything getting wet. Look up screed drains, although if you want it all level with adjacent rooms you'll need to lower the floor, a lot of work for small gains in such a room.

Soldato
OP
Room is pretty small, you'll need a screen to stop everything getting wet. Look up screed drains, although if you want it all level with adjacent rooms you'll need to lower the floor, a lot of work for small gains in such a room.
Yeah I think youll need the section infront of toilet but not sure about round the edges id have thought could just use a wall chaser to chase out 30mm of floor then put a former in it?

Suppose I could just put a long tray in rather than the existing curved tray (which is 1.2m by 800mm)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thinking about breaking out the existing bathroom soon... Any advances on previous thoughts? I'm thinking a long tray is probably a lot easier than a wetroom and can even get some 25mm thick trays?
Eg

Last edited:
Associate
Nothing stopping you using a raised (10mm or so) tray and still tanking the room if you wish! I’ve just installed an impey aquadec- have a look at plumber parts on YouTube. He’s basically my plumbing teacher!

They’re level access - for wooden floor but you can get them for concrete. Main issues will be space available for waste… might end up taking out a lot more. Alternatively just use a nice bullnose threshold into the room if the levels are much different. If you are having it as a wet room - think about the best location for the shower tray with minimal waste run.

Might just be easier in your case to fit a standard raised tray?

Soldato
OP
Anyone cut a shower tray before? Think im just gonna go for a 800 tray cut down to 750 mm

Blue is where shower will be (think I'll just go for a standard mixer bar with say a 900 screen with a flapper panel) red is where I'll put towel rail

Has anyone used 12.5mm backer boards eg marmox / jackoboard on 600mm centred studwork? It looks like from the technical datasheet it should be minimum 20mm thickness but I was wondering if normal plasterboard is stronger then? What Im taking out they've used 12.5mm moisture board then plastered on it :X

YApvtOo.png

88bxaOz.jpeg

y3jQ4Mn.jpeg

Soldato
OP
Associate
Ha! Deffo. I’ve seen some folks use a diamond circular saw blade to cut mineral trays before.. dunno if I’d have the stones! Timber, steel, blocks all day long as they’re cheap!!!

Best of luck though!

Soldato
OP
Anyone know where I can get something like this to connect to a broken bit of solvent weld pipe?

I snapped my solvent welded elbow whilst taking my shower tray out (doh!) and i think to fix it would require drilling out the floor and changing the coupling on the 110mm piece

NxRkOsz.jpeg

Check the state of how this shower was previously fitted :X

nIxlG1a.jpeg

NAl3TzT.jpeg

pB5co7z.jpeg

Last edited:
Associate
To be fair - pretty standard nowadays!! I’ve just bought a soldering torch to try soldering the joints in the new bathroom… I’ve estimated two weeks to do it all… which probably means 7!

Soldato
OP
Done a bit on this (chased a hole in the screed and got a mirror light feed)

Going for just a 700*1500 shower tray.

Has anyone done this to shim up an uneven stud wall? This is so it's flat before tiling. The latter part of the video.

My stud walls are about 8mm out vertically on a 1.8m level!

@200sols

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Anyone recommend any tile cutters eg the below?

Im going to be cutting a lot of 600mm ceramic but don't want it to cause any issues. Happy to pay more for a cutter but unlikely to use it other than this bathroom for a good while..

Previously all my tiling I've use a dry grinder and it takes a while.

Do these tile snappers work with porcelain? They don't need to was just wondering. Intention is to buy ceramic. I was going to buy a load of stuff from protilertools so could go for these

For your time : going to go with same porcelenosa tiles as my other bathroom
oBQ2tfV.jpeg

NlxBy3F.jpeg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Got my taps first fixed and new line to outdoor garden tap. Now I'm wondering if I should get it changed so I have a potential hot feed on the lower line and get a mixer valve eg the below so I have an option of hot outdoor tap in my back garden.

As you can see I got the plumbers to put in a lot of brackets as before there was very little supports!

Would all be done inside the cupboard under the bathroom.

Going to screed over the pipework later today.

mdpgJkL.jpeg

IjsZzMB.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom