Thinking of buy a VW Scirocco

Man of Honour
Possibly looking at buying in the new year when second hand car prices may have settled down a bit.

A bit of background.

I'm not a petrol head, I'm 52 and the only "sporty" car I've owned was a Ford Cougar V6 about 13 years ago. Sort of a divorce present to myself. Since then it's been small city cars (Citroen C1, Peugeot 208, Skoda Citigo) for commuting.

We also have a 2008 Honda Civic 2.2 i-CDTi EX that we use for UK holiday travel and my wife uses it as part of her job as a child minder, to take the children out now and again.

What I like about the Civic is that it's great on fuel when I want, I can easily get 600 miles out of a full tank. But it's also "sporty" enough for me with a 0-60 time of under 8 seconds. It's also well equipped considering its age and is generally an enjoyable car to be in.

I've mainly been looking at R Line and R Line Black edition , 2016-18, diesel automatics under 30000 miles. They appeal on looks, performance, economy and equipment.

My only concern is the potential DPF problems with VAG group diesels that could rear its head.

I'd like to hear opinions or advice either way and if there's anything else I should be considering? Apart from the Audi TT, not a fan of the looks at all.

TLDR;

VW Scirocco R Line 180 ish BHP, diesel, automatic. What are my alternatives up to £20000?

Man of Honour
OP
Yeah, I know the Scirocco is basically a Golf, but in my opinion I the Scirocco is great looking car. Not that I think the Golf doesn't look good too, I just prefer the Scirocco.

Man of Honour
OP
I would go for a bit more speed myself, both 2016 automatics compared :

BMW 1 series 220 BHP

0-62 - 6.3
torque 332 lbs

VW Scirocco 180 BHP

0-62 - 7.5
torque 280 lbs
I'll have a look, but not really a fan of the BMW 1

Have you driven one yet? Might be the best idea for the next step.

Get the feeling you're about 90% decided already :D

I plan on doing just that shortly. Far from 90%, in fact I'd prefer to be talked out of spending £20k altogether.

Maybe the 8-9k suggested spend would be better.

But still open to suggestions that fit what I want. Or think I want.

Man of Honour
OP
If a car is less common on the road, then it will be because of one or more of the following reasons:

a) It is expensive to buy
b) It is expensive to own
c) It is impractical or otherwise limited in its general appeal (Often a consequence of a and b)
d) It is rubbish
e) It is a rare limited edition.

Given you are looking to purchase something that is basically a mass produced, mass market car, this rules out a, b and most of c).

Therefore, cars that are £20k, do 45-50mpg but are really rare are rare because they are rubbish cars.

If a car did 45-50mpg, looked fantastic and was really great, it would have sold lots of units. Which is why cars like the Golf are everywhere. Because they are good. And cars like the Scirocco are not. Because they are rubbish*.

*The Scirocco was ok in 2008. Because it was effectively a different looking version of the then current Golf. But that was 2008, which was a very long time ago.

Look at what I currently drive :)

Man of Honour
OP
No, but that's even more of a reason to listen to other peoples advice as your frame of reference is very different.

I'm very happy to listen and learn.

All the while I've been looking at the Scirocco, it's been in the back of my mind that it's based on an older Golf platform. That's probably been the only thing that's held me back from making a purchase, that and the second hand car market is nuts at the minute.

Man of Honour
OP
Man of Honour
OP
Peugeot RCZ? Ended production in 2015 but is a bit different, the 200bhp 1.6 petrol is probably worth a look (claimed mpg of 42 - although a diesel does exist too if the petrol is too thirsty).

Not something i'd spend £20k on though, i'd be expecting to pick one up a good bit cheaper than that.

The Scirroco does occupy a bit of a niche market, which is probably how VW got away with selling a 2004 platform car for so long - nobody else really makes a 'Golf in a dress' type car - something that's as good at being 'a car' as a Golf is but looks different and isn't as common.

Looks a bit too much like an Audi TT, which I don't like.

I'd take the advice of others in the thread and maybe look at a golf gtd

It's certainly looking like a better option and I probably knew that all along.

Honestly golf in a pretty frock is a TT not a scirocco

The negative with the TT in that comparison is its a 2+2 really. And the +2 need to be really small

It uses the same platform as many of the VW group cars, including the Golf MK7
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Group_MQB_platform

They also did a 2.0TDi lump for a while if you need diesel

Audi TT isn't for me, which I did say in my original post.

How many miles are you doing that forces the requirement to be Diesel?

With a 20k budget and a preference to VW, then a Golf GTE is probably as good an option as any

Probably around 10-12k a year.

Diesel isn't set in stone. But a 2.0 litre diesel seems to be the best compromise between economy and performance for my needs.

I looked at them back when they were in production and could couldn't justify the compromises over the golf - they are pretty much the same dimensions but with much less internal space and no noticeable weight gains or handing improvements, all form over function & once your actually driving it you just get worse visibility and a very slightly different bonnet.

If you want something fun just get an mx-5 and be done with it - 20k will get you a very decent example and it'll be so much better to drive :)

If my wife's child transportation needs weren't a consideration, then that's the sort car I'd be looking at.

Man of Honour
OP
Ok guys.

Sensible pills have been taken and the Scirocco is off the table.

As has been stated it's based on the Mk5 Golf and for £20k I can buy a Mk7 Golf 1.5 TSI petrol, enjoy similar performance and economy to a Scirocco 2.0 litre diesel. It would also be more practical for my wife's occasional child transportation needs. I could probably get a 2020 Golf with a warranty for the same money.

What else does 17-20k buy me in the 8 seconds 0-60, 35-45 mpg, 4-5 seats and decent equipment inside and out.

Man of Honour
OP
After looking at the Jaguar XE recommendation, I started looking at Mercedes C class and BMW 3 series. You can certainly get a lot of car for £20k, especially when you compare to similarly priced Golfs they may just be a few years younger at best.

Man of Honour
OP
Nothing illustrates how silly the car market is more than it being difficult to buy a 4 year old Golf for £20,000.

Which is why after someone suggested the Jaguar XE, which ticked most, if not all of the boxes. I then started looking a Mercedes C Class, BMW 3 Series and Audi A4's as well. All of which seem to make more sense than a Golf or a Scirrocco.

Either way I'm not doing anything until the new year at least and if the secondhand market is still mental, then I think I'll keep my money.

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice.

Man of Honour
OP
any news OP ?

As I said in my OP, it'll be the new year before I do anything because prices at the minute are just insane.

But if things settle back down to some sort of normal then it's looking more like Jaguar XE, Mercedes C class, BMW 3 series. These seem to be better value for 20k than a Golf or a late model Scirocco.

Back
Top Bottom