Thinking of buy a VW Scirocco

Man of Honour
Possibly looking at buying in the new year when second hand car prices may have settled down a bit.

A bit of background.

I'm not a petrol head, I'm 52 and the only "sporty" car I've owned was a Ford Cougar V6 about 13 years ago. Sort of a divorce present to myself. Since then it's been small city cars (Citroen C1, Peugeot 208, Skoda Citigo) for commuting.

We also have a 2008 Honda Civic 2.2 i-CDTi EX that we use for UK holiday travel and my wife uses it as part of her job as a child minder, to take the children out now and again.

What I like about the Civic is that it's great on fuel when I want, I can easily get 600 miles out of a full tank. But it's also "sporty" enough for me with a 0-60 time of under 8 seconds. It's also well equipped considering its age and is generally an enjoyable car to be in.

I've mainly been looking at R Line and R Line Black edition , 2016-18, diesel automatics under 30000 miles. They appeal on looks, performance, economy and equipment.

My only concern is the potential DPF problems with VAG group diesels that could rear its head.

I'd like to hear opinions or advice either way and if there's anything else I should be considering? Apart from the Audi TT, not a fan of the looks at all.

TLDR;

VW Scirocco R Line 180 ish BHP, diesel, automatic. What are my alternatives up to £20000?

Soldato
These are ancient. They're based on the same platform as the mk5 Golf which was released in 2004! With the budget you have, I can't think of a single good reason to get one of these over a Golf of the same age or newer, which will be two generations newer, and better in pretty much every way. To spend £16k-odd on one would be sheer madness.

Man of Honour
VW Scirocco R Line 180 ish BHP, diesel, automatic. What are my alternatives up to £20000?

Anything else including the bus. I can't think of a worse car for 20k than one of these.

A Mk7 Golf is far better and basically the same thing but much more modern so you could get one of those.

The Audi TT is also much better too, provided it's a 2015 onwards.

Soldato
Such as?

Just looked at Golf 2.0 TDI GTD 2016-2018 and while I appreciate it's based on a newer platform, they are more expensive and it's just a Golf at the end of the day.

The Scirocco is just a Golf too, except it's two generations old in a pretty dress.

The interior is virtually no different to the 2004 Golf, it's amazing VW got away with selling these for so long.

Soldato
Such as?

Just looked at Golf 2.0 TDI GTD 2016-2018 and while I appreciate it's based on a newer platform, they are more expensive and it's just a Golf at the end of the day.

SEAT Leon? The new one isn't available in a 3dr but the previous generation is. It's more modern than the Scirocco and they're usually better-specced than the equivalent Golfs etc too.

Wouldn't be getting a diesel hatchback though, whatever you happen to choose.

Man of Honour
OP
Yeah, I know the Scirocco is basically a Golf, but in my opinion I the Scirocco is great looking car. Not that I think the Golf doesn't look good too, I just prefer the Scirocco.

Soldato
Yeah, I know the Scirocco is basically a Golf, but in my opinion I the Scirocco is great looking car. Not that I think the Golf doesn't look good too, I just prefer the Scirocco.
I agree it is a great looking car but it is certainly mutton dressed as lamb. It is an astounding amount of dollar for what is a 16 year old platform. 16 years!

Soldato
Have you driven one yet? Might be the best idea for the next step.

Get the feeling you're about 90% decided already :D

Soldato
I would go for a bit more speed myself, both 2016 automatics compared :

BMW 1 series 220 BHP

0-62 - 6.3
torque 332 lbs

VW Scirocco 180 BHP

0-62 - 7.5
torque 280 lbs

Man of Honour
I'll rephrase the question.

0-60 8 seconds or less, 45-60 MPG, £20k top end budget, something less common on the road.

If a car is less common on the road, then it will be because of one or more of the following reasons:

a) It is expensive to buy
b) It is expensive to own
c) It is impractical or otherwise limited in its general appeal (Often a consequence of a and b)
d) It is rubbish
e) It is a rare limited edition.

Given you are looking to purchase something that is basically a mass produced, mass market car, this rules out a, b and most of c).

Therefore, cars that are £20k, do 45-50mpg but are really rare are rare because they are rubbish cars.

If a car did 45-50mpg, looked fantastic and was really great, it would have sold lots of units. Which is why cars like the Golf are everywhere. Because they are good. And cars like the Scirocco are not. Because they are rubbish*.

*The Scirocco was ok in 2008. Because it was effectively a different looking version of the then current Golf. But that was 2008, which was a very long time ago.

Back
Top Bottom