I would go for a bit more speed myself, both 2016 automatics compared :

BMW 1 series 220 BHP

0-62 - 6.3
torque 332 lbs

VW Scirocco 180 BHP

0-62 - 7.5
torque 280 lbs
I'll have a look, but not really a fan of the BMW 1

Have you driven one yet? Might be the best idea for the next step.

Get the feeling you're about 90% decided already :D

I plan on doing just that shortly. Far from 90%, in fact I'd prefer to be talked out of spending £20k altogether.

Maybe the 8-9k suggested spend would be better.

But still open to suggestions that fit what I want. Or think I want.

Man of Honour
OP
If a car is less common on the road, then it will be because of one or more of the following reasons:

a) It is expensive to buy
b) It is expensive to own
c) It is impractical or otherwise limited in its general appeal (Often a consequence of a and b)
d) It is rubbish
e) It is a rare limited edition.

Given you are looking to purchase something that is basically a mass produced, mass market car, this rules out a, b and most of c).

Therefore, cars that are £20k, do 45-50mpg but are really rare are rare because they are rubbish cars.

If a car did 45-50mpg, looked fantastic and was really great, it would have sold lots of units. Which is why cars like the Golf are everywhere. Because they are good. And cars like the Scirocco are not. Because they are rubbish*.

*The Scirocco was ok in 2008. Because it was effectively a different looking version of the then current Golf. But that was 2008, which was a very long time ago.

Look at what I currently drive :)

Man of Honour
OP
No, but that's even more of a reason to listen to other peoples advice as your frame of reference is very different.

I'm very happy to listen and learn.

All the while I've been looking at the Scirocco, it's been in the back of my mind that it's based on an older Golf platform. That's probably been the only thing that's held me back from making a purchase, that and the second hand car market is nuts at the minute.

Caporegime
Although I LOVE my C30, I would not be getting one without knowing it's full history as they are getting on a bit now, it's at an age where things needs replacing and things can go wrong.

In the past 2 years, I've had to have the windscreen reseal, as it is a common fault. It's not expensive, even a new Windscreen is only £160 + VAT fitted. But the damage the water can do can be extensive if not caught early as the water will be collected on the floor where all the cables run. It cost me £700 in labour for the garage to strip out, dried and refit and replace mouldy sound insulation.

I've also had the timing belt and water pump done, the front bushing and arm replaced.

All these will need to be done around now if not soon, especially the timing belt, plus, if you are getting a petrol, only the T5 really is worth getting and it's NOT economical.

Personally, for £20k, I would look at a Audi TT or BMW 135i/140i.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Soldato
I'll rephrase the question.

0-60 8 seconds or less, 45-60 MPG, £20k top end budget, something less common on the road.

Peugeot RCZ? Ended production in 2015 but is a bit different, the 200bhp 1.6 petrol is probably worth a look (claimed mpg of 42 - although a diesel does exist too if the petrol is too thirsty).

Not something i'd spend £20k on though, i'd be expecting to pick one up a good bit cheaper than that.

The Scirroco does occupy a bit of a niche market, which is probably how VW got away with selling a 2004 platform car for so long - nobody else really makes a 'Golf in a dress' type car - something that's as good at being 'a car' as a Golf is but looks different and isn't as common.

Man of Honour
I looked at them back when they were in production and could couldn't justify the compromises over the golf - they are pretty much the same dimensions but with much less internal space and no noticeable weight gains or handing improvements, all form over function & once your actually driving it you just get worse visibility and a very slightly different bonnet.

If you want something fun just get an mx-5 and be done with it - 20k will get you a very decent example and it'll be so much better to drive :)

Back
Top Bottom