Thinking of getting an EV

The opening is small but it’s deep. Sure you can’t fit a fridge in it, but the boot is large.

What are you actually carrying?

I bought a fridge for an ex girlfriend once, and picked it up from Currys in my Honda accord estate.

I moved house in.2022, and I did the whole move in a Mondeo estate. The fridge freezer went in, the washing machine went in. Furniture went in including a 3 seater sofa (dismantled).

I carry a mountain bike a couple times a year, sometimes two. I carry scuba gear a couple times a year, for two people. I carry a tent, outdoor gear and a BBQ, with a dog on the back seat. I go to Wickes and buy lengths of 2x4 or 10 bags of sand and cement. A couple months ago I bought 100 imperial bricks on Facebook and picked them up in my BMW. It's not my fault that other people do nothing and just take kids to school. I actually use my car.

How old are you?

I'm.44. I want to try and maximise my pension of course, for the future. Only just bought a house in 2022, pay child maintenance which takes a chunk out of my net salary too. Life is crap and my old car just adds to it.

size you want, how about something like this:

A van as a second car would probably be a good idea for me tbh, but I'm not commuting 50 miles a day 3 days a week in a van as my main car.

We glancing over 2x2 trips a year with bikes or BBQ gear and hauling some bricks once in 44 years as "using their car"? OK then, :D

Ladies and gentlemen, I put to you a perfect example of gatekeeping :p

Regardless of how often they are, it's still usage which would be impossible/necessitate hiring a suitable vehicle if one wasn't available

Then maybe you should look at buying one of these?

My god it's like talking to a brick wall. Don't you understand that used car costs are stupidly high, and that if I buy a car like this I'm in for a £15-20k loan with no saving on fuel or likely maintenance costs? So +£300 a month on current costs.

How much is your monthly motoring cost and what car do you have?

We glancing over 2x2 trips a year with bikes or BBQ gear and hauling some bricks once in 44 years as "using their car"? OK then, :D

Don't take the ****. You're a big DIYer you should appreciate the flexibility a big car provides. I do regularly use the space as I've said above.

Don't take the ****. You're a big DIYer you should appreciate the flexibility a big car provides. I do regularly use the space as I've said above.
I do all my DIY in my wifes Ibiza or e2008 so don't see your point at all TBH. I'm not even sure what you are after anymore.

I do all my DIY in my wifes Ibiza or e2008 so don't see your point at all TBH. I'm not even sure what you are after anymore.

A car I don't have to worry is too small to fit my bike in, my camping gear in, my scuba gear in, a bit of furniture or a kitchen appliance in when I need to. It's not complicated.

Do you think £400 a month isn't enough to run a reliable decent sized car these days?

Last edited:
It's not complicated.
How are you 269 posts in then? Get a loan and buy what you want. Or do some absolutely ludicrous maths and justify a BRAND NEW EV with zero deposit.

It is a bit bonkers to expect a brand new car to cost less than one you own out right, irrespective of fuel, "maintenance" or whatever else.

How are you 269 posts in then? Get a loan and buy what you want. Or do some absolutely ludicrous maths and justify a BRAND NEW EV with zero deposit.

It is a bit bonkers to expect a brand new car to cost less than one you own out right, irrespective of fuel, "maintenance" or whatever else.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect to save £160 a month in fuel, £150 a month in tax, and still not be able to get a new car? I'd give way if it was another ICE, obviously the car cost is on top of fuel then.

Who is affording aby of these cars if the net cost is still £700 a month? I have a good salary, how is anyone affording this on median salary?

Do you think£400 a month can't run a reasonable car these days? Is that the fundamental issue?

Last edited:
My god it's like talking to a brick wall. Don't you understand that used car costs are stupidly high, and that if I buy a car like this I'm in for a £15-20k loan with no saving on fuel or likely maintenance costs? So +£300 a month on current costs.

How much is your monthly motoring cost and what car do you have?
Easy tiger. You're getting those knickers in a twist because ultimately it seems you want a moon on a stick.

You're currently driving a shed that you think will go bang and want to change it. Great, we get that. At no point did I say you should go and spend £15-20k on a Mondeo Estate, there are plenty of cars out there that are cheaper than this that are unlikely to go bang. I merely suggested the Mondeo because it seems to be the car YOU suggested actually fits your requirements. What you want to spend and what you have as your absolute requirements clearly don't match. You want a Mondeo Estate-style electric car for peanuts.

We have two cars in our household:
2022 Tesla Model Y LR. Monthly cost approx £120 including charging it. You can add a little bit to that for next year when we start paying VED.
2019 Land Rover Discovery 5. Monthly cost approx £450. Includes fuel, tax and extended warranty plus servicing.

EDIT: should say both obviously factor in insurance cost. Consumables I haven't included as those are as-and-when.

Last edited:
I don't think it's unreasonable to expect to save £160 a month in fuel, £150 a month in tax, and still not be able to get a new car? I'd give way if it was another ICE, obviously the car cost is on top of fuel then.

Who is affording aby of these cars if the net cost is still £700 a month? I have a good salary, how is anyone affording this on median salary?

Do you think£400 a month can't run a reasonable car these days? Is that the fundamental issue?
It is a brand new car worth real money - not pretend cash. You are paying nil deposit. In what world is a brand new car £400 odd quid a month with no deposit?

The fundamental issue is you don't seem to understand how money works. Are you the chap who kept halving interest rates on regular savers?

It is a brand new car worth real money - not pretend cash. You are paying nil deposit. In what world is a brand new car £400 odd quid a month with no deposit?

The fundamental issue is you don't seem to understand how money works. Are you the chap who kept halving interest rates on regular savers?

So how is anyone affording cars on median salary then?

We have two cars in our household:
2022 Tesla Model Y LR. Monthly cost approx £120 including charging it. You can add a little bit to that for next year when we start paying VED.
2019 Land Rover Discovery 5. Monthly cost approx £450. Includes fuel and extended warranty.

I'm sorry but that's impossible. Is the Tesla a company car, if so what would be the cost of ownership if it was funded by you? How did you get a discovery 5 including fuel for 450 a month unless you do zero miles.

So how is anyone affording cars on median salary then?

They aren't buying brand new cars.

They are buying 10 year old cars and sticking money aside for when they go *bang*

We own both cars, simple as that.

They still "cost" depreciation - it's just that you paid that when you bought them (unless you were gifted them or stole them).

Last edited:
I bought a fridge for an ex girlfriend once, and picked it up from Currys in my Honda accord estate.

I moved house in.2022, and I did the whole move in a Mondeo estate. The fridge freezer went in, the washing machine went in. Furniture went in including a 3 seater sofa (dismantled).

I carry a mountain bike a couple times a year, sometimes two. I carry scuba gear a couple times a year, for two people. I carry a tent, outdoor gear and a BBQ, with a dog on the back seat. I go to Wickes and buy lengths of 2x4 or 10 bags of sand and cement. A couple months ago I bought 100 imperial bricks on Facebook and picked them up in my BMW. It's not my fault that other people do nothing and just take kids to school. I actually use my car.

Bar a fridge or washing machine, all of that will go in a model 3 and the seats fold flat. Not at the same time mind but your post doesn’t seem to suggest that.

2.4m lengths of material are no problem. Payload is the main limiting factor when it comes to bags of sand/cement.

Bikes? Use a roof rack.

Moving house? use a man with a van, life is to short to be doing that yourself.

Your boot requirements don’t actually seem that high, nothing too crazy anyway.

They aren't buying brand new cars.

They are buying 10 year old cars and sticking money aside for when they go *bang*

This basically.

Edit: they also don’t expect to be driving round in premium cars either.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom