Thinking of getting an EV

Associate
They still "cost" depreciation - it's just that you paid that when you bought them
He asked for my monthly costs.

They aren't 'costing' depreciation until I sell them, which at that point I'll have been better off compared to a PCP, lease or a loan. Got out of the PCP/lease rat race after the impossibly cheap rates all dried up. For us it's a case of saving (and getting interest on those savings) and if I need to change the car the cash is there to do it.

Soldato
He asked for my monthly costs.

They aren't 'costing' depreciation until I sell them, which at that point I'll have been better off compared to a PCP, lease or a loan. Got out of the PCP/lease rat race after the impossibly cheap rates all dried up. For us it's a case of saving (and getting interest on those savings) and if I need to change the car the cash is there to do it.

Then they're "costing" whatever you put aside to save for them. They still cost something, whether that's a big one-off cost to buy outright, or loan payment, PCP, whatever.

Last edited:
Soldato
Then they're "costing" whatever you put aside to save for them. They still cost something, whether that's a big one-off cost to buy outright, or loan payment, PCP, whatever.
OP has stated a few times they are only bothered by monthlies, so I don't think he is being disingenuous.

Associate
I think it's safe to assume the OP hasn't got £20-30k burning a hole in a savings account for a car, otherwise he wouldn't have made the thread
Agreed. All that extra money has gone into his pension pot. Which of course I’m not saying is the wrong thing to do, just a different approach to what I’ve taken.

If having a newer, more reliable car is really that important to the OP then maybe it’s time to consider lowering that pension contribution and having a bit more to play with in term of monthlies.

Soldato
Agreed. All that extra money has gone into his pension pot. Which of course I’m not saying is the wrong thing to do, just a different approach to what I’ve taken.
Exactly, this thread alone shows a lot of life choices that are soaking up cash;

Pension overpayment
Mountain biking
Scuba diving
Camping
Child maintenance
Owning a pet (assuming the dog is his)

OP has also relatively recently bought a house.

The complaining about how it's "crap" that he can't afford a new car is kind of ironic in context when you factor in that he's on an above average salary.

I go too far the other way with being frugal with money but in his shoes I'd back off the non essentials for 6 months, bank the cash and have it as a buffer to reduce the risk of my "risky car getting riskier by the day". Once the "risk factor" is a static amount rather than budgeted monthly you can start to A) take a more logical look at the monthly costs and B) have a bit of cash to use as a deposit if you still decide to go that route.

Soldato
OP
Mountain biking
Scuba diving
Camping

I don't spend much on these things. All the equipment is already bought going back a number of years. Go camping a couple times a year, less than I used to since I bought the house. But still need the space for the gear.

Pension overpayment

Yes this was done on purpose so that I didn't pay any 40% tax. I thought that was a good thing to do, and by doing it I have self limited my pay increases and monthly budget. It has only been the past 3 years or so that I've crept into that band.

Child maintenance

Yes unfortunately my marriage didn't work out, my ex wife was abusive and I no longer see my kids. Clearly wish I could turn the clock back but I can't. So this does take a considerable chunk out of my salary every month. It has taken many years to recover financially from this.

OP has also relatively recently bought a house

The reason I'm late in life to this is because of the above mentioned divorce.

The complaining about how it's "crap" that he can't afford a new car is kind of ironic in context when you factor in that he's on an above average salary.

I go too far the other way with being frugal with money but in his shoes I'd back off the non essentials for 6 months, bank the cash

There isn't much spare I'm afraid. The spending on the above activities really is minimal, I don't have much to cut back on already. I already do the switcheroo on various bills to keep them down etc. I've been spending a lot on working on the house I bought.

If having a newer, more reliable car is really that important to the OP then maybe it’s time to consider lowering that pension contribution and having a bit more to play with in term of monthlies.

Yes I could do this. I'm a bit loathed to though because obviously it's a good thing to be putting more into my pension fund.

I think fundamentally I'm just shocked at the prices, new, lease, used, whatever. I don't see how people can afford them on normal salaries and so I assumed I must have been missing something.

Even a 10 year old car is £10k now, as we've discussed many times, and the used market is terribly overpriced. So that's £200 a month in loan, plus insurance servicing maintenance and all that. Then fuel on top. Even a 10 year old car, bought with a loan, plus all those other costs is going to be £600 a month expenditure.

Last edited:
Soldato
Even a 10 year old car is £10k now, as we've discussed many times, and the used market is terribly overpriced. So that's £200 a month in loan, plus insurance servicing maintenance and all that. Then fuel on top. Even a 10 year old car, bought with a loan, plus all those other costs is going to be £600 a month expenditure.
Your baseline is all wrong, and how you are interpreting the numbers is all wrong.

In summary, you want to have a BRAND NEW car with nil deposit, for less overall costs than your current vehicle that you own outright. This even includes FUEL.

In no universe is that a normal barometer; so the fact you are getting CLOSE is pretty outstanding (in part thanks to sal sac).

Nobody generally expects to be "better off" whilst also acquiring a £30k car in the process.

Soldato
OP
Your baseline is all wrong, and how you are interpreting the numbers is all wrong.

In summary, you want to have a BRAND NEW car with nil deposit, for less overall costs than your current vehicle that you own outright. This even includes FUEL.

In no universe is that a normal barometer; so the fact you are getting CLOSE is pretty outstanding (in part thanks to sal sac).

Nobody generally expects to be "better off" whilst also acquiring a £30k car in the process.

Because I thought the fuel saving from going EV, and the maintenance saving, and the sal sac saving - all would offset the cost. Those three things we're talking £400 worth of funding from! Isn't it crazy that even with those things contributing I still can't get even a mid range new car?

Whenever I've looked at switching cars before, getting a loan or even the salary sac scheme but for a petrol or diesel car, the fuel costs never changed so the car cost was always on top of. Obviously that's normal and I expected that. But this time with saving the fuel I thought it would be different.

I really don't like wasting money. The last car I bought with a loan was in 2006 a 3 years old Mondeo diesel hatchback which I then kept for 9 years. After that I only bought £1500-£3k cars.

Last edited:
Soldato
Because I thought the fuel saving from going EV would offset the cost.
That is very wishful thinking than you can offset the cost of a BRAND NEW CAR with lower fuel bills. Do you not think the entire world would have an EV if it was that simple?

You understand a brand new £30k EV will depreciate to ~£16k over 3 years, say? So before any bells and whistles like insurance, tax, tyres, etc are thrown in, you are already having to cover £444.44 a month in just depreciation (assuming the lease companies finance at 0% which they won't) - no matter how much mental gymnastics/man maths you perform.

Your assumption on the outset ignored the basic mechanics of the maths involved.

Salary sacrifice can be the cheapest or most expensive way into a brand new car. On your salary/pension contributions as a single person, I would avoid like the plague. Get yourself into a nice £13k car with a bank loan and accept the reality of the situation.

Edit: eg. https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-de...eries&postcode=sw1a2aa&year-from=2020&fromsra

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
You understand a brand new £30k EV will depreciate to ~£16k over 3 years, say? So before any bells and whistles like insurance, tax, tyres, etc are thrown in, you are already having to cover £444.44 a month in just depreciation (assuming the lease companies finance at 0% which they won't) - no matter how much mental gymnastics/man maths you perform.

Your assumption on the outset ignored the basic mechanics of the maths involved.

Salary sacrifice can be the cheapest or most expensive way into a brand new car. On your salary/pension contributions as a single person, I would avoid like the plague. Get yourself into a nice £13k car with a bank loan and accept the reality of the situation.

Thanks.

However, if you are right (which you are) then where are all the 3 year old £16k cars?

If I search on AT for estate, auto, newer than 2020, upto £17k, less than 40k miles. There are only 206 cars meeting that criteria.

There are 66 MG5 EVs in this!

The rest are pretty poor, small estates with no performance.

So whilst I agree with your points fully in principle, if you go to the market the cars aren't there.

Soldato
I don't spend much on these things. All the equipment is already bought going back a number of years. Go camping a couple times a year, less than I used to since I bought the house. But still need the space for the gear.

Yes this was done on purpose so that I didn't pay any 40% tax. I thought that was a good thing to do, and by doing it I have self limited my pay increases and monthly budget. It has only been the past 3 years or so that I've crept into that band.

Yes unfortunately my marriage didn't work out, my ex wife was abusive and I no longer see my kids. Clearly wish I could turn the clock back but I can't. So this does take a considerable chunk out of my salary every month. It has taken many years to recover financially from this.

The reason I'm late in life to this is because of the above mentioned divorce.

There isn't much spare I'm afraid. The spending on the above activities really is minimal, I don't have much to cut back on already. I already do the switcheroo on various bills to keep them down etc. I've been spending a lot on working on the house I bought.

Yes I could do this. I'm a bit loathed to though because obviously it's a good thing to be putting more into my pension fund.

I think fundamentally I'm just shocked at the prices, new, lease, used, whatever. I don't see how people can afford them on normal salaries and so I assumed I must have been missing something.

clearly you spend your money on what you want, it is your call and everyone is different. Sorry about your family issues, it sucks, i have been through some of that myself - albeit without the kid - and it wasnt pleasant.

that said, there is a halfway house between a brand new car and a high milage old banger which isnt reliable.

i havent looked and i cant as am meant to be working! but i am pretty sure you will be able to get a lets say 5- 7 year old low mileage car which ticks most of your boxes for well under £10k. still not nothing, but a lot cheaper than a brand new car and, whilst there is always a risk, but running costs should be ok as well.

you already mentiond a mondeo, but how about a skoda, or mazda 6 estate?

btw i fit a fridge freezer in a 1.4 pug 306 (the original 1993 one) once.. it was a squeeze, and i think i had to bungie tie the boot down, but it was possible.

I love EVs, they are the future, I am convinced of it, however whilst there are affordable cars now 2nd hand for most people, some segments are still possibly lacking, and affordable large estates i guess is one of them.

the battery in an EV is generally quite large at the moment if you want a big car with long range, so i guess that will have an effect on price and possibly boot space. for now maybe an ICE is best for you and then you can look to go electric in your next car 5-10 years from now.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks.

However, if you are right (which you are) then where are all the 3 year old £16k cars?

If I search on AT for estate, auto, newer than 2020, upto £17k, less than 40k miles. There are only 206 cars meeting that criteria.

There are 66 MG5 EVs in this!

The rest are pretty poor, small estates with no performance.

So whilst I agree with your points fully in principle, if you go to the market the cars aren't there.
£16k is the depreciation to you and was just an illustrative example. The company reselling the car will want to make some margin on that; they will have costs to collect, prepare, service, etc the car.

There are 124 Peugeot E2008's under £16k with less than 30k miles.

The estate body type isn't particular popular compared to saloons, crossovers or SUVs. However if I search up to 30k, less than £16k, and estate body type I am getting 365 results.

E.g.

---

You are behaving like a bit of a lost cause tbh.

Man of Honour
What ICE should I buy that saves on insurance and mpg and keeps my total cost under £500 a month with limited repair risk? It can't be done.

Why can't it be done?

There are 13,000 cars on Autotrader with less than 60,000 miles, newer than 2018, for between £8500 and £11000.

Many of these will be reliable and fuel efficient, far more so than a 2005 BMW 325i.

You're driving a large engined, old premium car that costs you a load of money to keep on the road because it was never designed or built for cheap motoring even when it was new and now it's very much not new. To then argue that every other car for sale will cost the same or more to run just isn't true if you're discounting depreciation.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
£16k is the depreciation to you and was just an illustrative example. The company reselling the car will want to make some margin on that; they will have costs to collect, prepare, service, etc the car.

There are 124 Peugeot E2008's under £16k with less than 30k miles.

The estate body type isn't particular popular compared to saloons, crossovers or SUVs. However if I search up to 30k, less than £16k, and estate body type I am getting 365 results.

E.g.

---

You are behaving like a bit of a lost cause tbh.

Only one of those cars is an automatic (the Corolla) and its an import.

Look at the rest. A 1.2 litre engine, and three 1.5's.

There is no way I would want to spend £14k on those cars. I wouldn't buy them new and I don't want to buy them used.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I think it's time to just accept you're not going to get what you want/expect to be able to get in the exact spec you need without it costing more than you want and that's just the state of the market these days.

Back
Top Bottom