Thinking of getting an EV

Soldato
Under the SS scheme wouldn't you have included EU vehicle recovery&spare .. aa/rac want an arm&leg £150+, maybe some reductions with some banks
e: or does an MG warranty, say, throw that in.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Under the SS scheme wouldn't you have included EU vehicle recovery&spare .. aa/rac want an arm&leg £150+, maybe some reductions with some banks
e: or does an MG warranty, say, throw that in.
No one pays full price for AA/RAC and if you look around outside of those two you can get breakdown cover for almost pennies a year after cashback.

Soldato
OP
No one pays full price for AA/RAC and if you look around outside of those two you can get breakdown cover for almost pennies a year after cashback.
Its a bit variable Ive found. Some years the cashback is good and I can get it for nearly nothing, other times its not as good and the offer I get when I call up to cancel is nearly as good.

Soldato
OP
Here's a car for £15k, originally list at £14,950, so £12k loan once you sell your current vehicle. Doubt £3k more is worth it for something 6 months newer when the warranty is so long.
I saw that one. Consider that the MG warranty is only up to 80k miles though, and that car is already on 42k miles in a year, so its had a lot of use. If I am buying I would want lower miles so would have to go up to c.£18-19k.

Soldato
I saw that one. Consider that the MG warranty is only up to 80k miles though, and that car is already on 42k miles in a year, so its had a lot of use. If I am buying I would want lower miles so would have to go up to c.£18-19k.
your money, your choice for 42k miles on an EV is nothing imo (but then i would say that, my car had 42.5k on it when i bought it)

Soldato
OP
your money, your choice for 42k miles on an EV is nothing imo (but then i would say that, my car had 42.5k on it when i bought it)
It may be, all im saying is that in 3 years I'll have reached that 80k miles level and be out of warranty with 2 years still to run on my loan. On that basis I think its worth more for lower miles so I get the MG warranty for the full 5 years of my loan period.

Soldato
OP
What do you think about either the loan option or the salary sac option regarding impacts on mortgage renewal in mid-2027? If I stick with the same company I don't think they will look at either, but if I move, they will. I wonder if the loan will be seen as a higher liability than the sal sac? (Its also a higher monthly amount).

Associate
Caporegime
Blown away by reliability ? Because a low power car is ok after a few years ? That’s mind blowing??

Maybe he’s confused with durability ?

Last edited:
Soldato

James and Kate (think James works for Cleevely) have raved about how reliable their m5 is and he has worked on a lot of evs and recently did a model s buyers video where he also mentioned how good the mg5 was in terms of build quality and reliability.

Yeah I know James, he's a sound guy. Cleevely do our services as well, much cheaper than dealer, but keep the warranty, which is a bonus.

Soldato
Yeah I know James, he's a sound guy. Cleevely do our services as well, much cheaper than dealer, but keep the warranty, which is a bonus.
i am proper jealous that there is no EV garage with their reputation near to me. We do have a HEVRA garage near me and they seem decent.... its the 1st thing i looked into before buying our EVs, but at the moment they do not have anthing like the experience of cleevely so i would not expect them to be as efficient diagnosing issues with my cars.

I even looked into sodding it and taking my car there anyway despite the road trip, but they are so snowed under servicing the cars they sell themselves that i could not get booked in without a huge wait.
the good news is one would think within a few years there would be a "Cleevely" or 2 near every major town in the uk as more and more mechanics train on them.

Last edited:
Associate
i am proper jealous that there is no EV garage with their reputation near to me. We do have a HEVRA garage near me and they seem decent.... its the 1st thing i looked into before buying our EVs, but at the moment they do not have anthing like the experience of cleevely so i would not expect them to be as efficient diagnosing issues with my cars.

I even looked into sodding it and taking my car there anyway despite the road trip, but they are so snowed under servicing the cars they sell themselves that i could not get booked in without a huge wait.
the good news is one would think within a few years there would be a "Cleevely" or 2 near every major town in the uk as more and more mechanics train on them.
Where you based? I didn’t think there was one near me (Teesside) but my local Tesla fb group told me off a good one which sorted me out.

Soldato
OP
@dlockers i was just considering the loan option again some more. Obviously the loan option (£18-19k over 5 years) would include interest as well. The interest on that loan is around £3k. So the £18k car actually costs me £21k. Obviously that's built into the payments, but if considering residual value, should I be deducting the interest paid from the figures as that is dead money as per the lease as well?

Soldato
Where you based? I didn’t think there was one near me (Teesside) but my local Tesla fb group told me off a good one which sorted me out.
just south east of Cambridge. I plan to take my car to the place below. they have a decent rep but i spoke with them and, for instance, they said they would happily do any work on our bmw i3 but they had not worked on one yet - which suprised me as i see a few of them knocking about near me.

they have done work on the ipace however!.

They are a general garage but are a member of HEVRA

Last edited:
Soldato
@dlockers i was just considering the loan option again some more. Obviously the loan option (£18-19k over 5 years) would include interest as well. The interest on that loan is around £3k. So the £18k car actually costs me £21k. Obviously that's built into the payments, but if considering residual value, should I be deducting the interest paid from the figures as that is dead money as per the lease as well?

You also need to consider you can easily refinance the loan if/when interest rates drop. If you are taking a 5 year loan for £18k then you'll likely be able to save a chunk after year 2 by paying it off with a cheaper rate loan. Still think you are bonkers buying the newer more expensive car when you are so hung up on cost, you could get this one for £9k, and if it died after 2 years buy another for £9k and be in the same position. Or when it doesn't die you'll have a car that has hardly lost you anything, saved you a fortune and you'll have been able to put some money to oneside for something else.

Soldato
That £15K mg5 motormiles dealer doesn't pass the sniff test half a dozen taycan's and viewing by appointment .. peculiar mix of vehicles supposedly on his stock, or selling for a friend.

hadn't realised the mg5 is only 1600Kg impressive ..however has it not had an ncap rating, but my older 3series isn't a 5.

Back
Top Bottom