Thinking of getting an EV

Associate
I just don't think a 10 year old Tesla is the right choice really, considering everything Ive been discussing.
I think the point is that Teslas don't depreciate as much as you might think (autotrader or carwow did a video of the top ten depreciated evs and Tesla wasn't in there).

I get you don't want a Tesla but if fear of deprecation is a factor then you're ruling out a big player.

I just fixed one up myself and have found the community resources around them to be invaluable. When there's only 2 models (the others don't count as they aren't making them RHD anymore) there's a lot of knowledge that is easily shared.

I do however see your point on the lease having very low worry factor. But you also are a bit tied when it comes to doing stuff with it as it isn't your car.

Soldato
OP
I think the point is that Teslas don't depreciate as much as you might think (autotrader or carwow did a video of the top ten depreciated evs and Tesla wasn't in there).

I get you don't want a Tesla but if fear of deprecation is a factor then you're ruling out a big player.
its not the depreciation that is stopping me, its the fact its a 10 year old Tesla. Im meant to be derisking myself, i.e something new and under warranty with no repairs needed.

Soldato
He wasn’t suggesting buying a 10 year old Model S.

He was pointing at a Model S basically saying how reliable they are while suggesting buying a much cheaper and simpler Model 3 which has only been on the market since 2019.

Soldato
I just fixed one up myself and have found the community resources around them to be invaluable.
even though tesla repair manuals are leaked - tesla have control/patents on spare parts market(didn't pay to build one) that combines to give high insurance/repair costs,
mg/geely have less exclusivity on their parts, whereas legacy western manufacturers vag/stellantis continue old model.
analogy I saw the other day tesla = iphone on wheels.

Soldato
even though tesla repair manuals are leaked - tesla have control/patents on spare parts market(didn't pay to build one) that combines to give high insurance/repair costs,
mg/geely have less exclusivity on their parts, whereas legacy western manufacturers vag/stellantis continue old model.

Leaked? What are you on about?

The full tesla service manual is freely available online from… Tesla. You can also access their diagnostic tools called ‘Toolbox’ for a not unreasonable fee.

There are 3rd party parts available for most wear items like suspension parts. There are also a ton of 3rd party uprated parts and a load of less tasteful stuff like body kits aero wheel covers.

Sure you can only get a new screen from Tesla, but that’s the same as a BMW. Most brand new Tesla parts are also reasonably priced.

Breakers are also available and Thanks to insurers writing off Tesla’s for minor damage, there is a ton of cheap used parts available.

You do post some nonsense sometimes.

Last edited:
Associate
I won't derail the thread with the details but I can categorically say my experience was the opposite and it was the first car is ever repaired myself.

Soldato
wow..... imagine if that warranty became common place... surely the right wing media and the gammons would then have to shut the heck up then about the whole battery worthless in 5 years nonsense?!.

Associate
wow..... imagine if that warranty became common place... surely the right wing media and the gammons would then have to shut the heck up then about the whole battery worthless in 5 years nonsense?!.

Standard is already 8 years and 100k miles - I do wish it was law that you could see the health percentage as the owner though.

Associate
I thought the battery life just wasn't an issue? So why would you need this?

The warranty is based on the battery health, at least in my Polestar. If it drops below (I think) 80% then The pack is replaced.

I would like to know if the health is going down quicker than it should be, as it’s not as obvious as if something mechanical broke.

If only the garage can see the figure, why would they ever even bother checking it?

Soldato
Standard is already 8 years and 100k miles - I do wish it was law that you could see the health percentage as the owner though.
i know..... this is what is on my car now............ but the (legitimate i suppose) concern is what happens when these somtimes expensive cars go over 8 years or 100k miles.

I would say the expected life of a car is somewhere around the 20 year 150k mile mark - with anything beyond that then being a bonus. So i do concede that having such a huge part of the car likely impossible to warranty for once the car goes beyond 8 years / 100k miles is a concern..... funnily enough less so for MGs which are cheaper cars, but certainly for cars with an RRP north of £50k.

A life time , or even a lets say 15 year 200k mile warranty on the battery would be a huge selling point and a big show of faith in the tech.

Last edited:
Soldato
I thought the battery life just wasn't an issue? So why would you need this?
Because there is truth and there is perception....... and the perception is from huge numbers of people that batteries fail really quickly..... and they likely use things like their iphone and laptop to reinforce that view.

besides...... data is good, and so imo its never a bad thing providing it where possible.

Man of Honour
besides...... data is good, and so imo its never a bad thing providing it where possible.

I think there are consequences to normalising the idea that an electric car battery has a limited lifespan, which mandating a menu option showing you the battery heath would do.

There are all sorts of sensors in a petrol engine to indicate when things are going wrong but there is no 'engine life left' menu option...

Back
Top Bottom