Thinking of joining the Army

Soldato
Bengaboy has given some good advice and you are certainly not too old to join the army or any of the forces. In fact they have recently upped their age entry level for some trades/roles. However, i wouldn't fancy being infantry pushing 30!!

As i mentioned, 25 years in now, you probably aren't thinking about it now, but one thing to be aware of is engagement dates, army = 22 years and out the door (dependent on rank etc) RAF = currently signing people onto 60!!!

Afghan, Iraq, Dubai, Hawaii, Australia, most of Europe - paid to see the world and they give you a trade and non-contributory pension, i don't regret any of my time in.

Associate
I served in the RAF for 19 years. Retired 2.5 years ago.

I would say- like others- if you are one of these super fit types then go for it but for most people with more normal levels of physical fitness and strength, avoid the Infantry. It will knacker your knees. Most infantry pers join young and by your age now have achieved a bit of rank, meaning they are less likely to be doing a lot of ‘humping’ stuff about (in general). Join a technical trade. Join the RAF!

Soldato
Join the RAF!

Pffffft... No 1200 Friday thinning out for the RAF - join the Navy!

Seriously though, I work in a tri-service environment at the moment and can say the RAF treat their lads better. If I were to recommend people joining now, it would probably be to join the RAF. Depends on if you need a bit of stability.

We go away for 9 months every 2-4 years, the RAF need to do something like a 3 month UAE deployment living on a base every 4 years or something?

Soldato
All depends on trade and rank how often you go away (1 year - 5 years) and for how long (4 months - 6 months).

But yes, glad i'm a blue suit.

Permabanned
No, no one ever should be in any army. We should build a society without any military.
There are countries around the world without armies and they are the best places on Earth.

Soldato
Aside from the comments about us all living in a peaceful world where we don't need armed forces, I'll throw something into the mix and just to add we don't kill babies and I'm unaware of any deliberate targeting of women and children, that seems to be a common theme when talking about military, we all bomb women and children apparently. Anyway...

Im in the RE and been in since 2010, i thought i joined late as a 23/24yr old, so a quick one on being 28 (probably pushing 29 by the time you were in) be prepared to be much older and get many headaches from immature recruits during your training phase especially, although 99% chance you will not be alone being the oldest as there are always a few oldies walking through the door day 1.

As for infantry I can't comment too much but personally if I were to go that route Id probably just try go Paras for the simple fact they are a bit above :) but that is a can of worms and all infantry regiments are "the best"

As for what they are up to, no war fighting anymore so although war fighting is bad, its a cracking recruitment tool and at the end of the day you don't want to do a full infantry career and not end up doing your job and as the political climate is very much against "boots on the ground" I wouldn't put money on getting any decent medals anytime soon, although that is not to say infantry aren't busy being deployed left right and centre, as is with our lot we are probably busier than ever.

Again due to manning at present, be prepared to be busy and deploy regular, so the 9-5 going home often can be a bit of a luxury.

I would push you towards RE instead of infantry but looking from the outside it seems the infantry is a young persons game, however as with anything, if you are keen, fit and prepared to crack on then you will do well regardless of age. I would just say go sooner than later if you have waited this long I wouldn't recommend waiting any longer if you are definitely going to do it.

Permabanned
They exist by being friends with countries with armies. Thinking peace exists in Europe (or anywhere) today without a strong force ready to move is naive

Peace exists because there is a balance in the nuclear arm...Strong force without any nuclear won't survive for long.

Soldato
Just to add,

The recruitment process is ran by Capita I believe now, which are causing chaos in the recruitment process, I joined before that lot got put in control of it, so I am not sure how it works now, so I can't answer any questions regarding the application process.

But any other questions I can try my best to answer.

Man of Honour
Just to add,

The recruitment process is ran by Capita I believe now, which are causing chaos in the recruitment process, I joined before that lot got put in control of it, so I am not sure how it works now, so I can't answer any questions regarding the application process.

But any other questions I can try my best to answer.
From what I've seen it's now taking between one and two years from application to getting into basic and they lose everything you send them. Standard crapita really.

Soldato
Not sure what the reasoning was behind changing it from all in house ?

Or was it just as simple as money ?

Most the military is now outsourced to civi in some shape or other. It’s a shame really, it would be nice and probably ideal to run everything in house but I guess we can’t afford it and definitely can’t afford the uplift in manpower it would require.

I’ve only seen since 2010 but from that little time it’s just like there is no money anywhere. But I guess this is another topic altogether :)

Soldato
"Why would anyone want to live a life of servitude for a below average pay on the promise they might gain a few skills they can easily get outside of a military??"

• £20k starting pay after training - check
  • £40k middle manager - check
  • 2 holidays this year - check
  • ISO27001 LA and other courses paid for by the military - check
  • £6000 for education for each service person - check
  • Ordered to to rape, pillage or murder babies - negative Ghostrider
  • Last day today until 10 Jan 2019 - check
Yeah the military is a terrible employer.

I'm not saying the military is the be all and end all, i've been to some pretty crappy places and at times genuinely feared for my life, but you take the rough with the smooth and i am happy with my lot :)

Caporegime
From what I've seen it's now taking between one and two years from application to getting into basic and they lose everything you send them. Standard crapita really.

Yeah so the OP could be 30 or 31 whdn going through training.

Infantry is probably a very bad idea for him, picking a trade would likely be much more sensible.

Back
Top Bottom