Thinking of moving to Cyprus

Soldato
I moved back to the UK around 2013/2014. I feel the quality of life here has really gone downhill for the middle classes.

The cost of living is out of control.
I am not incentivized to work more, after £100k adjusted income you pay 62% tax.
A £100k income give a take home pay of £5.6k which sounds like a lot but really it does not go far after paying childcare/school fees/ mortgage or rent.

Schools are overcrowded and really not that good, so many feel they are pushed into paying for private school which is £18k to £25k PA. VAT is soon to be added on top

Healthcare is shocking, so we need to pay for health insurance

The weather is not idea.

So Cyprus, school fees are around £7k pa, Health insurance is around the same as the uk, Rent for a 3 bed house close to the beach £1300 pcm.
restaurants and cafes around half of the uk cost, live in home help £600 pcm (not saying I would have this)

Flights to the uk are quite cheap.

So I was thinking, 2 days per week remote work in Cy, fly to the uk once per month to work 4 or 5 days. Ok my income would be half of what it is now but I would pay less tax, much lower living costs and work a lot less but get to enjoy life a little more than the rat race we have here.

Does anyone else just feel this is not the ideal place to live anymore ?

It would not be until summer 2025 but its looking more and more like a good idea.

Last edited:
I'd agree with those sentiments yes, I'd emigrate (ideally with work) if the option turned up.

Wife and kids are up for it, only sticky bit is the grandparents but like you say it's not tough getting back home and you'd likely end up being a holiday destination for family once you're established.

On the Med you've got decent weather most of the year, solar offsets energy costs massively too.

Only downside I can see with Cyprus is British tourists around the holidays. :D

Soldato
OP
Im lucky as my kid is in a much cheaper school and still young so only about £11k but it gets a lot more expensive as they get older. I know we could go to public school but im willing to go without other stuff for a good school.

to be honest if I rent my house the rental income is enough to cover lot of our costs out there. I know im lucky to have a good job and have food on the table but I just feel like life is slipping by.

Soldato
I guess the main thing is eligibility to move there? I know a guy on here, i forget his name moved to Crete/Corfu (guy who used to live in Vietnam) but i'm not sure how Cyprus operates as it's split i think between Greeze and Turkey. I recall you lived in Prague years ago, so not worth considering something around there? Imagine there's some stunning lakes in the Czech Republic and might be able to use any language skills previously picked up.

Tax could be a bit weird if you're living in one place but working in the UK, probably need some advice on that.

Other factors would be career opportunities for your children? Unsure what it's actually like in Cyprus but i imagine prospects are much better in the UK career wise.

Last edited:
Soldato
If I was looking to move elsewhere in Europe again, my main consideration would be the availability of dual citizenship and the path to getting an EU passport.

Caporegime
If I could emigrate I would, but getting a child with additional needs into the countries I’d want to go to seems to border on impossible, seems a little draconian, but it is what it is.

Go for it if you can make it work!

Caporegime
Best things Dr House has done based on GD internet advice:

1. Moved to St Albans (didn't work out)
2. Bought an M6 (didn't work out)
3. Bought an amazing property which I think he designed? (didn't work out)
4. Got married (didn't work out)
5. Decided to post 12 month late pay requests because he wasn't being paid (actually, this did work out when everyone was like "how can they pay you if they don't know you worked?")

I look forward to hearing great advice which Dr House will probably act on and then look even further forward to the resulting "guys, it didn't work out" thread.

Associate
I think a lot of people are thinking of moving to another country, me included.
I feel just like you, I have no motivation to do anything in this country and what I pay for I get very poor returns.

Yes , the NHS = crap, and I just don't see why I should stay here. Everything is expensive and everything is of low quality.

I have been slowly deciding the country, As you say 60% of tax is just so much.

I have told my boss I wanted double pay or I am moving. MS have offered me a job at
a new location near Bayswater. I am negotiating my contract with my current boss and MS. I have told them I like to work remotely in southern Europe see if they offer what I want.

I think Cyprus has low tax.

Last edited:
Soldato
Best things Dr House has done based on GD internet advice:

1. Moved to St Albans (didn't work out)
2. Bought an M6 (didn't work out)
3. Bought an amazing property which I think he designed? (didn't work out)
4. Got married (didn't work out)
5. Decided to post 12 month late pay requests because he wasn't being paid (actually, this did work out when everyone was like "how can they pay you if they don't know you worked?")

I look forward to hearing great advice which Dr House will probably act on and then look even further forward to the resulting "guys, it didn't work out" thread.
Thanks for updating us on the lore

Back
Top Bottom