Thinnest induction hob?

Soldato
OP
Only a personal opinion, but I swapped out a Glass/Ceramic hob for an Induction one, and would never go back.

Yes, an induction hob was my first choice but the professionals - Miele - recommend against it because I have a knife drawer underneath so I would be foolish to not follow their advice. I have a very small kitchen - about 7' x 9' - and a full redesign is not on the cards. At least, not right now.

Soldato
It takes around 1 - 2 minutes for my Tefal wok to hit optimum temp (colour spot on bottom to indicate this).

That is enough time for me to dice up the ingredients. How much faster does someone need? :)

Last edited:
Soldato
We have a Bosch 5-ring induction hob and it sits directly above the cutlery drawer so not sure why Miele are recommending against it.

Pan wise we use the ProCook Elite range - seem to be very good on induction especially the Wok!

Soldato
How far above and do you have anything in between?

The work tops are 38mm and the hob is 51mm so it only sticks 13mm below.

We brought it as part of our kitchen and Wren sold us a sticky foil heat-reflective sheet that goes on the bottom for a fiver (it was a compulsory item we couldn't take off) - I'm pretty sure it doesn't do a lot but Bosch say in the manual that only a 5mm gap between the bottom of the hob and the drawer is required anyway. Like this: https://www.screwfix.com/p/unika-al...SP2oDhgakl1fG5RPG3RoCrDwQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Here's the link to ours https://www.bosch-home.co.uk/product-list/cooking-baking/hobs/induction-hobs/PIV851FB1E and the manual here FYI showing the measurements: https://media3.bosch-home.com/Documents/9001093674_I.pdf

Soldato
We have a Seimans induction hob above our cutlery drawer- it's been there now for near 12 yrs. -You will find the cutlery gets warm but we have had no problem- This was fitted by kitchen fitters and I updated the hob a couple of years ago with another Seimans- What I did find is there wasn't any way the heat could escape from the cutlery drawer except over back of drawer and down to back of the units which have vented kickplate.
So I took/cut out that wooden batton across front as really it wasn't doing anything as worktop is a thick one.
The wife worked this out herself that if she opened the drawer and put something on front edge it gave the hot air somewhere to go easily while doing a long cook like stew.
We have had no problem at all with the hob or the heat underneath even before I modified the top of unit.

No way would I ever go back to a Ceramic hob.

Also make sure you buy one with a temp control for each ring not one that you press button first to select your ring then adjust -they are a real PITA.

Soldato
OP
We have a Seimans induction hob above our cutlery drawer- it's been there now for near 12 yrs.

How far above?

What I did find is there wasn't any way the heat could escape from the cutlery drawer except over back of drawer and down to back of the units which have vented kickplate.

Right. I have no vents. I suppose I could drill some holes in the back and install some grommets.

Soldato
How far above?
from bottom of hob to top of side rail of drawer - 25mm.

We also have a plastic knife holder in there and the top of it is same height as top of side of drawer.

I have to say I don't remember reading anywhere that there should be a certain height between drawer and Hob base.

We had our kitchen units from a Kitchen showroom, -we told them what we wanted -gave sizes said where cooker and hob was going and at no point did they say you can't put hob there or sorry you can't have a drawer under hob.
So 12 yrs on it's still working fine with no signes of heat burns or anything else.

You could put a small fan in kickboard under unit door to draw air out or in from units.

Associate
Same I have induction hob on top of drawer, I personally think its incredibly close to the hob but its been like that for years, stuff gets warm underneath but never too hot just tepid, I have no cooling vents just vents into drawer space, it does have a big hole at the rear to floor.

Missus often has it going full bore all rings no issues, when it gets hot it does throttle down from P to a lower temp but its rare.

When our original broke during covid I couldn't get many replacement that was as slim as fitted I was left with about 3 options, that miele, an aeg (the original one) and this one which was a cheaper version of the AEG, almost same internal but less fancy glass.

Last edited:
Soldato
They look like my worktops as well :D

The knife holder is raised up - in my drawer I don't have that just a cutlery tray so it sits a bit lower.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm getting annoyed with the difficulty of cleaning my hob. It's an old iron plate thing. So I'm looking at an induction hob. Standard 4 zone, 60cm jobbie. Hopefully a drop-in replacement. But there is a knife draw immediately below it. So I need the hob to be very shallow. The countertop is 4cm thick. And I don't want to be heating the knives. What do you recommend?
Another here, I have mine above my cutlery draw. Never any issues with it, its been like this for years - I have the AEG IKB64401FB

As covered above, mine is hardwired to a separate fuse location. Just make sure you're not buying something that is plug in (they suck :))

Last edited:
Associate
I've had a reply from Miele. They actually do not recommend any induction hob when there is a drawer with metal items underneath. Oh well. So I guess it's going to have to be a ceramic hob.
We have always had drawers under the induction hobs that we have had without any issues at all. I would still go for an induction hob - they are far superior to ceramic and you will regret it.

Soldato
I love the induction hob as well and wouldn't remotely go back to all gas and definitely not ceramic - the only change I would make (with hindsight) is to get a mixed 4-zone induction and 1-zone gas unit that AEG do. We've spent the earth on a decent induction friendly wok and it's not too bad but the wok experience is definitely better on gas! Sadly we had all the gas piping ripped out so it's not a viable retrofit anymore without trashing the kitchen again.

Soldato
Quite right to check. Yes, it's on a 32A circuit with 6mm cabling.

I've found that Miele do one that's a mere 3 cm thick, the KM7201FR. As with all Miele products, the price is swingeing. I've emailed them about the suitability and the safety.
Learnt a new word, thanks

Back
Top Bottom