third party Am4 coolers

Soldato
hey, are third party AM4 coolers fitted the same way as the AMD OEM ones?
for example the scythe cooler was just a screw on affair, but the spire had a god-awful hook over latch thing that was a pain to install, I ask because my son has an AM4 system that we are either going to overclock, the 1600x that it already has or get one of the am4 3dx cpus to go in there
I like to try overclocking it first, then both save a little while to try a beefy gpu with it at max overclock, but it is already a toasty cpu with the scythe on there,
I'd rather let him change the cooler under my supervision, so I'd prerfer a screw on one to make life easy on him, it will be his first cooler installation, and when I installed a spire on my oldAM system, I found it really frustrating,
thanks

Last edited:
All the AM4 coolers i have used have been screw in type.

The only one that has been a bit awkward is the Liquid Freezer III.

What cooler was you thinking of getting?

Here is a example video, think all of these kind use the original motherboard backplate.

They are installed to the backplate as standard you remove them to fit the screw type.
the rectangles on the top of the plate on the front face, the spire had a thin piece of metal that went through the cooler, that thin flat piece of metal has a cut out rectangle at one end that has to hook over one of the plates retangles, then there is a lever to tighten the whole thing up and put some pressure on the mating face, really annoying, his pc has the screw in scythe, so I'm hoping that it will be all ready for a replacement screw in aftermarket am4 cooler, as long as the cooler is designed to be screwed on, hence the question

Last edited:
If you think the spire is bad
I remember in the old days
Was similar
But no lever to tighten it/apply mounting pressure
You used a screwdriver to push it down
Then over the retaining lugs
Very awkward if was a large cooler/heatsink
One slip of that screwdriver with all the downwards pressure
And very good chance of damaging the motherboard

Back
Top Bottom