This Business and Moment...

Soldato
OP
FML. Honestly. F.M.L.

Got our APK delivered this morning for the SaveNode wallet... as promised. What's it like? ****. They were supposed to take an existing wallet, called the BRD, or bread wallet and add our coin specs in there. What they did was remake the wallet, tried to make it look like BRD (badly) and none of the features work at all. To the point where you can't even load settings, it's just an image ffs!! Are you kidding me?
It's not even that instructions weren't clear, they were clear as ******* day. This was the Indian lot. I am going to get a refund and sack them off, there is literally no way they can make what they've made work. I made a list of all the things that don't work. 15 things on the first run through. All core functionality. I've lost 8 weeks in this ****. 8 ******* weeks. All the while the community holds me responsible for not delivering.
I have another guy looking at it at the moment. I'm going to see what he can do. He seems much more switched on and with it than the others, we will see... UGH!!

Plus sides, Ermin from Bosnia is doing well. Needs a bit of a hand with understanding our elastic search queries but his code is decent. He's coming on well, and our backend referral system is nearly there too. Happy on the VolAir side of things.
Also happy with the Egyptian dude working on Cheezus, he's plodding on and said I'll have a demo shortly to play with in Alpha.

I need a coffee and a sit down. ha

Associate
FML. Honestly. F.M.L.

Got our APK delivered this morning for the SaveNode wallet... as promised. What's it like? ****. They were supposed to take an existing wallet, called the BRD, or bread wallet and add our coin specs in there. What they did was remake the wallet, tried to make it look like BRD (badly) and none of the features work at all. To the point where you can't even load settings, it's just an image ffs!! Are you kidding me?
It's not even that instructions weren't clear, they were clear as ******* day. This was the Indian lot. I am going to get a refund and sack them off, there is literally no way they can make what they've made work. I made a list of all the things that don't work. 15 things on the first run through. All core functionality. I've lost 8 weeks in this ****. 8 ******* weeks. All the while the community holds me responsible for not delivering.
I have another guy looking at it at the moment. I'm going to see what he can do. He seems much more switched on and with it than the others, we will see... UGH!!

Plus sides, Ermin from Bosnia is doing well. Needs a bit of a hand with understanding our elastic search queries but his code is decent. He's coming on well, and our backend referral system is nearly there too. Happy on the VolAir side of things.
Also happy with the Egyptian dude working on Cheezus, he's plodding on and said I'll have a demo shortly to play with in Alpha.

I need a coffee and a sit down. ha

We outsouced some app development to India a few years back via what seemed like a very reputable company the outcome was terrible. We had concerns straight off the bat when they said it would take 2 weeks! Obviously this never happened (we had estimated approx 12 weeks) so we expected that but in the end it overran massively and they eventually delivered a pretty poor/buggy product.

One of the major problems we found is that when explaining what we needed they would say they understood but obviouly did not and would have been better for all it they were more forecoming with questions regarding the requirements. They just really wanted to please us but could have gone about it in a much better way.

Soldato
OP
One of the major problems we found is that when explaining what we needed they would say they understood but obviouly did not and would have been better for all it they were more forecoming with questions regarding the requirements. They just really wanted to please us but could have gone about it in a much better way.

This is 100% it. Like, couldn't agree more. The amount of times I stated we're here for questions. They say they understand, and go off and do something wrong, then say it's all fine. Until the point you see it and they're like, oh, we will fix it... and go off randomly smacking moles not having a ******* clue what they're doing. Culturally they can't just say, no, I don't get this, can you tell me what you mean? They just go off "doing something" when it's all wrong.

These guys have said they're fixing it by today... lol which is funny because there is no way in hell they took 8 weeks to deliver the **** they did, which didn't work AT ALL. Yet, now they can turn around a whole rebuild in 24hrs? lol come on. Just proves the point you said; they don't want to admit they can't do it.

Caporegime

Ah... some of the cultural differences can be awkward at times, the whole not wanting to lose face thing seems to be the reason for this. It gets a bit amusing though if a question is asked that requires a choice to be made say or some information required and you still get an answer of "yes".

Soldato
So my company wants to save a few hundred quid in getting a company to PAT test everything by sending me on a course (not sure why a course is required) and getting me to do it.

Yay.

Last edited:
Caporegime
(not sure why a course is required)

Do you get officially certified to put the little stickers on plugs/appliances etc.. or something? :D

Maybe negotiate for some other courses that you'd like too... if they're throwing around money for training then they can look at a bit of career development too in addition to just dropping extra mundane stuff in your lap to save $$$.

Permabanned
So my company wants to save a few hundred quid in getting a company to PAT test everything by send me on a course (not sure why a course is required) and getting me to do it.

Yay.

You have to know how to plug a cable into a machine, press some buttons and stick a label on something. This requires high skill you know! It's worth 50p a machine if you can manage to do the above correctly.

Associate
The wait is killing me! How long does it usually take for an official offer letter to come through?

I had a third interview this morning, at the end of that a verbal offer that I accepted and received a confirmation letter within an hour and a half. I think that's the rare exception though!!!

Edit to add - I'm properly happy, company great, spot on skills match etc etc. Just a good feeling, but I've worked hard for it.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Then go self employed and charge 49p a machine. More machines, more of a discount they get. :)

So you'd have to test 1000 machines (if that is even realistic in a day) to get the same amount as say the BA or Dev who turns up, perhaps has an easy morning due to hangover and then knocks out a bit of code or a spec in the afternoon.

Soldato
So in my other job (not wedding), I do Photography (of food), graphic design and a little bit of marketing. Just had a chat with the boss and added Website SEO to the list of my responsibility...

So, where do I start with this? He is happy to send me on a course.

Forget SEO and concentrate on good quality blogs/news and updates. SEO is old school and most search engines don't look for it as much as great content.

Man of Honour
Just had an interview with VMware for permanent employment. I've been contracting since 2012, it's a bit of a drop in take home, but not that big. I'm tempted to take it as I get fed up of looking for work at the end of contracts and all the additional overheads.

Man of Honour
In a weird spot at work. The gauntlet had been laid down for me for promotion but I am really quiet, whilst the rest of the team is busy / working all hours. I’m very deliberately leaving at 5pm as I know I will be raped by work in due course (and have been raped by work on many occasions previously) but I kind of feel bad / lazy. The incentive for the business is to get me working on new projects rather than assist on existing complicated projects which I’m too expensive to get involved with (in respect of charge out rate). Worried about my financial performance.

But also, every time I get asked to do something it’s “it’s 4pm now and the world will end unless you get this report sorted by noon tomorrow” which is frankly a crap and unnecessarily stressful way of working.

Ho hum *browses forums*

Man of Honour
How do you go about negotiating salaries? They've come back with an offer £5k less than I would like after grading me against current peers. Do I ask for something in between? It's still a great package to be fair.

Back
Top Bottom