This Business and Moment...

Man of Honour
Had my annual appraisal today and I'm set to start working under a big, big cheese (having done some work for him and he liked me) and he did my review. God, you really do feel like a total 'ant' next to someone of that seniority. Everything they say and do, even casual conversation, is so polished, intelligent and articulate that it's one hell of a reality check to what a total nooblet I really am :o

Went well though :D

Soldato
One month in to the 4 day working week and I'm already having to do overtime just to keep up with the extra admin work from others being off and my projects are slipping. I don't even have time to take off the 30 days of leave I still have before Christmas and it's only going to get worse with the introduction of new products. Might have to have words about being paid and put back on the full 5 days as I don't need the time off, even if it means waiting for the cash with the new product contracts as that's supposedly what we're waiting on.

Soldato
Been successful with a recent interview and they've offered me the position but, I'm hesitant to hand my notice in at my current job until I've a contract in my hand for the new place.

Is this normal practice? Would you guys do the same?

Soldato
Wait for the contract and read it thoroughly before handing in your notice, if you quit and something crops up that wasn't discussed then it can leave you in a difficult position.

Soldato
Wait for the contract and read it thoroughly before handing in your notice, if you quit and something crops up that wasn't discussed then it can leave you in a difficult position.

Thanks, my thoughts too.

I'm not actually being pushed by my new employer at all, but the contract is being posted to me and I've advised I'll hand my notice in when I've managed to look through the particulars. Just wanted to check I wasn't being rude in this scenario!

Man of Honour
That's absolutely normal. I've kept agencies/new employers waiting for several days while I wait for my contract to be reviewed by a solicitor.

Soldato
Its not rude at all, essentially you need to look after yourself. If a potentially employer was putting pressure on me without a contract, that would set off quite a few alarm bells.

Hope it all works out and good luck in the new role!

Soldato
That's absolutely normal. I've kept agencies/new employers waiting for several days while I wait for my contract to be reviewed by a solicitor.

Its not rude at all, essentially you need to look after yourself. If a potentially employer was putting pressure on me without a contract, that would set off quite a few alarm bells.

Hope it all works out and good luck in the new role!

Many thanks both, that's put my mind at ease.

Appreciate it llamadal, quite a step up in terms of responsibility and scope so it should be very interesting. If not I'll crumble and take the experience anyway! :)

Soldato
Okay, so I received the contract early this afternoon, went through it and there's a couple of things I'm not thrilled about but nothing to deter me taking on the role. With that info to hand, I approached my manager and advised him that I'd been offered another job. He's asked for me to give him some time for the owner of the business to speak to me (who is currently on holiday). One of those, "we wan to keep you, what package have you been offered" type conversations.

So lost as even though I kinda knew this would happen, I didn't really plan for it.

Sorry for the double barreled post here folks, but have you guys got any advice? I've been offered more money to stay in firms in the past but always moved on. Is that approach always worthwhile? (I appreciate it's one of those questions that is heavily dependent on the individual).

Soldato
Sorry for the double barreled post here folks, but have you guys got any advice? I've been offered more money to stay in firms in the past but always moved on. Is that approach always worthwhile? (I appreciate it's one of those questions that is heavily dependent on the individual).

My advice is to always take money out of the equation.

Ignore salary, imagine they both pay the same, put both jobs side by side. Which is more appealing?

Man of Honour
Hows peoples AC in the office today? Feels like ours is just blowing a slight breeze of tepid air on the other side of the room...
We don't have air con, we have a 'cold air circulation system'. So what that basically does is blow outside air around the office. Yes, it is rubbish.

Soldato
My advice is to always take money out of the equation.

Ignore salary, imagine they both pay the same, put both jobs side by side. Which is more appealing?

Sound advice, that. However I've tried to not consider the money and I'm still coming up a little lost. It's a mix of comfort vs responsibility but since my current employer is looking into a package that could offer me, I might have the best of both worlds if I stay.

Also what aren't you happy about in the contract? I'm successfully had clauses etc altered or even removed.

The contract and initial e-mail from the company wasn't welcoming at all, very harsh and abrupt in tone. It's only a relatively small/medium enterprise, 100 staff and £10m annual turnover. No need for it to be clinical in my eyes. Bearing in mind the position I've been successful for is finance manager over 3 members of staff and the only person I report to is the owner.

I've gone down from 25 to 20 days holiday and now I've got to use 3 days for Christmas as it closes, which I normally don't use for that purpose.

Every third Friday I have to stay late into the evening, for basically undisclosed reasons, (read 'just because'). I contested it saying I would be more than happy to stay late every night of the week should the job require it, but an arbitrary requirement to stay late every third Friday seems bonkers. She wouldn't amend it.

There's a few other things also which smelt fishy to me, you know when you get a negative vibe? That's how I feel.

Yea, I'd agree with @AHarvey most people are looking to move for more reasons than just money. If not, sure slap on some pounds, but I'd imagine it's not the case.

I'd be curious to know what you're not happy with in the contract too?

As above really mate. Definitely trying to keep money out of the equation, difficult too remove it completely however. We're all creatures of bias.

Back
Top Bottom