This Business and Moment...

Soldato
Another supervisor has been sacked for underperforming although he was hitting his required target everyday normally doing between 8k-10k more a day.

@AHarvey - I was a maintenance engineer working on ginetting machines refurbishing them but also had to run them from time to time, but i have handed in my notice today going to work with my brother at metal workshop part time until i can find something else.

In two minds about learning through the open university and getting into IT but im not really one for sitting behind a desk i prefer hands on work.

Wow sounds like a crap company to work for...Hope things take an upturn for you asap

Soldato
It wasn't to bad at first i quite enjoyed it but new management got bought in that dont know there ******** from there elbow and wont listen to people who have worked there for 20+ years who are trying to give them advice then management kick off that production rates are down.

Ive got an interview lined up for Tuesday another maintenance job, Pay is a little bit more than what I was on but its an hour commute which is not to bad I'm just to having a 5 minute stroll to work.

Soldato
@ValiantUK91 , check out Synectics Solutions, they are based next to Port Vale football club.

Best company I've worked for. I had 2 interviews with them, 90% was all based around me as a person, my attitude, skills can be taught, attitude can't. Been there 2 months and already being fast tracked compared to other new starters. They have their own maintenance team on site as well. I can't say there is an opening but say Stu from App Support recommended you apply. Once you've done 6 months probation there is always opportunities to move within the company so you could look at moving into IT if you felt like it.

Soldato
If that doesn't work out, let me know and I'll speak to a local mate who runs a VR and rental company, his lads travel the world setting up VR units etc. I can see if he's recruiting anyone :)

Caporegime
I'd rather keep my work separate from my personal life. I'm not a fan of sharing so much on the forums.

Fair game dude, hope it's going well anyway.

Been trying to update my CV as I've been in my current role a while so it needs adding...Literally never been so useless at writing it up :D

Attempting to try and make it a bit more generic, as pretty much all i've done is IT support

Soldato
Haven't posted in this for about 9 months - the slow start to the year carried on a lot longer than expected, and mirrored our 2016 performance, which at the time I thought was anomalous. Typically over the last 12 years I've produced ~75% of my revenue in the first half of the year, but this has been totally flipped on it's head this year and last.

My belief in my friend and employee, Alex, has fortunately turned out to be accurate. I felt he could do the job very well, in his own way of course, and that he had to simply balance out his temperament and approach to the job (i.e. it's not as important as he was making it out to be... it's just a job). He has had a great year, worked with some excellent clients and executed a load of impressive business for us - the investments his clients focus on is genuinely interesting. In fact, so well-honed is his approach that he hasn't had an offer turned down by a candidate in his two years in the job! That's largely unheard of in our industry - that impressive stat could change tomorrow though. He did have another wobble where his mind got the better of him and he tried to quit... 2 months after I signed him up to private health insurance, a month after setting up his pension and two months before he was leading my stag do as my best man! Fortunately we talked him down off the ledge, and I've told him in no uncertain terms that he needs to talk when he's struggling and not keep everything bottled up to the point he quits. It coincided with him drinking again after a 12 month break... so not really too surprising that his settled sleep habits went out the window in the month leading up to him trying to quit.

We've both grown into the year, hitting decent figures and working with a breadth of interesting clients, including some massive mandates (we should hopefully be completing the placement of a CEO for a Bank!!!). All in all, there's a chance we may even top last calendar year's results, which I would have never thought achievable a few months. Fortunately, because our financial year runs August-July, it means our strong performance late last year compensated for our poor start in 2017.

It's been a difficult year to get momentum going - got engaged in March, spent ages trying to sort wedding stuff out and then in the last 12 weeks my younger sister had a baby, my older sister has had two weddings (one in London, one in NY) and I'm getting married in a fortnight. Plus we've taken holidays whenever we possibly could. With all this going, my other senior colleague left the office as he and his partner moved out of London - he's had a tough year business-wise and been really quite unlucky. The plan for 2018 is to team back up with him once he starts regularly billing, relocate offices from Bethnal Green to Bond Street, get my sister set up in NYC as an employee once/if she finally gets her paperwork through and have a real push at building a proper business. We've got cash in the bank to fund a proper crack at it, and I think markets in 2018 - particularly in the US - could open some interesting doors for us.

TLDR - my company's 2017 very much like our 2016 - interrupted, up and down at times, ultimately could be a decent year.

Soldato
Been in the games industry for 6 weeks now! Loving it so far, currently in Santa Monica - here for another 4 weeks, having a great time so far.

Only problem I seem to be having, since I joined - I'm getting totally smashed on Linkedin, I normally get daily messages for stuff that has no meaning to me - but very recently it's increased by a factor of about 10x, I've also encountered a new type of linkedin pain - recruiters posing as engineers/developers, messaging me to get intros to the company, it's really ******* cheeky. I kind of expected to get harrassment on linkedin as it's a well known large gaming/esports company - but it's practically DDOSing me off Linkedin :(

Soldato
I opened the doors to my new business on the 2nd of October not knowing how the first few days or weeks would go..

Two and a bit weeks in and we've doubled our predicted turnover for month one. All our clients have paid their invoices on time and we've got three prospects ready to sign contracts with us.

It's been a difficult and tiresome experience to get where I am but now I'm here it's a great feeling and the sky's the limit.

Soldato
Currently pondering bedtime after completing one assignment for uni and researching several others. Will continue tomorrow......

It's been an interesting week with some high and some lows but the possibilities are endless and I have no idea how the end game will play out.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Won site of the region award for this quarter (best in Europe!).

That’s 2 in a row now, along with a few other awards and recognition, not to mention getting through 2 external audits with 0 NCs and getting a distinction in the course they funded... going to use it as ammo for my formal 1 year appraisal.

Had a £10k payrise when I took the job, so I’m already ahead of where I saw myself a year ago but the way I look at it is I’m doing a good job and I’ve never asked for a raise in my life but this seems justified.

Soldato
OP
Love to hear all this sort of update! Sounds like people are smashing it!

My end emotuit is slow, same old **** really. I have outstanding **** I need to push hard and I'm still trying to scale down our infra and manage that before year end, as well as interviewing people and managing accounts and handholding them/ trying to get new ones!

I've seen a role internally here at novartis that's really what I enjoy, which is more on the emotuit side of things. It's for a Head of GDU (Global Discovery University) which is managing their learning stuff here. I'd NEVER get an interview with my CV, but I could nail every point of the job description. It's all about using technology to improve learning, consolidating LMSs, analytics, understanding the needs of users etc. Which is, you know, what I do... on top of emotuit I have holomua which is a career management tool understanding how to map learning internally to people's prospective career paths etc. so understanding, I feel I could smash it.

I just need to find a way to get a sit down with the hiring manager to talk, as he's the person who used to be in that position in the first place... I think then I'd be OK, but need to find out the best way to approach it. He's like top band on the org chart. :/ Will try and work out the best email to send I think...

Soldato
Great to hear so many people doing well and progressing.
I actually got married at the start of September, so it's been just getting back into the swing of things for me in October.
I did actually get a great early wedding Gift from work during my rewards discussion a week or so prior where I found out I had been promoted to Senior Service Delivery Manager, just under 18 months into in role - absolutely delighted with that and the compensation / bonus etc so made the Honeymoon even more enjoyable!
This year all about continuing to build my brand internally, I think I do a great job with my customers but I can be slightly isolated up here in Edinburgh with all the main staff down in Reading. Hopefully a few trips stateside can be arranged and I will be spending more time in Belfast with one of my bigger customers due to changes on their side.

Looking forward to a strong FY18!

Soldato
Love to hear all this sort of update! Sounds like people are smashing it!

My end emotuit is slow, same old **** really. I have outstanding **** I need to push hard and I'm still trying to scale down our infra and manage that before year end, as well as interviewing people and managing accounts and handholding them/ trying to get new ones!

I've seen a role internally here at novartis that's really what I enjoy, which is more on the emotuit side of things. It's for a Head of GDU (Global Discovery University) which is managing their learning stuff here. I'd NEVER get an interview with my CV, but I could nail every point of the job description. It's all about using technology to improve learning, consolidating LMSs, analytics, understanding the needs of users etc. Which is, you know, what I do... on top of emotuit I have holomua which is a career management tool understanding how to map learning internally to people's prospective career paths etc. so understanding, I feel I could smash it.

I just need to find a way to get a sit down with the hiring manager to talk, as he's the person who used to be in that position in the first place... I think then I'd be OK, but need to find out the best way to approach it. He's like top band on the org chart. :/ Will try and work out the best email to send I think...

Either send him an email explaining the above, or just go and speak to him. You've nothing to lose :)

Soldato
Getting a technical start up off the ground with a like minded friend. In five years time it could either be worth £reasonable, or £2.99.

Wish me luck.

A year and a bit on...

I quit my paying, salaried, secure job, in one of the most hardest companies to get a job in; to focus on my start up. Once it's launched I'm happy to reveal what it is.

Theme is Industry 4.0. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Good luck man, keep pushing!

I had a nightmare last night on the phone to a customer we're setting things up with and it's taken me so long and a lot of money with them so far, and we can't connect to one of our services. Turns out it's down, and our website is down... and a lot of our stuff is! I went nuts. The guy is a friend, I would class him as a very good friend, we went to Uni together and he wanted in on what we do a while back. He was on 5% equity and said he would look after our cloud infra and be VP Infra, with the clause in the contract that said if he had to do more than a days work a week, he'd get 10%.
We moved from a UK company to a US Corp a while back and he fought to make sure that the contracts stipulated this. So he fought for his 10% and got it, but of late, or even going back a while now to be honest, he's not putting in the work we need. He's not involved at the high level, so hasn't been doing the things he needs to do. Last night I lost it. He came online and got some stuff back up, but I was the one how got the last stuff up at 12am. HE had buggered off again before everything was confirmed working.
I need to send him something today and outline all of this, but I know what he's like. He'll go ape **** and take it all personally, but at the end of the day I'm the one who's put their families life saving into this, I need someone who is reliable and he isn't. If it goes **** up for him, nothing lost other than some time, but for me it's more than that and I'm not having it.

Need to work out how to broach this constructively.

Back
Top Bottom