This Business and Moment...

Soldato
We have someone who works in this office that signs off:

Best Regards,

NAME HERE

~ Signature ~

Except, the first line in the signature is her name... :p

I agree, I wouldn't say it was unprofessional - Just looks like they don't know how to edit their signature, or don't take enough care.

Soldato
We have someone who works in this office that signs off:

Except, the first line in the signature is her name... :p

I agree, I wouldn't say it was unprofessional - Just looks like they don't know how to edit their signature, or don't take enough care.
Surely that’s incredibly common?

Most people I get emails from have their name in their formal signature and sign off ‘Regards, first name’.

Soldato
Surely that’s incredibly common?

Most people I get emails from have their name in their formal signature and sign off ‘Regards, first name’.

Well then what's the point of the email signature?

My email signature is actually:

Regards,

Marky | Business Name
Telephone | Fax | Email | Website
Office Address

So I just write my email and hit send - No need to type the regards or my name.

Soldato
Well then what's the point of the email signature?

My email signature is actually:

So I just write my email and hit send - No need to type the regards or my name.
From my experience you're in the minority. It's really common to use your signature as a formal full name/title and the sign-off as just your first name.

Either is fine tbh. Neither looks unprofessional or as if they don't care to me.

Soldato
I always take that as being someone who is rather lazy...

Too busy to type out my name dude - I'm just too much in demand I guess :D :p

From my experience you're in the minority. It's really common to use your signature as a formal full name/title and the sign-off as just your first name.

Either is fine tbh. Neither looks unprofessional or as if they don't care to me.

Maybe I am... I did a quick check on the emails I receive from others - I would say it was 50/50 - Which is more than I expected if I'm honest.

Soldato
Got called into the office yesterday to discuss my pay (Wrote a letter of grievance to HR earlier in the week) Fully expected to be told where to go but have been offered a 25% pay increase or the chance to become supervisor and get a 35% increase. Its more hours going from 40 hrs to 50hrs per week but currently saving to buy a house so the extra pay and hours will be welcome.

Also to save me making a separate thread I may aswel ask in here, Friend of mine has had enough of where he works to the point he is off work with depression while been off work he's been applying for jobs and going to interviews and has been offered a new job, He has to work one weeks notice at his current employer could he put in another weeks sick note then hand in his notice and go to work for the new company straight away avoiding working his weeks notice?

Caporegime
Got called into the office yesterday to discuss my pay (Wrote a letter of grievance to HR earlier in the week) Fully expected to be told where to go but have been offered a 25% pay increase or the chance to become supervisor and get a 35% increase. Its more hours going from 40 hrs to 50hrs per week but currently saving to buy a house so the extra pay and hours will be welcome.

Also to save me making a separate thread I may aswel ask in here, Friend of mine has had enough of where he works to the point he is off work with depression while been off work he's been applying for jobs and going to interviews and has been offered a new job, He has to work one weeks notice at his current employer could he put in another weeks sick note then hand in his notice and go to work for the new company straight away avoiding working his weeks notice?

Technically, I guess it depends how the sick note is worded because you wouldn't want the previous employer to go all ''so you're off due to stress but you're working elsewhere".

If he has remaining holiday he can also use that assuming he's worked enough of the year

Caporegime
So, I'm in a conundrum....I work full time and generally enjoy my job, my issue is I simply need more money and I don't think work has any movement to be honest, having recently gone through some redundancies.

I know full well if I go for a similar job, it won't be similar at all and the work will just be terrible. Reason for money is to clear some debt I have.

What would others do? Obvious answer is to look for other work, but I just know other jobs in the same field will just depress me :p

Soldato
So, I'm in a conundrum....I work full time and generally enjoy my job, my issue is I simply need more money and I don't think work has any movement to be honest, having recently gone through some redundancies.

I know full well if I go for a similar job, it won't be similar at all and the work will just be terrible. Reason for money is to clear some debt I have.

What would others do? Obvious answer is to look for other work, but I just know other jobs in the same field will just depress me :p

Look for jobs that won't depress you? If you can't get them, work on obtaining the skills etc to get the jobs.

Soldato
Issue with that is lack of experience doing anything else.

Only ever done IT installations, testing and Support really.

Do stuff in your own time? Even if you don't have the exact experience you can still obtain some knowledge. That will help, doing nothing won't.

Caporegime
Do stuff in your own time? Even if you don't have the exact experience you can still obtain some knowledge. That will help, doing nothing won't.

Well, yes, I can pick any old course to do in in aw of that, still wouldn't have the foggyist on what to do though.

And you're forgetting my original post, I have no money! :p

Soldato
Well, yes, I can pick any old course to do in in aw of that, still wouldn't have the foggyist on what to do though.

And you're forgetting my original post, I have no money! :p

Well, I think it's your attitude, rather than your wallet, that is the problem. There are numerous opportunities available, you just need to find the right one. You might not get to your end goal straight away but you can still make baby steps.

The alternative is to keep doing what you're doing :)

Why not look at going into testing? Become a test analyst. If you dont have the specific experience then draw upon the testing logic that you do know and sharpen up by doing some testing online projects/courses/research?

These took me 1 min to find:

http://www.softwaretestinghelp.com/free-online-software-testing-qa-training-course/

https://www.utest.com/projects

https://dzone.com/articles/top-18-blogs-about-software-testing-you-should-fol

Sure, it might not be what you want to do but it's a start and who knows what doors it'll open?

Last edited:
Soldato
I prefer to work during the day, if I liked working evenings or wanted to get called at 2am I'd be doing that already :p

Well, I wont accept your complaints about being skint then ;) as I said earlier, it's the attitude and nothing else; the world owes us all diddly squat... not much out there worth doing is easy...

Back
Top Bottom