This Business and Moment...

Caporegime
Well, I wont accept your complaints about being skint then ;) as I said earlier, it's the attitude and nothing else; the world owes us all diddly squat... not much out there worth doing is easy...

I get your point,but I could easily get another IT job working on call rotas, but I'd just end up with more money, no time to actually use it and depressed. :p

Soldato
OP
Still no job. I am contemplating selling pulled pork sandwiches to businesses at lunch haha at first I was only kidding, then I was like actually, that sounds like a great idea. Real jobs for people doing ****** things just drive me up the wall.

We're just about to finally start seeking some VC capital with Path now, so I'm kinda like meh, if I can scrape by making pork until I have some cash in, that would be fine. Just need to ensure we raise now!

Caporegime
Still no job. I am contemplating selling pulled pork sandwiches to businesses at lunch haha at first I was only kidding, then I was like actually, that sounds like a great idea. Real jobs for people doing ****** things just drive me up the wall.

We're just about to finally start seeking some VC capital with Path now, so I'm kinda like meh, if I can scrape by making pork until I have some cash in, that would be fine. Just need to ensure we raise now!

Long as you can source it cheap enough it could work

Caporegime
pffft make it yourself. Pulled pork is bloomin easy :p - slow cook it the day before. Can do it yourself for very very cheap.

It just means your house will smell of pulled pork all the time. Which, may or may not drive you nuts if you're trying to lose weight :p

Soldato
OP
We've got our white paper pretty much at an acceptable point at the moment, I'm finishing up our pitch deck and currently putting last touches on our utility token model projections based on use etc. we have someone going to token fest this week and another going to an event in Seattle. I have a wicked team on this, which is such a nice feeling. I can literally do the things I am good at and delegate other things to others.

Our smart contract is sorted, as much as it can be at the moment, we have essentially a prototype protocol exchange of data for tokens etc. and we've mocked up some UI so that we can at least show something, too.

Got back from the UK late Sunday and my wife has now decided she wants to move back and would like to be outside Manchester in the country near my brother and his wife. Shame it's bloody next to Knutsford and a house like ours is about 800k at the low end, and she'd earn about 30% of what she earns here after tax. I've said if we get our funding and I'm not completely out of a job with no money like I am now, I'll go anywhere. I don't have ties here. Just need to be able to afford a house :p

Caporegime
Wife got the job she was super excited about \o/

She's in there now discussing a start date and the offer. I hope she doesn't get carried away and actually gives herself a break! Ether way I am chuffed for her :)

Man of Honour
Well, currently loving being out of work. I had planned on doing an exam this week, probably ICND 2 as I'm about 5 years behind sitting it (been doing CCNP level stuff for some years now) but I've ended up playing a lot on my Switch, sorting the garage out, clearing out clutter from the house.

A few weeks ago I spotted a contract role 2 miles away doing what I do best which is VMware and MS, put my CV in and the recruitment lass emailed me back that evening asking for some more details. This is where it got a little odd. She never picked up her office phone or replied to emails, so I rang her mobile. She said she was caught at home in the snow (understandable) and had put my CV to the hiring manager. I then heard nothing, so chased her and she said it had gone in last Monday. I then heard nothing back, until Saturday at about 7pm offering me an interview for the Monday. I confirmed and I was meant to be getting a final confirmation, then again heard nothing back. Tried calling, no answer, emailed asking for the confirmation and some other details. No reply, just a Google calendar invite.

The time for the interview came, no call, so I double checked and she'd written Monday but put yesterdays date in. Well, had the call with the employers Tech Architect, went super well and he said he'd be putting in his recommendation to hire me. Not sure when this agent will be getting back to me but she's completely rubbish and I have a feeling I've been duped out of some money and a larger agency has handed the role to her. Still, it's more than I was on last, a longer contract and closer to home so I guess as long as I get the role and invoices are paid it doesn't matter too much.

That said, I'd have expected to have had a phone call today as most agents do post interview, I'll give her to 2pm then give her a call where I expect there'll be no answer.

Soldato
My current work day can be summed up as wanting to cry, punch something and stab somebody all at the same time, for 10-12 hours a day.

In touch with recruiters again, time to get out fast. I know that nobody is indispensable, and the company will always find a way to carry on, but if I manage to get out they're going to be ****ed in the short term.

Soldato
Completed the machine learning course on Coursera today. Definitely recommended to anyone that wants to get that keyword on their CV.

Bit of a slog studying an hour each morning before heading to work, but only a few days a week for a couple months. You can run through the lectures on the mobile app so great if you've got a commute.

Caporegime
On a working week in Bucharest right now. It's been a great week of networking and meeting people then putting the names to faces etc. Really productive. Also I am working on some tasks internally in the team which is getting me some really good exposure. Overall things going well I feel.

Soldato
OP
I feel a bit bipolar at the moment*. I'm in this up and down, rollercoaster ride of life. I think I should be more stressed than I am half the time, but then I have pangs of worry every now and then. Having spent my families life savings on emotuit, and being 3 days from my last day of paid work and nothing lined up, you'd think I would be dying from stress. Don't get me wrong, I have my moments. I just ******* hate this place though, and I will miss the wage, I can't wait to see the back of it now. It's almost liberating, as long as we can keep above water that is, anyway.

Money raising on Path is slow, as it always is with anything, but we're in a good position for it and I'm working on an utterly game changer of a partnership as well, which is all good. I might just have to live off cupboard stock and ramen noodles for a while first.

The money pit emotuit sucks my money no more, but mainly as I have none haha but things are starting to shift slightly. I'm working on a partnership deal with a university where we get to use their students, courses etc. as well as their data (they're looking at text analysis from chatbots to analyse student behaviour) and layer it over our emotional response data. We would also get access to their dev/data science resources. The end result is, what I hope for, a more feature rich emotuit, with a study published showing improved learning outcomes based on our data. Being education, just to get to this point is slow as ****. Painfully.
On top of that I am trying to move our cloud provider as we ran out of Azure credit for free, so it's like 2k a month, I've powered it all off and deleted a load of stuff but jumping ship to try and wangle an AWS deal, so speaking to them on Tues.
Some potentially good news from it this side; I met with big Pharma company Roche yesterday who want to use emotuit to analyse some onboarding for a very specific niche group as it's critical to have people up to speed as soon as possible. They actually have a number of use cases, but this was the most burning. It wouldn't be an off the shelf plugin, but a custom solution, which they were happy with. I am really going to try and drive this to produce some cash from it. Could be a great relationship in the corporate sector. They have much shorter sales cycles and way more cash lol

Few more days left and I can be fully flying solo. You know what they say...

The-World-Rewards-Risk-Takers-Quote-Dan-Pearce.png

*I'm not, and it's nothing against being bipolar etc etc etc bla bla

Soldato
I feel a bit bipolar at the moment*. I'm in this up and down, rollercoaster ride of life. I think I should be more stressed than I am half the time, but then I have pangs of worry every now and then. Having spent my families life savings on emotuit, and being 3 days from my last day of paid work and nothing lined up, you'd think I would be dying from stress. Don't get me wrong, I have my moments. I just ******* hate this place though, and I will miss the wage, I can't wait to see the back of it now. It's almost liberating, as long as we can keep above water that is, anyway.

Sounds like you've just had enough of the place - also, from reading your previous posts, it looks as if you've exhausted all possible angles to remain or pursue new opportunities internally. We speak to many candidates who have hit the same point - especially those with going concerns elsewhere, like you do with Path and emotuit - and a large number feel as if the chains have been lifted off as soon as they step out of the building on their final day. If you got irons in the fire elsewhere, there's no point sticking it out at a firm that makes you miserable simply by being there. Hope you find something you enjoy doing more soon!

We've had a weird start to the year. September last year I pitched in an idea to the CEO of a potential new client - I was actually mid-way through my wedding menu tasting meal, so had to get permission form my other half to make the call... which itself took place in the same room we got married in a couple of months later! The short of it is that as of a couple of weeks ago, and after significant time, energy, effort, frustration and other resources, I've just completed an absolutely massive ******* piece of business - the biggest recruitment fee I've ever heard of :eek: (of course there are loads of higher fees out there, but I've not come across one like this before). I've been trying not to get carried away, keep my feet on the ground, and keep focused for the year ahead. But it's strange feeling knowing that we've just completed a singular piece of business, in theory, which is just above our typical annual revenue - that annual revenue is normally made up of around 15-20 deals. It has allowed my to sit down with my colleague to put together the beginnings of a proper strategy for his 18/19 year though, which has already started to yield result.

I'm trying to keep my head down, with the intention of doubling up this year, as it were, but it's tough to keep motivated. I, strangely, feel a bit lost/empty at this point... but in a very happy way! :p

Edit - I'm well aware of how self-congratulatory the above sounds :p, but I don't really have many people to share it with, as iit's not the sort of thing I'd bring up with most of my mates!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom