This is for 16 - 17 year olds

Ok how many of you meet all the following criteria (or did)

1, Fall into the age bracket
2, Go to college full time
3, Have a job (part time)

Im asking as my son is almost 17, goes to college and i keep badgering him to get a job but it seems to fall on deaf ears / he cant be bothered. I appreciate he goes to college and has that to contend with but i really cant see any reason why he couldnt do a partime job - its not like he doesnt have the time. The way i look at it, not only will it give him spending money and teach him a certain amount of finacial responsability it will also give some experience when he leaves college and needs a full time job. If anyone out there falls into the critera above please post your views.

if his course is a full time course then no, in my opinion you shouldnt be badgering him. I left home at 16 and went to college at 18 and as a result of less than supportive parents i had to also work, i would get up at 7, college for 9, finish at 4:30 in work for 6 finish at 10 home at 11:30. the two took up my free time, i was constantly knackered, utterly miserable and in the end my education suffered as a result.

if its a full time course then 1, you should be happy he is in education, 2, he needs your support, hes a teenager, let him be one.

remember, his work load will only increase over the duration of the course.

Soldato
When I was at Sixth Form, I didn't work during term. Worked over the summer break to build up some money, but there's no way I could have done a part-time job, I valued the relaxation time too much.

My friend got a job in JD Sports, it would cost him more than an hour's wages to get there and back on the bus...

Soldato
if his course is a full time course then no, in my opinion you shouldnt be badgering him. I left home at 16 and went to college at 18 and as a result of less than supportive parents i had to also work, i would get up at 7, college for 9, finish at 4:30 in work for 6 finish at 10 home at 11:30. the two took up my free time, i was constantly knackered, utterly miserable and in the end my education suffered as a result.

if its a full time course then 1, you should be happy he is in education, 2, he needs your support, hes a teenager, let him be one.

remember, his work load will only increase over the duration of the course.

I can see that working every night would be detrimental to your education. Getting a weekend job however? Not a problem :)

Soldato
I'm 20 and my Dad has been nagging me to get a job since I was 16 lol.

I just can't be bothered while I'm in full time education, I don't need the money so I see no reason to have a job.

I love the feeling of getting home from a hard day at Uni (OK, maybe a 1 hour lecture) and having sod all else to do the rest of the day. Having a job would just constrict my leisure time and activities and we can't be having that now can we.

Soldato
1 - Yes
2 - Yes
3 - No, partly because i finish at 4 every day..not many part time jobs that'll take about an hour and a half, depending where i work :p. Partly i cant be bothered..will be getting a full time job come May(ish) hopefully.

I can see that working every night would be detrimental to your education. Getting a weekend job however? Not a problem :)

whilst that may not be detrimental to his education, pushing him into it will simply make him resentful of the entire idea. let him make his own decisions. He isn't a child any more and he is doing something with his life. no need to push more for now.

Soldato
whilst that may not be detrimental to his education, pushing him into it will simply make him resentful of the entire idea.

I disagree. I was pushed into getting a job by my father and am extremely grateful for it.

let him make his own decisions. He isn't a child any more and he is doing something with his life. no need to push more for now.

The whole point is that until you've actually started employment you pretty much ARE still a child. Getting a job will teach responsibility and aid in maturing, not to mention provide spare funds and facilitate the meeting of new people.

Soldato
Id say, college always comes first. If the grades are good, then a job is a good idea. If the grades are bad, then a job really isnt the best idea as more time obviously needs to be spent on school work.

Soldato
when i was at college i couldnt afford to run my car or go out without a job! too many kids today living off their 'rents IMO. take so many things for granted.

AGD

AGD

Soldato
Have a fixed allowance and if he wants more money he'll have to get a job. My parents did this with my sister and me and it worked fine. She wanted to spend more money so got a job, I wasn't bothered so didn't. Simple.

I don't think a job at that age is necessary, it depends on what you want to do in the future.

Soldato
when i was at college i couldnt afford to run my car or go out without a job! too many kids today living off their 'rents IMO. take so many things for granted.

Some people have to accept money from parents because they get screwed over in other ways.

I got no EMA whilst at college and even now at Uni I get £800 a term student loan (compared to all my mates who get over £2,000 and some of that is a grant).

Now I guess I'm lucky (even though what I do get given is no where near what I would get if my Dad didn't fall over the income brackets for student loans) that my Dad gives me a small amount to live off while I'm still in full time education. I just feel sorry for the people who have rich parents, therefore don't get the money from EMA/Student Loan and their parents give them nothing either.

Fair enough, you could say get a job and it's teaching them a lesson. But I agree with the people who have posted before me, the education should take priority while you're there.

Associate
Fair enough, you could say get a job and it's teaching them a lesson. But I agree with the people who have posted before me, the education should take priority while you're there.

Yep its education first. We were told that any1 at college shouldn't do more than 10 hours a week

Now 19

when i was 16/17 i got ema for the first year (then my mum got a pay rise)
in the second year i worked from November till early March saved enough to live off it for the rest of my time at college (was kinda skint for a lot of it but i got by)

what really annoyed me was the was some1 on my course who got £30 a month huge bonus's and did hardley any of the work (they failed in the end) i dont mind people who are working at there education getting money but those who dont just annoy me.

Back
Top Bottom