This is getting ridiculous (energy prices - Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
Wonder why Yorkshire get cheapest electricity rates on tracker. Ours tend to be around a penny more per KWH

I guess a better question why the different rates between regions

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Not had that email yet but the SC is already almost 50p per day so increasing it further is a blatant rip off. Something has to change!! The government decoupling electricity prices from gas would be a start but it doesn't look like that will happen even though it really should with the switch to renewables.

For me the Tracker tariff has been a big win. I am paying the same £150 a month as this time last year and despite using a similar amount of electricity and a tad more gas my account credit balance is actually increasing by around £45 a month instead of rapidly going down. Our coldest period (Feb-Mar) is coming up so the credit increase will most likely slow down but will still be there. Usually I end up owing them around £60 after the Winter but it's looking more and more as if they will owe me for a change.

Soldato
Is it worth shopping around for a better deal yet? I used to move every couple of years using MSE Energy Club, not had a notification from them for a while now and it appears they've paused it until competitive rates are available again....

I'm currently with Ovo on the 'Simpler Energy' plan.
  • Electricity shows as 27.07/kWh with a 55.88p/a day standing charge
  • Gas is 7.25/kWh with a 28.18/a day standing charge

Soldato
Forgot to include the increase haha

Electric was 48.290p going to 55.377p
Gas was 26.838p going to 27.468p
Found my own figures at last - Electric is going up from 44.121p to 48.657p. Gas is going from 26.838p to 27.468p just the same as yours. Quite a difference in the electric standing charge

Soldato
Is it worth shopping around for a better deal yet? I used to move every couple of years using MSE Energy Club, not had a notification from them for a while now and it appears they've paused it until competitive rates are available again....

Everyone is mostly the same on fixed plans with no real difference.

Octopus tracker is where its at for reducing bills down. I cannot think of a good reason not to (use a refferal for free credit!)

Always allowed to leave at any point in time as your not tied in.

This is my last bill to show unit rates, it's so much lower.

With the incoming increases its around 2.3p on electric higher and 0.38p on gas. So it's still cheaper than any fixed plan by a good chunk.

Before the winter it hovered around 15-19p on electric and 5p on gas.

Last edited:
Soldato

I'm the same as you, swapped all the time but been with EDF for 3 years now (2 on a fix and 1 on their SVR). I watched the latest Martin Lewis show this morning and he said it's not really worth fixing just yet (for most people) so it looks like I'll be staying with EDF for the forseeable future. My current rates are:

Elec - Unit Rate (UR) 28.78p and Standing Charge (SC) 49.96p
Gas - UR 7.52p SC 29.59p

It seems to me that the companies are now just ripping us off by hiking the SC more and more.

Soldato
What's confusing is that I thought a few months ago they stated the price of oil/Gas had reduced and was on a decline, yet the rates we are offered have not improved.
Another eyebrow raise is some of the profits the Energy companies post (boast). So despite the cry of fuel price hikes for when they purchase it, they still seem to be doing very well out of it, and that's just what they admit to making...

Soldato
I'm the same as you, swapped all the time but been with EDF for 3 years now (2 on a fix and 1 on their SVR). I watched the latest Martin Lewis show this morning and he said it's not really worth fixing just yet (for most people) so it looks like I'll be staying with EDF for the forseeable future. My current rates are:

Elec - Unit Rate (UR) 28.78p and Standing Charge (SC) 49.96p
Gas - UR 7.52p SC 29.59p

It seems to me that the companies are now just ripping us off by hiking the SC more and more.

Even though Tracker has increased, you'd still be better off on it.

Plus you get £50 if you get a referral.

Back
Top Bottom