This is getting ridiculous (energy prices - Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
Actually a fixed price for all keeps prices higher not lower. Energy is usually only expensive for 3 hours a day... but you pay a higher price the other 21hours to subsidise that. So tin foil off, the potential here is for saving money not costing you more.

While I completely agree with what you are saying, somehow, I doubt that will be how it works out. :rolleyes:

Soldato
Actually a fixed price for all keeps prices higher not lower. Energy is usually only expensive for 3 hours a day... but you pay a higher price the other 21hours to subsidise that. So tin foil off, the potential here is for saving money not costing you more.

If your smart meter works properly anyways: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cz9zqn77ezno

Yeah, its proportionally small but still, its on the rise.

Associate
I think a lot to do with this is that the government hasn't got an energy policy and they know darn well that they just aren't going to have enough electricity to go round in future, so they are pushing any scheme that makes what they have got go further.

It was always suspected that different charge rates was the real reason they wanted smart-meters, that together with not requiring so many feet on the ground to read them. Their excuse of "it will help customers save energy" was just absolutely ridiculous.

Yes, they don't know how to deal with it. Then again they are asking people to cut back yet at the same time pushing people into electric cars etc..

SPG

SPG

Soldato
The regulator is a toothless & corrupt GOVERMENT department. It is not fit for purpose and needs to be disbanded

The entire house of Thatcherism is going to come tumbling down. With our pathetic net zero targets which are going to harm the UK more than any of our competitors it's pathetic.

Associate
Have been on a surge pricing/time of use tariff (what ever you want to call it) for years and it's been fantastic. Saved a boat load of cash, in fact most months they end up paying me money. If this brings about the end of the standing charge, I am all for it.

Soldato
Did the March readings yesterday so can work out the 6 month "Winter" usage (Oct 1st to March 31st)

Elec - 666kWh (£186.20)
Gas - 2,327kWh (£162.63 cost)

For funsies, my standing charges for that same period are:

Elec - £96.97 (or £34% of my total elec bill)
Gas - £40.23 (or 20% of my total gas bill)
30% of my bill is SC

Last edited:
Soldato
My cheap EDF deal came to an end so went onto Octopus 1st April, was a nasty shock to see my IHD cost next day, reading about 40% higher :(
Something to get used to I suppose, I was very lucky to be on that cheap deal for 3 years, and with luck missed the worst of it for now. Signed up for Tracker now so will see how that works out...

Soldato
I pinged an email to Octopus yesterday (I chance it every now and then) asking for an IHD. They replied saying one is on the way :D

This is the fourth or fifth time asking, and 18 months since I moved in. Score. No idea what to do with it/where to put it tho :cry:

Soldato
The energy companies sure try to keep getting more off me by increasing the SC :p

In fact I just had a look at the new tariffs for when I come off my 1 Year fix in August and the SC for Gas and Elec will BOTH go up 10p/day to 63.31p (elec) and 31.67p (gas) so, for all intents and puproses, its going to cost me £30/month before I have used a single kWh... To put it in context - in circa 2020, my monthly bill was £33 TOTAL.

How they can justify a 20% increase on Elec and 48% increase in Gas SC in 1 year is just mind blowing :eek:

Back
Top Bottom